Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a guy that might be willing to give me a deal on painting my Lude, but I seriously doubt he would be willing to do the prep work and paint for dirt cheap. Anyway, how hard is it to prep the car to be painted? I would assume that it needs to be wet sanded down, and then mask everything off. Anyone know of a wright up on how to do it?

·
Registered
357 Posts
1) Remove front wind shield trim
2) Remove both quarter panel glasses
3) Remove every trim you can possibly remove (around doors, around radiator, etc.etc.) Best theory is.. "anything that is not masked off will be painted."

Once you have everything removed. Wetsand the whole car down. 400 grit would work.

After this step.. he needs to primer it. After he primers it.. let it sit for 3-4 days so it can be 99% dry. If you shoot the engine bay.. you dont have to primer it.. engine bay can be just wet sanded and paint.

Once the primer is dry.. wetsand it with 400g again. (the purpose is NOT to remove the primer.. but make it SUPER smooth)

Finally.. he can tape everything up again and shoot it.

Dont forget to wetsand (2000 g.) and buff. Polish and was afterwards.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
ShowSpeed said:
3) Remove every trim you can possibly remove (around doors, around radiator, etc.etc.) Best theory is.. "anything that is not masked off will be painted."

Once you have everything removed. Wetsand the whole car down. 400 grit would work.

After this step.. he needs to primer it. After he primers it.. let it sit for 3-4 days so it can be 99% dry. If you shoot the engine bay.. you dont have to primer it.. engine bay can be just wet sanded and paint.

Once the primer is dry.. wetsand it with 400g again. (the purpose is NOT to remove the primer.. but make it SUPER smooth)

Finally.. he can tape everything up again and shoot it.

Dont forget to wetsand (2000 g.) and buff. Polish and was afterwards.
wow, nice advice :bigthumb:

·
Because Raptor!
955 Posts
Do not wetsand before the primer and do not wetsand the primer. Use 180-220 before the primer. And 320 to block sand the primer, again DO NOT wetsand. If in doubt of anything find out what kind of paint he's going to use and get a tech sheet.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
you're going to want to get rid of any dents too. that would probably be the most difficult part

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
ShowSpeed said:

So much easier said than done. And if you don't remove it properly and you damage the seals your gonna need new ones.

I had to take off my rear 1/4 panel window and rear windshield to paint my 1/4 cause if some bastard that keyed me. No masking tape cover up on my car please.

And to get to those windows you have to completely strip the interior panes starting from the rear seats. Even the panel above the front door has to be removed to get to the 1/4 glass. Headliner as well for the rear window.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
And you only wet sand after the paint job to get the perfect factory finish. Before that it's pointless.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Agreed. I've never heard of needing to wet-sand before the paint goes on (or during).

Probably best to ask the shop how they prep surfaces with the paint they'll actually be using, and then follow suit.

Dent removal isn't too bad (read: not to expensive) when the autobody place doesn't need to worry about paint-matching & the final finish . . . . And most issues of the door-ding variety can be taken out yourself with layers of spray-can primer while you're prepping the rest of the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts