Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it true that they are going to discontinue the current honda prelude. when will be the last year? have they already stopped production? will/still it be available in canada??

latez

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i see a lot of preludes with "SH" on it. is it a performance upgrade like type r or type s??!

and i saw in a magazine that there is only one prelude model for 2001, the "se". is this any different from the 2000? aside from options, and packages.?

latez

·
Registered
76 Posts
SH stands for Sports Handling, or what I heard. You get better suspension, 5 more horsepower, and some torque transfer stuff.

------------------
Jeffrey
1998 Honda Prelude
FMAX Turbo Kit

·
Registered
15 Posts
more like you lose 5 wheel horsepower for the sh. But the sh gives you leather wheel, leather knob, painted side moldings, spoiler, and different wheels. heavier wheels may i add. But mainly its ATTS, helps handling by redirecting torque between wheels. But just spend 1000 and get a Quaife differential and outhandle the sh.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, damn u guys post fast. what about the tiptronic tranny?!

is it the same one in the tl?

latez

·
Registered
698 Posts
SE is a canada only model which is basically a Base model with all the Type SH trim except for the ATTS

to sum up so this doesn't go on for hours.

production has stopped
In canada:
3 models-base, sport shift and SE in 2001 (Base, sport shift and type SH for 97-200)

In US 3 models Base, Sport shift, and Type SH

you wanna know the differences? look in the FAQ or do a search, its in there somewhere

·
Registered
399 Posts
There have been no dynos that i have seen that says the type SH loses 5 whp compared to the base model. If there are some, let me see, otherwise there is no proof of this. and in order to be fair the dyno runs on both the SH and base dynos would have to be done in similar conditions done numerous times with numerous different bases and SH's so that an average of runs can be taken.

true, the SH weighs more, but put a fat man in the base and a skinny guy in a SH and you just made up the difference in weight.

we've all seen that canadian that made his stock SH do a 14.7

peace

------------------
1997 Prelude SH
Eagle F1 tires
Iceman CAI,
cleared side markers
Cleared signals
JDM fogs
Clifford G4 alarm

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
yeah, i second this oft-argued point. the ATTS unit might rob a tiny bit of power, but the SH has slightly higher lift cams to offset it. i've seen dynos of stock SH' that were lower than base models, and vice versa as well. as for the weight, some of it is the spoiler, which a lot of people add anyway. the ATTS unit only weighs 44lb, or less than what half a tank of gas weighs. the wheels weigh about 10 ounces more.

in terms of straight line performance, base and SH are identical. the variation from one car to another is far more than the actual differences in weight and drivetrain. the SH is made for the twisties...

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Prelude Type SH is a piece of ****

------------------
'99 Nighthawk Black Prelude Type SH

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:
but the SH has slightly higher lift cams to offset it. </font>
Well I used to be a big believer in that until I got my parts manual. According to the manual the part numbers for the Base and SH cams are the same. So either the Helms manual or the parts manual is wrong. I could not speculate on which one though.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
146 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken all 5th Gens auto/SS are rated 5hp less than 5 sp by Honda. Of course real world dyno hp at wheel results may vary per each car....

------------------
2000 Silver
Lovin' every km!!
http://www.hondaprelude.to

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've been in Florida for a week so haven't been on a computer. Yeah, I'm being sarcastic. When I bought my car, I had never even seen a 5th gen Prelude in person, at least not looking for one. I was looking for an Accord. Well, I found one and fell in love with it. Now, when I see other Prelude's, I try and act friendly towards them, whether it's old or new, base or SH. It just burns me up when I see this garbage about "spend (whatever) amount and it'll be better then an SH". It either sounds like penis envy or jealousy, cause who really cares? I think the base is a little faster, but I'm not gonna rip into them cause I'm jealous. Ah well, you would think we could all just get along, but that must be too much too ask.

------------------
'99 Nighthawk Black Prelude Type SH

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
hm i wouldn't say it's penis envy, it's more like, "use your money on something better" type of thing - which is completely valid and a great idea - i might add. I've heard only good things about this differential, nothing wrong with telling others about good things right?

------------------

[This message has been edited by po0p (edited April 29, 2001).]

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by po0p:
hm i wouldn't say it's penis envy, it's more like, "use your money on something better" type of thing - which is completely valid and a great idea - i might add. I've heard only good things about this differential, nothing wrong with telling others about good things right?

</font>
well, the thing is that those who rip on the SH are usually those who have never driven one and experienced the ATTS at work. i can't say much about the LSD cuz i've never driven a car w/ one.

for those of us w/ the SH i'm sure love the way it works. sure, there are some quirks to it, but having been driving one for 4 years, i have gotten used to it and the way it performs and i know what to expect.

i mean, fine, the base dynos show a couple of more horse than the SH... i don't really care cuz like that makes much of a difference to me.

back to the question of "is it worth the money." well, yes, cuz it's the technology that we're paying for. will there be another car w/ the ATTS? i doubt it. it will die out just like 4WS.

i guess, we SH guys are the exclusive ones.

oh and keep in mind that it isn't only the ATTS that is worth the extra money. the price difference also includes body-colored rear and side sills, courtesy light, spoiler, nicer looking wheels, leather shiftknob, and of course, the Type SH sticker! hehe

i'm not flaming... but please guys/girls, no more of those post about base w/ lsd will kick the doors of the SH cuz it's still the same car.

------------------
AIM: ImagePree

**scratch here, ding there. Sigh...**
OG H-A Member
Who else wants these Jammies???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts