Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was told by a honda enthusiast that the resonator is something honda put in to my '01 Prelude SE make the car quieter. Is it true I can remove this to make the car louder?

Also, what kind of CIA should I look into getting, I'm thinking anything compatible made by AEM. And if I get a new exhust should I go with catback? What is catback anyway?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
yep, resonator helps a little on throttle response but is pretty much useless.
cai is okay but i much prefer the aem v2 intake or the type-s intake.
catback replaces everything from the catalytic convertor back. axle back only replaces from the rear axle back. most go with cat-back.
mugen is great but $$$$.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Don't worry about the piping, it's your filter you should be looking into. I have generic 3" intake piping with a 3" AEM dry flow filter, and I think it does the job quiet well for about $90.00. (Filter costing the most out of misc. hardware, polished coupler elbows, and intake piping.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah you would want to put a resonator, really keeps the cabin interior quiet, or else everything starts rattling, my setup was like this, stock head > magnaflow catalyic converter> stainless steel piping> magnaflow muffler, and yes it mad a loud noise, so I put the resonator in. I still hear the sound but it quiet and doesn't distract you while your driving.

My setup now is everything above plus a magnaflow resonator after the catalyic converter which is also magnaflow, It sounds good and not ricey, the piping was from kteller, they do a good job and give extra parts. Mine was custom made and welded on so it cost abit $ but in the end I got extra HP and it sounded good.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Catback means anything from your catalytic converter to the back.

H22's need to be able to breathe well from the collector of the the header to see any good gain, so take into account the collector size of your piping, and possibly a full exhaust (meaning header back, with a high flow cat) if your really want to maximize any gains. (also look into custom header unless you're a broke ass like me and go the collector mod route, but i'm only 18...)

A good thing to know is H22's benefit from larger exhaust piping diameters as well.

I myself am running 2.5" from collector (MRH collector mod since I can't afford a custom header)straight back to a custom flanged vibrant type-v rear.
There are other members running 2.5" as well.
Some members even run 3" as that seems to maximize the H22 for more top end power (though at the cost of a decrease in bottom end torque)
So it is a question of what sort of power you want to achieve also.

Also think about maybe a light A/F tune to match the cars new attributes, I know my car would probably benefit since it seems to be running a little lean due to the increased pipe diameter, but it pulls very hard in vtec.

I also have the intake resonator/butterfly valve removed. I got bored one day. That seemed to produce a minimal gain, but the real thing it did was really improve mid range throttle response and made the acceleration seem crisper. The intake loved getting more cold air, and my cars overall temperature was lowered a considerable amount for a free mod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts