Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Techo R from VIS racing which is remarkbly similar (cough cough) to the Mugen bumper for the Prelude. Everytime I drove it, a rock would hit it and cause a chip in the paint. Would the Real Mugen bumper still do this? or would it hold up to road abuse.

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
I would be led to assume that any paint would chip.

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alberttien:
Everytime I drove it, a rock would hit it and cause a chip in the paint. </font>
like you said, the chip is in the paint, so it doesn't matter whether it's a mugen or a knock-off.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
o0OO0o's got a good point.</font>
[This message has been edited by o0OO0o (edited April 11, 2001).]

·
Registered
800 Posts
I agree with Thatch. The quality of paint and the prep work that goes into the painting are probably the two most important factors in determining if the paint will chip or not. I don't think it has much to do with the bumpers themselves since I think they are both made of fiberglass.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
713 Posts
It's the paint. Factory paint jobs are substantialy thicker than standard aftermarket ones because the process is completely different.

Factory components are dipped and baked at high temp.

Aftermarket is sprayed on. There are ways you can do aftermarket to be just as good if not better, but you gotta ask & they are obviously more expensive...

More coats, better primer, more flex in the paint. It all adds up.

Mugen or VIS - probably both chip the same with aftermarket paint jobs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts