Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Dave
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far since I've owned my Prelude I've had it tinted twice. Once with 5% limo style tint...pulled over within first month. :( And the second time with 15% Mirror tint. In my state (PA) and more specifically my area cops really crack down on tint. The law is 70% on all windows for cars. Which brings me to Reflective tint. From my understanding this type of tint is different than the Mirror tint I had before. It will still pass a light test by a cop, but reflects light so you can't see in as easily. I could be totally wrong about this though. I know with my mirror tint you simply couldn't see in. Plus only 20% of light could go through. Anyhow, i found this site Mirror Tint and it seems to be what i'm looking for. I guess my question is can I get away with this stuff? I would hate to blow another $100 on tint just to get pulled over.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
sorry for the kinda OT post but how did you do with the tint when inspection rolled around? i have 35% and was wondering if it would pass

·
Dave
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats just the problem....I haven't lasted long enough with either kind of window tint to even worry about getting it inspected. The "mirror tint" was on my car for about 6 months or so, but even still I never worried about inspection. To my knowledge it will pass inspection even with 2.5%. Its up to the police to inforce tint rules. I say this because most inspection stations don't have light meters which are some what costly. Best bet would be take it to some small guy that you know damn well he doesn't have a light meter.

·
6,152 Posts
i usually get my inspections at MIDAS....i dont know.......thanks alot tho!

·
1st to make the playoffs
2,744 Posts
I think if cops make you take your tint off then no matter what tint it is then they will make you take it off. I think in RI it is legal to have 35%. When we get our tint done proffessional we get a paper saying what % it is so if we get pulled over we can show them that it is really 35. Also I wouldn't do tint yourself, it comes out bad unless you know what you are doing. As for inspections, I don't have tint but I have heard that if you roll your window down when you give them your car they won't roll the window up so they won't see it. Around here it costs $180 or so for a lude tint job but if you have to take it off and go back to the same shop it will only cost 60.

·
6,152 Posts
well if im gonna take off my tint im going to get darker tint...lol

but thats not an option for me...im just hoping they let it slide....i do know the girl behind the counter so maybe shell tell me if it will pass or not....

·
Baller....
565 Posts
In NJ mirror tint is illegal reagardless what window it is on, any colored tints are also illegal,if u try to get it inspected they will give u a 48 hour rejection for mirror tint,, black tint u just fail. I have 20% all around and thanks to my boy at state inspection i passed. He sayd people come with there windows down and the back windows are tinted chances are they have the front done,so people will pull the fuse so the windows dont go up,so he says they carry extra fuses and roll there windows up to see the tint and fail them. I know in pa u are legally allowed 35% all around i belive.BUt colored tint is not legal at all..

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
^^ I thought that you can go down to 35% in the fronts an be fine....but yeah, anything in the backs are okay :D I've got 5% rear 3 an 35% front 2 :bigthumb: someone was sayin that the tint law's changin so that you can have anything in the front now....anyone else heard that too? I can't really see that happening, but that's what I was told as possibly becoming true soon

·
6,152 Posts
Pearl-lude99 said:
In NJ mirror tint is illegal reagardless what window it is on, any colored tints are also illegal,if u try to get it inspected they will give u a 48 hour rejection for mirror tint,, black tint u just fail. I have 20% all around and thanks to my boy at state inspection i passed. He sayd people come with there windows down and the back windows are tinted chances are they have the front done,so people will pull the fuse so the windows dont go up,so he says they carry extra fuses and roll there windows up to see the tint and fail them. I know in pa u are legally allowed 35% all around i belive.BUt colored tint is not legal at all..
If thats the case i shouldnt fail then...woohoo!

98VTEC....how in the world do you read that chart??? lol:confused:

·
6,152 Posts
well in that case ill just assume my tint is legal....hehe

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Pearl-lude99 said:
Actually, tint is not illegal on the windows in NJ provided it was installed at the factory.

Honda did offer tinted windows in the Prelude as an option.

I believe the front window can not be tinted.

I think 5% on all windows except the front is legal.

All the SUV's come with this....

·
Baller....
565 Posts
I never said windows cant be tinted. I am just telling u that mirror tint providing it wasnt factory done is ILLEGAL regardless where u have it on ur car,black is fine as dark as u want on the back but not the fronts. I have alot of friends that are cops and family members, and i also read the inspection booklet we have at work on cars with mirror tint,so if someone tries to pull a fast one on the inspection station they can check there manual and fail u for mirror tint.Only SUV"S that really have it is lexus,and there was an article about a year ago where someone said they were blinding by the mirror tint and caused an accident and sued lexus and got alot of money.And Honda may have offered tinted windows but it was on the rear windows,they wouldnt put it on the front cause the car wouldnt pass inspection. I have my fronts done and i get lucky cause my friend passes it at the state,but there are some other places in Jersey and PA that will prolly inspect it regardless

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
In Mass they are so anal about mufflers and everything else, if you have a 20% window tint your asking for trouble, i woulnd't risk much if i were you Dave i woulnd't risk it dog or go very light tint in the side windows.

·
Registered
147 Posts
dave i wouldn;t do it....i always get harassed and followed b/c of my tint.......almost tempted to just take it off altogether........and FYI PA inspection places don't check for tint anymore...or at least thats what honda said and they passed me.....its the cops problem

·
6,152 Posts
Accord2Lust said:
and FYI PA inspection places don't check for tint anymore...or at least thats what honda said and they passed me.....its the cops problem
i hope this is true...:(

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
ive got the gold window tint and i get pulled over like no other. at nite its even worse becuz of the street lights and when the cops see the gold...automatic ticket :mad: . of course they tell me i need to remove it but i never do..i juss pay the ticket at the court house and im done :D

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
Im sure the court will get sick of you and tell you to do something about it soon gold so i'd watch out thats what the system is doing over here in NorthEast.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts