Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Oil Pan - Will a 4th Gen Fit A 5th?

I live in Iowa and we had a horrible below zero cold a couple days ago and I was out xmas shopping and in the process I think I hit a large chuck of snow and ice that was like a rock because it was so cold out and I cracked my oil pan, I think it happened while I was drifting through a parking lot because it was like a sheet of ice and was hella fun, but I'm not willing to admit that to myself till after I fix the pan :)
I drive about 15 mins and it leaks out 5 quarts so it seems welding is out of the question, a new pan from Honda is 256.00, the parts store I go to can get me a new pan for a 95 and the guy there says it'll work right and that a pan from 92-01 and anything from the H22 and H23 will work, he says that there were no changes to the engine from 92-01 except some header spacing but I wanted to make sure before I get it ordered, take the old one out and then it doesn't fit and I'm really screwed. Thank you for your time.

Stevo

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I did a little more looking and calling around and I'm told the bolt pattern for the prelude oil pan has been the same since 92, can anyone confirm or deny this??

Also does that mean that the oil amount and pressure is going to be the same to??

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
H22a = H22a, even the A4 is the same i believe.
Nice. It was crazy trying to get this info, no computer from a parts store says that the 92-96 will work, they all say that the part can only be gotten from the dealer and that just seemed way to ridicules to me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out that it was the oil cooler o-ring under the oil filter housing, a $3.55 part from Honda, found this out after investigating about every possible thing from the oil pan up, finding no cracks in the pan, all the rubbers on the sensors were good and then being under it, having it turned over and watching it squirt out from behind the oil filter. It took a very large socket from Auto Zone, the O-Ring from Honda, about 8 hours of work and investigation and a lot of patience from my friend and I (we did this on Christmas Eve Day), to get it all fixed.

I'm told this part will blow out when you start your car cold and considering it all happened when it was below zero out it all makes sense. So if you have oil leaking out at about a quart a mile, going totally dry on you when you pull the stick, it smells of burning oil when you stop and it's all over the ground and you can't figure it out this is a possible culprit.

I did end up ordering a used oil pan off of a 94 so if anyone does come into needing a pan I will have a spare one for a bit as well. Thank you to those that commented and offered pans, I wish you and your rides all the best.

·
Registered
170 Posts
yes it fits. I have a H23 pan on my h22a4. H23 pan is stronger (good if car is lowered)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 4th gen comes with rubber around the oil pan, like a rubber gasket if it makes sense, should I eliminate that rubber and buy the half moon gasket that is used for the 5th gen oil pan or what?
yes it fits. I have a H23 pan on my h22a4. H23 pan is stronger (good if car is lowered)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
You use the gasket that matches the pan not the engine, blocks are the same, reason why sealing is different is because a steel pan wont seal against a aluminum surface without a rubber gasket. If you use the steel pan you'll need the gasket, the other is just honda bond with that little gasket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts