Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont like the look of the stock exhaust and want to get an aftermarket one, but i don't want a loud ass exhaust either....i did a search and saw that most people say that apexi ws is the quietest, but i don't like the look...what other exhausts are quiet...i like the look of the racing medallion, is it loud?...i dont want it to be much louder than stock

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
No. No Tanabe I've ever heard is quiet. Quiet = Thermal, Mugen, or stock. RS*R I've heard is quiet too.

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
not loud but deep, difference there. I have never once been annoyed at my thermal loudness if any, people tend to confuse deepness with loudness. cementups sells thermals and he has one of his own actually

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
Unless you can quantify 'quietness' it is really irrelevant what one person finds quiet as views vary. What one person considers quiet can be loud for another. I've had Thermal and it's in my opinion nice and deep toned. It tends to drone on highways though. Quality is high as it's stainless steel throughout. Not what I would deem quiet though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
if you want a quiet exhaust then i really suggest going with the apexi ws, i have that my self very impressed and very quiet. but when you want it to sound mean it will at WOT. But also if you have a base model lude then i can also suggest the tanabe super hyper medallion. ive heard that exhaust it is quiet also.

·
r.i.p. jape
465 Posts
i think you want the rs*r....its real quiet, but gives you good power. they just "recame" out with their original model...check that out.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
PreludePower said:
if you want a quiet exhaust then i really suggest going with the apexi ws, i have that my self very impressed and very quiet. but when you want it to sound mean it will at WOT. But also if you have a base model lude then i can also suggest the tanabe super hyper medallion. ive heard that exhaust it is quiet also.
that's like sayin that my greddy evo is quiet til WOT/VTEC :rolleyes: my evo is pretty quiet at idle an low speeds/RPM's....but it can be very loud at times too. just another point to add to the fact that sound is subjective, just like looks. it may be quiet to one but loud to another.

generally, the apexi ws and the rsr are the quietest....mugen is quiet too, but you probably won't want to spend that much money. if they're rereleased the RSR, then I'd suggest that you get that :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I love my thermal but I wouldnt exactly say its quiet. It is very deep and not extremely lould but my friends can hear me coming from down the street at about 2500 rpms. I love it though!

·
Registered
674 Posts
all of the cars i know with preludes, civics, integras that have tanabe exhausts are really loud. go to listentomyexhaust.com to see for yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
I love my thermal, but it does drone somewhat at highway speeds depending on your RPM. Just cruising around town it is pretty quiet, and has a nice deep tone. One thing I have noticed is that this exhaust doesn't hang low at all, I would say the stock exhaust hangs lower if you are concerned with being dropped.

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
Can any of our sponsers get the RSR? I was looking to get one but the lowest I could readily find it was $700 :eek: That's high enough that I'd consider the extra cash to get the Mugen.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The EVO is what i have, it isnt loud, only under hard load (VTEC etc.)

Tanabe S.Medallion is loud as eff.... But they do come with a silencer that tones down the raspy fart can

·
Registered
501 Posts
THUNDERCAT98 said:
The EVO is what i have, it isnt loud, only under hard load (VTEC etc.)

Tanabe S.Medallion is loud as eff.... But they do come with a silencer that tones down the raspy fart can
:rolleyes: I have the Tanabe Racing Medallion and BEFORE the wool glass-pack wore out prematurely the RS Medallion sounded not even close to what you call fart can! It was loud, deep, and aggressive!

Whatever you saw and heard was probably one of those wanna-be Tanabe RS Medallion universal exhaust.

·
Registered
56 Posts
He said he doesn't like the looks of the stock exhaust, so probably shouldn't go with Thermal.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
^^ The only similarity between the stock and the thermal are they both have dual tips. The Thermal is a lot more shiny and is quite a bit bigger than stock. You can easily see a large difference between them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts