Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off, i hope this is in the correct place.

i just changed my stock spark plugs and wires on my 99' base 5-speed prelude. i installed ngk laser platinum pzfr6f-11 plugs and neuspeed wires (inc. coil wire), and cleaned and re-oiled my aem cai.

problem is, when you start up from a light, around 1200-1500 rpm it seems to putt putt around. it also seems like it is a little rough throughout the powerband.

is it the wires? the plugs? aem cai? the only thing i touched on the aem was the filter. i did not gap the plugs as they are suppose to be already gapped. and i am sure i did not cross any wires, since i didn't replace the distibutor cap (yet) i took one wire off at a time.

any and all help will be soooo appreciated. i have no idea how something this simple can be ****ed up.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I dont know what it is for sure but its got to be the plugs or wires. The cai wouldnt cause you to do that. Just double check to see if everything is the way its supposed to be.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Has this problem occured before the installation? If so, just go back and install one thing at a time (like new wires with stock plugs) if the problem occurs it's the wires it might be the conductors are bend or something. Make sure the plugs are correctly torqued. Then, install the stock wires with new plugs, let us know how it goes. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^that's what i did. i guess the f'n coil wire wasn't in the cap good, slighty burnt the end of the connector and wire. i cut off the end and put a new connector on and re-installed the boot. seems to be okay. i'm about to go test it out on the road here in a little bit.

also, on a slightly different note. are there any better distributor cap and rotor to buy, than honda?... or cooler looking? lol.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
son of a B_ITCH! i was out driving tonight and it still does it every now and then. usually light load and say between 1200-2500 rpm range. i measured the resistance of the wires and they were all good. checked the plugs too. GRRRRR!!! could i possibly have a bad wire in a new set?? i guess i will switch out one ata time and drive around until i fix it.

tune in tomorrow for this ongoing saga.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
you might have the dreaded hesitation problem so many lude owners are getting....i have it....its a biatch...do a search and youll see...so far its been caused to MAP and TPS:shrug:

·
Registered
244 Posts
or maybe you put the wires in the wrong order. make sure the wires are connected in the correct order to the distributor. that was a problem i had with mine when changing my cap and rotor.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
you said you didnt gap the plugs,you should try that,they do come pregapped,but you might as well double check,also,did you torque it down properly?

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
triple checked everything, gap, wires, connectors and boots. still there. will be getting new distributor cap and rotor tomorrow. maybe by some chance that will solve it. i might just put all the stock stuff back on later today, and see if it still there.

·
Registered
385 Posts
make sure you ran all plugs into appropriate places on the distrib. cap. pushed in all the way...etc.

Just put mine on the other day and accidently crossed wires up.... fixed it back up and running beautifully :D

Good luck bro.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update. i changed everything back to origianl parts (about a weak ago) and car ran fine. i just installed the same (new) ngk plugs along with a new set of ngk wires, today. WOW! the car runs like it is brand new. i also installed new distributor cap ,pcv , and rotor along with my new jdm red valve cover. so i guess it was the used (supposedly new) neuspeed wires. i checked the resistance everything seemed fine. i have no clue. all i know is it runs really good now.

anyone wanna buy some new (haha) wires??

·
Registered
808 Posts
Can't beat the stock wires, at least untill you get an aftermarket ignition. I had the same problem with aftermarket wires and went back to stock (new) wires and it fixed the problem. Weard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts