Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need some pointers. I have a 99 prelude that I just bought. I’ve replaced quite a few parts already- EGR valve, cat converter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, etc..
It is throwing misfire codes for every single cylinder as well as the random misfire code. It was ALOT worse before I replaced the spark plugs. Here’s the thing- I really only feel the misfires at around 2000 RPM in second gear and once every time I come to a stop. It starts and runs well all times besides that. Any ideas on what would cause a misfire but only on those conditions?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Kilewire, have you checked the compression on all 4 cylinders? If you replaced all those items, I'd check the compression on all cylinders. Do you know if the previous owner overheated the engine? If the engine was overheated you could have problems in the valves or head gasket. From my experience, I overheated my engine because the upper radiator hose failed on me. I replaced it and kept driving it, but it overheated to the point that I would get misfires and when idling or coming to a stop my car would turn off if I let the RPM's drop below 1.5k. Finally I got tired of driving like that and I opened up the engine and found out that I had two cracked valves. I swapped the engine head with another one that had good valves and the car has been running good since then. Luckily the pistons and engine block were still in good shape.

I didn't do the compression test on the cylinders because I had already gotten an engine and was set on replacing the engine. But I would recommend to start there to get some answers before opening up the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kilewire, have you checked the compression on all 4 cylinders? If you replaced all those items, I'd check the compression on all cylinders. Do you know if the previous owner overheated the engine? If the engine was overheated you could have problems in the valves or head gasket. From my experience, I overheated my engine because the upper radiator hose failed on me. I replaced it and kept driving it, but it overheated to the point that I would get misfires and when idling or coming to a stop my car would turn off if I let the RPM's drop below 1.5k. Finally I got tired of driving like that and I opened up the engine and found out that I had two cracked valves. I swapped the engine head with another one that had good valves and the car has been running good since then. Luckily the pistons and engine block were still in good shape.

I didn't do the compression test on the cylinders because I had already gotten an engine and was set on replacing the engine. But I would recommend to start there to get some answers before opening up the engine.
hey brod_preludesh ! Thanks for the heads up! I’ll definitely be checking that next! Just a little update: I checked my distributor rotor and it was half rusted out, so I replaced it and I didn’t feel a single misfire. UNTIL later in the day it started acting up again.. kind of strange. I’m also going to be replacing the distributor cap as well just in case. But compression check is definitely needed. Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
hey brod_preludesh ! Thanks for the heads up! I’ll definitely be checking that next! Just a little update: I checked my distributor rotor and it was half rusted out, so I replaced it and I didn’t feel a single misfire. UNTIL later in the day it started acting up again.. kind of strange. I’m also going to be replacing the distributor cap as well just in case. But compression check is definitely needed. Thanks!
For some reason I thought you had mentioned changing all those items. If you replaced spark plugs, spark plug cables including ignition coil cable, then you should of done distributor cap and rotor. Both cap and rotors should be replaced at the same time and try getting the same brand (Beck & Arnley is a decent brand). Once you've replaced all these check the spark at the wire. Do you have a spark tester? Make sure you are getting spark at the end of the plug wire. If you don't get spark maybe your ICM (Ignition Control Module) might need to be replaced.

Double check the spark plug wires are in the correct cylinder and order on the distributor cap, silly mistake but happens more often than you can imagine.

Were you careful when swapping the spark plug? I'd double check the gap (0.043 in.) in the spark plugs to make sure they are good.
When you changed the spark plugs did you notice any oil in them or inside the tube? If there is oil this can also cause spark problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts