Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
The ball joint recall? That's been around for a long time. I think it's only for 97s and 98s, though.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
997 Posts
R u talking about the gasket or ring recall for early 5th gens?

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by preludeprincess:
i'm referring to the engine oil leak sealant recall.</font>
You must be referring to the front balancer shaft oil seal recall. It only effected the first 8k or so preludes in 97. Mine is supposedly in the recally but I haven't got a notice. I'm going to ask the shop to install the retainer when I get my timing belt changed.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by preludeprincess:
Hi Gabe,
do you happen to know what does the balance shaft do? and why it needs to be sealed?
</font>
The balancer shafts are used to cancel out (equalize) vibrations due to a 4-banger's natural tendencies. The seal is necessary as the balancer shafts are bathed in oil. I believe the H22/H23 were the only engines to get these (F blocks too?). The B series don't have them from what I recall.

If you lose that seal you'll lose all your oil. It's something that should be done if you were affected.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If the balancer shaft seal breaks, oil everywhere. It happened to me but I have a 4G. I heard it only affected a couple 5Gs.

jp

·
Registered
800 Posts
The balancer shafts are not the problem, it's the oil seal on the balancer shaft. Over time the front balancer shaft oil seal may back out of the oil pump. This will lead to a huge oil leak where the oil seal is and you will lose all of the oil in your engine. To prevent this Honda is installing a little "C" clip retainer in the shaft so that it cannot back out of the pump.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gabe:
The balancer shafts are not the problem, it's the oil seal on the balancer shaft. Over time the front balancer shaft oil seal may back out of the oil pump. This will lead to a huge oil leak where the oil seal is and you will lose all of the oil in your engine. To prevent this Honda is installing a little "C" clip retainer in the shaft so that it cannot back out of the pump.

Gabe

</font>
have you seen what it looks like?? it looks pretty cool. When i had an oil change a few weeks ago, one of the guys had never seen one on any honda before. He said, and i quote "dem preludes must have that new honduh technology" haha
I didn't have the heart to tell him..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.