Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have moderate aftermarket cams, with a slightly lopey idle, and ofcourse have higher spring rates with them from Web Cams.

My question is, other than replacing the ECU, is there anyway to raise the rev limiter 500 rpms?

My car is running so good now, but I can tell its pulling dramatically harder right as the limiter kicks in. I think another 500 rpms would give a very noticable improvement.

Thanks for the help.

Warren

------------------
Warren

93 Prelude VTEC N/A (lots of mods) [email protected]

00 Honda Accord SE (stock)

[This message has been edited by VeeTec (edited April 22, 2001).]

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
i think the only way for you to raise the limiter is to get the ECU reprogrammed, by JET, superships, or another reputable company. I think it is possible to reprogram a 4th gen VTEC ecu, because it is OBD-1. What i would do is try to find a good used one and send it out to get reprogrammed, but just change the fuel cut. I wouldnt have them play with the fuel or timing, becasue i have heard some bad stories about ppl having this done, and the car running worse then before they had the ECU done. I think SCC did this on their project Probe GT and actually lost power when dynoing it (JET ecu). so i would just have them change the fuel cut. Just my thoughts on this.

------------------

99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dragazn:
check his web page, i think they firgure a way to like raise the fuel lim http://www.hondata.com/index.htm
i'm not god and not sure about this anyone with a knowledgeable about this plz clear it up. If we getthis thing do we still need to gt it to change to OBD1????
</font>
They're just advertising their reprogramming services. The 4th gen ECU is easily reprogrammable, this feature can be easily changed. Expect to pay at least $150 for it, though.

While you're at it you'd be foolish to not have the ECU modified to better work with the rest of your mods.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
They're just advertising their reprogramming services. The 4th gen ECU is easily reprogrammable, this feature can be easily changed. Expect to pay at least $150 for it, though.

While you're at it you'd be foolish to not have the ECU modified to better work with the rest of your mods.
</font>
Who does it for $150? That sounds reasonable.

Has anyone had this done?

I am still a bit hesitant about changing the
fuel/ignition mapping, but the rev limiter has to go higher to realize the full potential of these cams.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Shogun power tuner is said to be able to adjust the rev limit and also serves as a fuel controler.

At a cost of almost 450.00 though, and I do not know personally how good they are.

[This message has been edited by Luder-xhpx (edited April 22, 2001).]

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KaOs Prelude SH:
just buy an after market ignition with a rev limiter (msd) and put a higher pill</font>
That won't do him any good. The ECU is what controls the rev limit, not the ignition. You could set the rev limit as high as you wanted with an aftermarket ignition, you'd never reach that limit. Unless you downshifted into a wrong gear.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
i was wondering if you could go about it the other way around. could the *sensor* that the engine relies on to determine RPMs be modified to read lower than it actually is? or would the ECU just get confused because of other RPM specific variables?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gabe:
That won't do him any good. The ECU is what controls the rev limit, not the ignition. You could set the rev limit as high as you wanted with an aftermarket ignition, you'd never reach that limit. Unless you downshifted into a wrong gear.

Gabe

</font>

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:
i was wondering if you could go about it the other way around. could the *sensor* that the engine relies on to determine RPMs be modified to read lower than it actually is? or would the ECU just get confused because of other RPM specific variables?
</font>
I'm pretty sure that that would screw up the fuel curves and other things that depend partially on RPM's. But I'm not 100% sure.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the ignition route won't work because of the ECU, and neither will disabling the sensor. I was just trying to avoid sending my ECU off in the mail or UPS.

I don't guess anyone here has a raised rev limiter with their cams.

I will just call a few places and see what this is going to entail. I'll call Hondata first.

[This message has been edited by VeeTec (edited April 23, 2001).]

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VeeTec:
Yes the ignition route won't work because of the ECU, and neither will disabling the sensor. I was just trying to avoid sending my ECU off in the mail or UPS.

I don't guess anyone here has a raised rev limiter with their cams.

I will just call a few places and see what this is going to entail. I'll call Hondata first.

[This message has been edited by VeeTec (edited April 23, 2001).]
</font>
I sent my 4Gen ECU off to Japanese Automotive in Canada to have them rework the fuel and spark maps a bit, and to raise the fuel cutoff. They moved the fuel cutoff to 9k, but I am going to use an MSD ignition set to 8200 RPMs or so. He charges $300 to do an ECU reprogram, though. I don't know if he would charge less to just do the fuel cutoff or not. www.japanese-auto.com

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Billy, I'll check them out.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just called Hondata and they told me it will run $295 to change the ECU, raising the rev limiter and advancing the mapping 5 degrees.

I e-mailed japanese-auto.com and am awaiting their response.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts