Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many people are in the market for a new clutch (myself included), and I would like to know what the 5th gen market is using. Now I know everyone has different applications and different uses (drag, auto-cross, street, daily driver) so for argument sake, we are talking about the Daily driver/Street use here (Nothing past stage 3). Drag people opinions are appreciated, however I'm tying to target standard mods here no forced induction. IMO forced induction people are a different animal here. If we have to put a hp number, lets set the bar no higher than 300hp.

Brands of choice I have found and interested in are:
1). Clutch Masters
2). Exedy
3). Centerforce
4). Competition Clutch
5). ACT
6). Spec

Which brand is most reliable, and acceptable?

·
The Cheeze
1,704 Posts
exedy = bad

stock clutches are made by exedy.

I personally LOVE my Centerforce Stage II. Nice extra grip, stiffer plate, holds up well on track days etc. Mechanic swears by them, etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have a Competition Clutch?

They are based where I'm from here in ATL, many reviews of other car owners have loved them. Any Lude owners with one? Also what kind of flywheel are you running?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a competition clutch. Stage 3 with an 11lbs fly wheel.

It cant hold my power after three runs on the dyno. its strange cause its rated up to 400whp

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
All of them are reliable, i think...
This is exactly why you can't ask this question. I feel almost the same way about tires / brake pads / etc.

People have vast amounts of differences in opinions on long term items like these. You normally don't change them until they've worn out at which point anything is better.

Yes, there are exceptions but how many people just go through clutches??? I have only had 2 clutches in 60k (and that's after the car already had 60k).

People have different applications and whatnot. That's why I say this thread has already failed at the most core question.

Yes you can ask for opinions but you need a little more opinion other than "hrm I bought this clutch and that's about it"....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is exactly why you can't ask this question. I feel almost the same way about tires / brake pads / etc.

People have vast amounts of differences in opinions on long term items like these. You normally don't change them until they've worn out at which point anything is better.

Yes, there are exceptions but how many people just go through clutches??? I have only had 2 clutches in 60k (and that's after the car already had 60k).

People have different applications and whatnot. That's why I say this thread has already failed at the most core question.

Yes you can ask for opinions but you need a little more opinion other than "hrm I bought this clutch and that's about it"....

You opinion on this subject are valid but also pessimistic. Arguably my clutch is worn and anything would be better than what I have however, you are missing the point of the thread. I'm not asking what clutch brand to put in my Corvette, Dodge Dakota, or Miata-I'm asking which clutch is good in a specific automobile, the 5th Gen Prelude. Yes people are putting different clutches for different applications however useful information comes out of the thread non the less. For example, what if you were looking for which brand has positive results for longevity and wear/tear and which one has negative effects this thread becomes more valuable to others in the future. I'm not trying to start one of those threads that stay forever and people use it as a reference but I think that you should be less condescending and more liberal Petern101. This is the reason why Preludeonline exists and why you use it as a reference.

·
Merovingeon
561 Posts
I love my stock, oem clutch. Smooth engagement, works well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a competition clutch. Stage 3 with an 11lbs fly wheel.

It cant hold my power after three runs on the dyno. its strange cause its rated up to 400whp
did you not break your clutch in right? im running a competition clutch stg 4 (6 puck), with a light weight competition clutch flywheel. its kinda hard to not chirp the tires off the line under normal driving conditions(with out riding the clutch) but i am going to be boosted( thats why i got it) but i am going to be dailying it and have heard nothing but good from competition clutch and many of my friends and others ive talked to love them. bsides "geramy" i guess haha

oh and i only have 600 miles on mine and thats why i will not ride the clutch at all

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yeah it was broken in correctly. We called Competition clutch about it and they wanted to see my dyno... they were shocked when they saw how quick I make horse power and torque and they are the ones who suggested that I go with a twin disc.

under normal driving (bypass open, no boost) the clutch feels great, but once the bypass closes it starts to slip as it will make 280whp at just about any RPM.

did you not break your clutch in right? im running a competition clutch stg 4 (6 puck), with a light weight competition clutch flywheel. its kinda hard to not chirp the tires off the line under normal driving conditions(with out riding the clutch) but i am going to be boosted( thats why i got it) but i am going to be dailying it and have heard nothing but good from competition clutch and many of my friends and others ive talked to love them. bsides "geramy" i guess haha

oh and i only have 600 miles on mine and thats why i will not ride the clutch at all

·
Amanda's biatch
2,018 Posts
I have a competition stage 2 clutch.. I love it except it has way too much chatter during different conditions.. I plan on getting a centerforce dual friction clutch next. :)

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I'm putting an OEM exedy in my car within the next month or two. The car makes stock power and I honestly don't need anything more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the Competition Clutch stage 3 as well, and their 12lb flywheel. Holds great for my mild setup but it's kevlar so it can overheat pretty easily, but it will last virtually forever. I love this combo, but then again I'm probably only around 170-180whp

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
You opinion on this subject are valid but also pessimistic. Arguably my clutch is worn and anything would be better than what I have however, you are missing the point of the thread. I'm not asking what clutch brand to put in my Corvette, Dodge Dakota, or Miata-I'm asking which clutch is good in a specific automobile, the 5th Gen Prelude. Yes people are putting different clutches for different applications however useful information comes out of the thread non the less. For example, what if you were looking for which brand has positive results for longevity and wear/tear and which one has negative effects this thread becomes more valuable to others in the future. I'm not trying to start one of those threads that stay forever and people use it as a reference but I think that you should be less condescending and more liberal Petern101. This is the reason why Preludeonline exists and why you use it as a reference.
Okay, so tell me how many clutches are available when looking at H22 specific clutches?? You have oem, oem grade, aftermarket and then the various "stages" between all the aftermarket ones.

You forget the h22 was available for 10 years.

It might be pessimistic but it's the truth. How can you accuratly gauge how well a person opinionates a clutch when they might have 2 in the entire span of the life of the car.

If PO is a reference, why didn't you search? You act like you're the first person to wonder what clutch they want to buy. There are plenty of threads on the subject.

Even in your original post, you stated you wanted nothing more than a stage 3 clutch....why??? There are daily driven preludes who have stage 4 or whatever clutches and it's driven perfectly fine. Stages of clutches can only be compared within each company (just like tread wear ratings on tires). You can't say "stage 1 of company A" = "stage 1 clutch of company B". It just doesn't work that way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts