Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many people with Koni Sport dampers on 4th and 5th gen Preludes have been having major problems with stripping the rear lower mounting bolt and/or the nut welded to the Koni's lower mount. I just worked on installing my suspension last weekend, and I now believe I know what the problem is...

Looks almost OK in this view, but something is not quite right...


The lower prongs are not perpendicular!! In fact, they are *very* off... this is more evident when I thread the mounting bolt in the other side of the nut...


Here's another view. The longer shaft of this screwdriver helps illustrate just how off the angle is between the two prongs... Very *not* straight! The flat screwdriver handle is pressed flush against the surface of the nut. Not good...


Hmmm... This looks like a job for - Brute Force!!!
I ended up sticking one prong in a vice. I tightend the vice, then bent the shock forward in very small increments. Then I'd pull it out of the vice, try to thread the bolt by hand, then bend some more... Once I got it very close, I stuck both prongs in the vice and clamped it to pinch them together a little more until the prongs were perpendicular and I could thread the mounting bolt manually.

From all accounts that I've heard so far, this issue with the Koni Sports seems to only have become a problem with Koni parts purchased from mid 2000 and on. I purchased mine from Carparts.com in late December 2000. People who got their Konis before spring/summer 2000 don't seem to have encountered this issue...

If you are having a shop or someone else install your Koni's, make sure they are aware of this potential problem!!

Andrew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
This is very true, I had this same problem this past weekend. One of them was like this, and I didn't realize it until I put it on my car and stripped the bolt and nut. I had to cut off the nut and buy a new bolt and nut in order to put it on my car. I made sure the other one lined up before I put it on the car.

I wish you would have posted this before last weekend.
Good post with the pics though. This should be very helpful for other people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
thanks, I think I've made up my mind and not go with the koni setup. Muuuuuuuuuuuugen Showa is my choice now, now I have to find the $$$ somewhere, anyone want to give me a hand???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,437 Posts
i'll have this thread archived after we get some more response.


------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by badmuthrfkr:
I'd be taking her to a nice italian restaurant because italian food is my favorite so even if the date goes sour, at least I got to eat something I love.</font>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lude2k:
thanks, I think I've made up my mind and not go with the koni setup. Muuuuuuuuuuuugen Showa is my choice now, now I have to find the $$$ somewhere, anyone want to give me a hand???
</font>
I just can't see spending $1300+ for the non-adjustable Mugen Showa suspension... The only real advantage I can see with the Mugen kit, is that the coilover assembly comes complete with the top shock mount, washers, and dustboot - making the install very easy.

I went with the Koni Sports with infinite rebound dampening adjustment and multiple spring mounts to adjust ride height. For springs, I have Tanabe SuperHs which are about 30% stiffer than stock and lower 1". For less than $600 shipped, I got what I feel will make a better setup than the $1300 Mugen kit.

If I wanted to get the additional OEM upper mount hardware, like the Mugen kit, I could get it for about $250. So call it $850 total for the koni/tanabe adjustable setup with Honda upper mounts VS $1300+ship for the non-adjustable Mugen kit... I couldn't justify it.

I still can't comment on the ride and performance yet, as my car is still being put together...


Andrew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
andrew

got any pics of the car now that its lowered also did you get evrything installled in time for pocono

------------------
for sale:18" giovviona kuji rims w/toyo t1-s 215-35-18
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rf7475:

I wish you would have posted this before last weekend.
Good post with the pics though. This should be very helpful for other people.
</font>
Yeah, sorry! We worked on mine on just this past Saturday afternoon and I just unloaded my camera today... BTW, Thanks again for the help on my bumpstop/washer issue!

Andrew
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by g5luder:
andrew

got any pics of the car now that its lowered also did you get evrything installled in time for pocono

</font>
No pics yet... The car is still in the air in my friend's garage. For Pocono, I will have at least my suspension on along with my header and cat-back... If I have time this weekend, I'll put on my AEM CAI and/or V-AFC... I'm cutting it very close


Andrew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aklucsarits:
I just can't see spending $1300+ for the non-adjustable Mugen Showa suspension... The only real advantage I can see with the Mugen kit, is that the coilover assembly comes complete with the top shock mount, washers, and dustboot - making the install very easy.

I went with the Koni Sports with infinite rebound dampening adjustment and multiple spring mounts to adjust ride height. For springs, I have Tanabe SuperHs which are about 30% stiffer than stock and lower 1". For less than $600 shipped, I got what I feel will make a better setup than the $1300 Mugen kit.

If I wanted to get the additional OEM upper mount hardware, like the Mugen kit, I could get it for about $250. So call it $850 total for the koni/tanabe adjustable setup with Honda upper mounts VS $1300+ship for the non-adjustable Mugen kit... I couldn't justify it.

I still can't comment on the ride and performance yet, as my car is still being put together...


Andrew
</font>
yeah my main reason for the mugen is that it is a straight drop in, no hastle and no pain. I have to swap the suspension in and out for winter so I don't want to make and mods to the stock unit to make the konis fit and have to change back again. I'll pay extra for less headaches.

I get your point too, it is costly so I'll have to tape up my piggy bank and save
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Orginally posted by aklucsarits:
Yeah, sorry! We worked on mine on just this past Saturday afternoon and I just unloaded my camera today... BTW, Thanks again for the help on my bumpstop/washer issue!

Andrew
</font>
Just kidding. I did mine on this past Saturday too, morning though. No problem with the bump stops.

Are you enjoying them as much as I am?
 

·
www.ntpog.org
Joined
·
7,699 Posts
I plan to get those, so how would i correct the problem?

Also Does Mugen make shox for 4th Gens? if so, wheres the site i can order them at?

------------------
Luder

Owner of a 94' VTEC Lude
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
951 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lude2k:
thanks, I think I've made up my mind and not go with the koni setup. Muuuuuuuuuuuugen Showa is my choice now, now I have to find the $$$ somewhere, anyone want to give me a hand???
</font>
This is NOT a good reason not to buy the Koni's. I'll never understand how people can be "flipped" so easily by one post.

Great post though...



[This message has been edited by baked (edited May 02, 2001).]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,091 Posts
That's interesting- out of about 10 times of installing Konis on 3 or 4 different cars, I've never seen or had this problem. Not once.

Might be a good idea to notify Koni on this one, they should fix the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
Andrew, I see you are plagued with the same problem that affects ALL white preludes...(hint: look at the rear bumper):



God, I hate it when it rains

------------------

'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor
Going to replace the springs w/ a set of GC's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,437 Posts
archived.


------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by badmuthrfkr:
I'd be taking her to a nice italian restaurant because italian food is my favorite so even if the date goes sour, at least I got to eat something I love.</font>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:
archived.


</font>
Wait! Wait, not yet!


I ran into the same problem with my koni's (lost some threads on one bolt but was able to salvage it!). I had no idea it was this prevalent. Koni definitely needs to be informed. If I remember correctly the main problem's the nuts are being welded on crookedly, causing the cross threading. A serious lack of quality assurance on Koni's part, very disappointed.
There is a less brute force way of fixing the Koni's with this problem, though. Get a tap and rethread the nut. That part was pretty easy, but I admit my machinist friend did all the salvaging. The real hard part was salvaging the bolt. That took some serious skills on my friends part. It's a sick feeling when you realized you've cross threaded and stripped such an important bolt, and your car is stranded sticking halfway out of the garage at you friends work, oh, and you have no other transportation!!!
After salvaging the bolt we put the stock suspension back on the rear. What's funny as hell is that we'd already done the fronts!!! I felt like such a chump driving to the hardware store (to get the tap) with a dropped front and a stock rear!


I have the koni's and eibachs installed in the crappy pic below. (Still need to buy a new bolt, i'm such a lazy ass).



------------------
OOkie
2000pearlWHITEbase

Cripes! Another white 5th gen.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top