Honda Prelude Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know this is OT, but what the hell.

Does anyone know what older model laptops are good (performance and reliability)? I just need something simple. Enough power to run W95/W98 with no lag problems. Perhaps something that's around 200 MHz, 32 MB RAM, a
few Gigs of HD space, and an active display. I was thinking along the lines of a Dell or Toshiba. I also need something that's durable.

I am thinking along the lines of EBay, but if any of you know of any other good sources, I am open to suggestions! Also, I am not in a hurry, but I will need something in a couple of months.

Thanks!

Don't worry, this is Prelude related....

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by preludepower99:
this is my first time doing this.. "in before the lock"</font>

Don't worry it's Prelude related, but you will see later......

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well dude, I'm recommend something at least 300mhz, 64mb ram, 4gb hd, display doesn't matter i suppose, i've got a Compaq Presario right here with 96mb ram, nice display, 6gb hd, K6-2 300, win me, complete with NIC, sound, modem for 500$ with carrying case

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
are you going to hook it up to your ecu??? Look for an old IBM laptop...i have 2 laying around..but you should be able to get 1 for around $100-200 (16 megs of ram, p1, 800 MB hd, good enough to run win95/98 no problems)

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Dell, Sony, HP, DEC, and Compaq are all good choices for used notebooks. You want to buy a brand where parts are still available - especially replacement batteries. You will almost definitely need to replace the original battery as soon as you get it...

Stay away from Texas Intstruments laptops! There is a reason they no longer sell laptops...

I've bought a lot of stuff from egghead.com auctions. Prices are higher than ebay, but you get a warranty with egghead. You can get good deals usually when they put large lots of one item up for bid.

IBTL!

Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
please stay away from Compaq. I have a Presario notebook and its awful. They are somewhat restrictive compared to something like a Dell.

------------------
14.6 @ 93.6mph with I/E

·
Da Monkii
3,076 Posts
71... wat type f application are you planning to run on it man????

I have to agre with overdose man, you can't do **** with 200 mhz sowwie. i'm very impatience when it come to slow computer

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
...and if you have to choose... always get more RAM than getting a faster processor... get AT LEAST 64MB man...

billy, you're giving me headaches

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jmcn:
I'm a cheap bastard. What else can I do?
</font>

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
please stay away from Compaq. I have a Presario notebook and its awful. They are somewhat restrictive compared to something like a Dell.

</font>
I agree I have an Armada series and it blows! All sorts of weird stuff has been up with it and it's just over a year old. I have another friend with a Compaq and his has been flakey as well.

·
Registered
997 Posts
R the mods all asleep?

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
I agree I have an Armada series and it blows! All sorts of weird stuff has been up with it and it's just over a year old. I have another friend with a Compaq and his has been flakey as well.</font>
yeah I also have a Presario desktop and recently got a Dell desktop (the 1 ghz'er)... It actually came with extra parts like IDE cables and power cables for extra drives underneath the cover. I have never seen a store-bought system that has that.

Dell for life.

·
Premium Member
5,982 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
yeah I also have a Presario desktop and recently got a Dell desktop (the 1 ghz'er)... It actually came with extra parts like IDE cables and power cables for extra drives underneath the cover. I have never seen a store-bought system that has that.

Dell for life.
</font>
do you know where did your laptop ship from?

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KB798:
you should go with a brand name labtop, b/c don't they use mass produced parts? correct me if i'm wrong. </font>
Huh? Mass produced parts? Think about it, is there any other way to produce chips and boards besided mass producing them? Every computer uses mass produced parts...if not they'd be four and five times what they cost now. Most of the name brands do more R&D on putting together parts that are proven as well as the fastest combo of parts. On top of that QC is better for the big names because that's what they stake their reputation on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.