Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the neuspeed upper strut bar and I'm having some problems installing this under my hood. As per the install sheet, I removed the two nuts from both sides of the car and proceed to install on the passenger side first. However, when I try to fit the bar in...how hard should it be to pop them over the bolts? Either the bar is too long or I'm not pushing hard enough...has anyone ever come across this? According to the packaging and the instructions that I received with the bar, it's made for a 97-00 Prelude.

------------------
97 Prelude
Mugen headers/exhaust
AEM CAI
bunch of nyc dents

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
you got 'em muscles, use them! heheh j/k

i think i've heard that you do need to force it in a little... not sure, so don't quote me on that.

my spoon bar didn't exactly fit perfectly either; i still had to push and nudge it to get in.

[This message has been edited by imagepree (edited April 24, 2001).]

·
Registered
104 Posts
HAHAHA! I had the same problem! I think all NEUSPEED strut bar owners had that problem.

I believe it was designed that way. after installing the passenger side and putting one nut in place, you'll need to use some sort of crow bar to work the driver side in. Once it is in place it should go in no problem. It should stay in there too!

ChRiS

------------------
99 Pearl White Prelude
AEM CAI
Konig Tantrum 17x7 / Nitto450 215/40/17
Koni Sport / Eibach Pro-Kit
PIAA 1100x
RF AMP / RF 12XLC SW

·
Registered
951 Posts
You have to force it on... it's made to have a little "preload". Push hard, and if you can't get it on you've either got the wrong part or need to start hitting the gym.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
you got 'em muscles, use them! heheh j/k

i think i've heard that you do need to force it in a little... not sure, so don't quote me on that.

my spoon bar didn't exactly fit perfectly either; i still had to push and nudge it to get in.

[This message has been edited by imagepree (edited April 24, 2001).]
</font>

push and nudge - I tried...actually..I'm literally thowing my body into it after getting one side in. At least I know these things won't bend too much

------------------
97 Prelude
Mugen headers/exhaust
AEM CAI
bunch of nyc dents

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NVR2FST:
HAHAHA! I had the same problem! I think all NEUSPEED strut bar owners had that problem.

I believe it was designed that way. after installing the passenger side and putting one nut in place, you'll need to use some sort of crow bar to work the driver side in. Once it is in place it should go in no problem. It should stay in there too!

ChRiS

</font>

Hmm crow bar...I will try that... I have to also double check the part number on this bar....(if there is any). Yes I agree..this thing will definitely stay in place.

------------------
97 Prelude
Mugen headers/exhaust
AEM CAI
bunch of nyc dents

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Yea u have to force it in. U should have brought the bar to the auto-X the other day so we could put it in for ya

Acutally what I did was get one side in first, torque it down and proceed to the other side. When I couldn't push/force it in, I took a hammer and the thickest yellow pages and banged on the bar itself. Slowly but surely it went in the bolts and then torqued down. Hope that helps!!

Am I the only one who used the yellow page?

------------------
01' Base 5-Speed
AEM CAI, Neuspeed Frt.Bar, Neuspeed Sports & KYB AGX, Type-R Wing

Parts to be installed-
Apex V-AFC- anyone wanna help me out w/this one??

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I had to spread the two shorter connecting arms using the car jack. The bolt holes were about 1/3 inch to close the way it came and I couldn't bend them by hand. I didn't have too much trouble with the bar being too long though. Neuspeed must be pretty lax with their tolerances.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EBP Lude:
Yea u have to force it in. U should have brought the bar to the auto-X the other day so we could put it in for ya

Acutally what I did was get one side in first, torque it down and proceed to the other side. When I couldn't push/force it in, I took a hammer and the thickest yellow pages and banged on the bar itself. Slowly but surely it went in the bolts and then torqued down. Hope that helps!!

Am I the only one who used the yellow page?

</font>
hehe..I wish - then we can have like 5 people on side pushing on it to make it fit
- But the bar just came in today..along with my koni sports and h&r springs and my aem pulleys.

Anyway...you put the yellow pages on top of the bar and banged the bar down??? Hmm not sure if I wanna do that..but doesn't that kinda make the bar kinda wider?

------------------
97 Prelude
Mugen headers/exhaust
AEM CAI
AEM Pulleys

Koni Sports
H&R Sports
Neuspeed Upper Strut
SS Rear Sway (in box)
bunch of nyc dents

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
You think that's fun? Try getting the stock alternator pulley off without air/impact tools!

------------------
My new mechanic

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My 2 cents--
Yes the Neuspeed bar can be hard to put on-leather mallet and a large socket took car of driver's side <G>. I did bend the bar in a bench vise to spread the flanges just a tiny bit to get them over the holes. I have been since told that the easier way to do the driver side is to jack it up until the holes and bolts line up. No it won't come off.
Remember to torquw the nuts to 28 foot pounds-they have a tendency to loosen and need retorqued 1 time after you go for a gentle drive around the block.

------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NVR2FST:

ChRiS

</font>
what about mine?? it's perfect, now i hope my spoon bar fits that easy!

------------------
Resist, and you'll be overcome

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mine took all of 3 minutes to install. Sure it needed a little force to get the last 2 bolts to go through the holes, but I just put my weight into it...

------------------
Chris
Premium White '99 base model Prelude

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate - Street/Strip Disc
· Fidanza Flywheel
· Neuspeed Front Strut Tower Brace
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750
· Precision Power PC4400.2 powering:
· Infinity Kappa 60.2cs 6.5" Components.
· Precision Power PC1400.2 powering:
· Single Image Dynamics IDQ 12 in a custom sealed box.

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Registered
104 Posts
HRC your car is defective! hahaha ... j/k!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">what about mine?? it's perfect, now i hope my spoon bar fits that easy!
</font>
------------------
99 Pearl White Prelude
AEM CAI
NEUSPEED front strut bar
Konig Tantrum 17x7 / Nitto450 215/40/17
Koni Sport / Eibach Pro-Kit
Clear side markers and turns signals
PIAA 1100x
NR Indiglo Gauges
RF AMP / RF 12XLC SW

·
Registered
222 Posts
DON'T bother jacking up ur car...i did that and even removed both front wheels =P...that doesn't help at all...

the best way is to mount the left (passenger) side of it first and screw it in a few notches so it stays put...
then for the right side, line up the top arm, and use a crowbar (wrapped in cloth so it won't damage anything) to force the other arm into the right place...the crowbar is the easiest and only way to get enough torque to spread the strut bar arms...

i sorta regret getting the neuspeed, i think the DC Sports one looks better cuz its all shiny...

------------------

Toronto Prelude Club (TPC)

·
Registered
188 Posts
i opened my hood, took off four bolts, put the bar down, put the bolts back on. i had to spread the forks a bit, but i wouldn't even say that it was anything that required any exertion...make sure you've got the right bar.

·
Registered
51 Posts
don't worry, it took me and two friends to put it in. one to pull at the bar with a crowbar, one to line it up and pop it on, and one to supervise

------------------
Hmmm, I need Vtec already...

·
Registered
423 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by h23a1_vtec:
don't worry, it took me and two friends to put it in. one to pull at the bar with a crowbar, one to line it up and pop it on, and one to supervise

</font>
I did the exact same thing too...I though I got the wrong bar at first too...but it fit very tight...I would think that is a good thing

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
holy old post back from the dead...

i just put mines on, and i cant get the fourth bolt to bolt down becoz the strut bar is preventing the socket from going onto the bolt

i just tightened the fourth one with a wrench, hopefullly it will be okay :confused:

·
Registered
243 Posts
sandiegan said:
holy old post back from the dead...

i just put mines on, and i cant get the fourth bolt to bolt down becoz the strut bar is preventing the socket from going onto the bolt

i just tightened the fourth one with a wrench, hopefullly it will be okay :confused:
That's exactly what I had to do with mine too. socket wouldn't fit the front drivers side bolt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts