Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm reading the "Recommended Shift Points" section in my 5th gen manual and was wondering if anyone knows what is the difference between "Normal Acceleration" and "Cruise from acceleration" ? I see the following, but am not sure what it means:

Shift Up Normal Acceleration
---------- -------------------------
1st to 2nd 15mph (24km/h)
2nd to 3rd 28 mph (45km/h)
3rd to 4th 41mph (66 km/h)
4th to 5th 52mph (83 km/h)

Shift Up Cruise from acceleration
---------- ------------------------------
1st to 2nd 7mph (11km/h)
2nd to 3rd 22 mph (35km/h)
3rd to 4th 33mph (53 km/h)
4th to 5th 48mph (77 km/h)

Can anyone explain what the difference is between "Normal Acceleration" and "Cruise from Acceleration"? Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm using my own shift points right now - usually somewhere between 3000 - 4000RPM under normal driving conditions. But when I read that stuff about shift points, I have no clue what they're talking about and now I'm more curious than anything else. They should give an example or something :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
by looking above, looks like "Cruise from Acceleration" is more like "grandma gas saving acceleration".
"Normal Acceleration" seems like "conservative acceleration" but who would shift at those points ?

·
Convicted GSR Rapist
1,512 Posts
TranceAZN said:
by looking above, looks like "Cruise from Acceleration" is more like "grandma gas saving acceleration".
"Normal Acceleration" seems like "conservative acceleration" but who would shift at those points ?
i would really hope that someone who owned this car, never drove it that slowly. You could of bought a geo metro and had the same fun...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I shift at those points.... :( when I'm stuck in traffic:p

you should always redline on your 1st to 2nd, then redline one the 2nd to 3rd, then you could cruise from there. Makes your day go faster

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shucks man, I use 2nd gear to get to 100km/hr. Why would you let a manual tell you how to drive?

you may want to adhere to these suggestions on a brand new machine straight from the dealership, but after the 2k that they recommend you "drive slow" TEAR IT UP!!!

it's a lude man, nothing sounds better than the H22A!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey PilotSH, thanks for the explanation! I get it now. :D

I'll meet up with everyone else at the race track!!! VTEC all the way in every gear!! :p :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
how do u guys normall shift like in city driving
do u guys depend on the RPM meter or the speed like mph or kmh?

and let say its red light and ur the first car on the line, u want to start fast cuz u might be like in a hurry or something, but no need for redline yet, like in an auto, i would step hard on the gas and car will just go up to like around 4000rpm and i think it shifts gear and so on..

With a 5 speed, do u do the same?

·
Convicted GSR Rapist
1,512 Posts
weiweiwei said:
how do u guys normall shift like in city driving
do u guys depend on the RPM meter or the speed like mph or kmh?

and let say its red light and ur the first car on the line, u want to start fast cuz u might be like in a hurry or something, but no need for redline yet, like in an auto, i would step hard on the gas and car will just go up to like around 4000rpm and i think it shifts gear and so on..

With a 5 speed, do u do the same?
if i was to say ... be in a hurry ... because of a civic next to me at the light, i'd swing into vtec a lil, but normally between 3200-4000rpms...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Almost a decade later lol.. I would like to clarify the meaning of 'cruise from acceleration'. It refers to the rate of acceleration in between upshifting, which is less than the rate of acceleration if you were in gear. During upshifting, momentum is lost. The momentum that which is lost is equal to the rate of acceleration in gear minus the rate of acceleration out of gear. Obviously, this only applies to a stock motor and I'm assuming since it's 'normal acceleration', it is if you're accelerating with the gas pedal pushed in half way. If you're accelerating in wide open throttle and/or at a higher speed than recommended in the manual, the loss of momentum will be lower and in turn, the cruise from acceleration will be higher.

For example, if/when you shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear at 15mph, your foot is off the gas pedal and you're pressing in the clutch pedal to shift up.. during this phase (from the time it takes you to shift the transmission into 2nd gear from 1st gear), your car will act like it is only accelerating at 7mph instead of 15mph (a net loss of 8mph of acceleration). If/when you shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear at 28mph.. during this phase, your car will act like it is only accelerating at 22mph instead of 28mph (a net loss of 6mph of acceleration). Cruise from acceleration from 3rd gear to 4th gear at 41mph is 33mph, a net loss of 8mph of acceleration. And finally, 4th gear to 5th gear at 52mph is 48mph, a net loss of 4mph of acceleration.

*Note: The net loss of acceleration should not be confused with a net loss of speed. You won't lose any speed if you shift correctly. In fact, you will still gain a little bit through the transition. The rate at which this speed is gained is called 'cruise from acceleration'. Shifting too slow will only result in a loss of 1 or 2mph of speed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well that was pretty informative.

Also.. please everyone take notes as this is the ONLY reason to ever bring back a thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
not too bad for my first post huh? this is just the beginning.. :)
Almost a decade later lol.. I would like to clarify the meaning of 'cruise from acceleration'. It refers to the rate of acceleration in between upshifting, which is less than the rate of acceleration if you were in gear. During upshifting, momentum is lost. The momentum that which is lost is equal to the rate of acceleration in gear minus the rate of acceleration out of gear. Obviously, this only applies to a stock motor and I'm assuming since it's 'normal acceleration', it is if you're accelerating with the gas pedal pushed in half way. If you're accelerating in wide open throttle and/or at a higher speed than recommended in the manual, the loss of momentum will be lower and in turn, the cruise from acceleration will be higher.

For example, if/when you shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear at 15mph, your foot is off the gas pedal and you're pressing in the clutch pedal to shift up.. during this phase (from the time it takes you to shift the transmission into 2nd gear from 1st gear), your car will act like it is only accelerating at 7mph instead of 15mph (a net loss of 8mph of acceleration). If/when you shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear at 28mph.. during this phase, your car will act like it is only accelerating at 22mph instead of 28mph (a net loss of 6mph of acceleration). Cruise from acceleration from 3rd gear to 4th gear at 41mph is 33mph, a net loss of 8mph of acceleration. And finally, 4th gear to 5th gear at 52mph is 48mph, a net loss of 4mph of acceleration.

*Note: The net loss of acceleration should not be confused with a net loss of speed. You won't lose any speed if you shift correctly. In fact, you will still gain a little bit through the transition. The rate at which this speed is gained is called 'cruise from acceleration'. Shifting too slow will only result in a loss of 1 or 2mph of speed.
for the life of me I can't figure out how to upshift smoothly I have bought a 2000 prelude and I'll just go by the recommended shift points on the owners manual, so what I am understanding now is that normal acceleration and cruise from acceleration are actually interconnected and not separate, thanks for clarifying. I was confused so I had to read it twice. The rpms at each shift point is around 3200-3500 rpm, can't remember exactly the number for each gear but it's in that range.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts