Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what makes myh engine surge during idle from time to time? on my parents 91 civic back in the day i remember havfing this same issues. any ideas on what to do to fix it and or what is causing it to begin with? what i have is a h22a 98 base lude.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey neogenik,

I've got the same thing. Read long ago in a few different places that it is merely air in the cooling system.

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
On my 4th gen I had erratic rpm while idling along with while driving turned out to be my ignition control module inside of the distributor it’s a tiny little box and not too expensive to replace and is a really easy swap in the distributor

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's a nipple you can loosen (while running, so be careful) to let the air out When you get a steady stream of coolant, you've done the job. Sorry no pic, but it's on the passenger side between the engine and the windshield. Just follow a radiator hose back to where it attaches. You'll see the nipple. Do it as you are first warming up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having this problem also told might be a sensor for temp air mix something that keeps idle higher till temp sensor trips ..??

·
Registered
7 Posts
what makes myh engine surge during idle from time to time? on my parents 91 civic back in the day i remember havfing this same issues. any ideas on what to do to fix it and or what is causing it to begin with? what i have is a h22a 98 base lude.
Like Manana says, it's probably just air in the cooling system. Hunt that bleed nipple down and try that. IF you still have a surging idle, then it could be something else. Bleeding the air costs nothing and is easy to do. Probably try that first.
Enjoy your Honda. Good cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts