Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5th gen SH. After installing my ground control/koni yellows, I realized that if I lower the car more than about an inch that when the rear is fully decompressed (not under load--like when up on jackstands) the the top of the spring is not seated into the isolator at the top. I think this is why people get the konis hortened, but is there any other fix for this. I had the car lowered about 2 inches when I first put them on but it made horrible noises in the rear if I went over a large bump in the road. Now it is lowered about 1 inch and the noise has seemed to go away-----any suggestions????

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Hmm, i dunno man. I have the same setup and mine is lowered about 1.75-2 ish. Usually when you have the car up on jackstands though, the spring wont hit the isolator at the top because the shock is extended.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The only other fix is to buy some helper springs like on the Teins and machine an adapter.

I don't worry about it. If you get only one wheel airborne the sway bar will hold it up. Same for changing tires as long as you do it one side at a time and not front then back. Also make sure you mention it if you take it to a shop where they would lift it by the frame.

------------------
Marshall McLean
97 Prelude SH
<A HREF="http://www.hondaprelude.to" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

My Home Page

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuderChris:
I have a 5th gen SH. After installing my ground control/koni yellows, I realized that if I lower the car more than about an inch that when the rear is fully decompressed (not under load--like when up on jackstands) the the top of the spring is not seated into the isolator at the top. I think this is why people get the konis hortened, but is there any other fix for this. I had the car lowered about 2 inches when I first put them on but it made horrible noises in the rear if I went over a large bump in the road. Now it is lowered about 1 inch and the noise has seemed to go away-----any suggestions????</font>
That's one of the draw backs to using linear springs in the rear. Also, when you go with stiffer springs, this could happen. It's no big deal really. A lot of people that use them here haven't had any problems. I thought about using helper springs, but I knew I would get the Konis rebuilt, so I just had them shorten the damper when I sent them in.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions--but I figured it out. I didn't cut the rear dust boots enough. Cut them a little more yesterday and no problems now.
Billy-
The NTPOG is a great site--are you guys still adding reviews and mods?? I haven't seen any new ones in a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts