Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Ok, first I had to get a new radiator fan, because the previous motor & fan was all worn out, but note, it still worked, just the part that held on the fan broke.

I went to autozone a while back and bought a new radiator fan motor for $54, it worked just fine amazingly, but at the end of the day I noticed the 15 amp fuse was blown, after messing around a lot I see the fuse blows everytime, so i just took out the fan and motor for now. I found the 4th generation online manual and tried some tests it was showing in order to find a short but I couldnt find the Radiator Fan timer device that is supposedly on the passenger side of the car or something. Anyways I was wondering if anyone has any idea what I should do in order to fix this so I can have a working radiator fan again. I have a multimeter..etc..just don't really have any idea if it could be a short or if the autozone motor is some how blowing the fuse or something. Any little things I should test or look for would be great

thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
check the realay which in the under dash fuse box and the thing it is talking about is next to the ecu under the passengers feet. lil black box. dunno how to check if its bad but good luck.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the relay, it "appears" to be fine, how can i tell if its bad?

also is that thing on the passanger side under some metal brackets i have to unbolt?

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
The thing under the passenger side is on the same panel the ECU is on. Just take off like 6 10 or 12mm bolts and the cover will come off, exposing the ECU and the box.

My friend has a spare one lying around if you need it :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
my windshield wiper fuse does the same thing....

i havent had my windshield wipers in about a year....
rain x has saved me many times...

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
i have the same problem with mine...i swapped my radiator out for a c&r and the c&r comes with a spal fan...and my 15 amp radiator fuse keeps blowing.

Haven't done tests yet, but would like to know if anyone had any other ideas on this.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
damn, sucks its happening to you too but sort of comforting knowing that others have such a problem as well haha hopefully we can figure out something!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I figured out why my 15 amp fuse was blowing....I have a C&R radiator and it came with a Spal 14in. fan. Unknowing to me, the spal had a rating of 18.2 amps..That's why it kept blowing my 15 amp fuse. My friends suggested that since the fan was bigger than my stocker, that it might be working at a higher amperage. I changed it to a 20amp and it works fine now. it's ok to change it to a 20 amp since Honda always underrates their lines.

I would try to find out what amps your fan that you bought from autozone is rated at.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ludecrous777 said:
I figured out why my 15 amp fuse was blowing....I have a C&R radiator and it came with a Spal 14in. fan. Unknowing to me, the spal had a rating of 18.2 amps..That's why it kept blowing my 15 amp fuse. My friends suggested that since the fan was bigger than my stocker, that it might be working at a higher amperage. I changed it to a 20amp and it works fine now. it's ok to change it to a 20 amp since Honda always underrates their lines.

I would try to find out what amps your fan that you bought from autozone is rated at.

Good luck!
Interesting , thanks for the reply, I had thought of the same thing before but then I figured the circuitry or whatever within my car was specifically made for 15 amps for that part and was scared to put a 20 amp in there but I will check it out for sure now. Wonder if there is a way to actually check what the amp rating is for the motor.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright I put a 20 amp fuse in there, it lasted almost a day and now the 20 amp fuse is blown. Damn, now I have no idea what to try at all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts