Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasappp

I'm new here.

Just turned 16, getting my car (with own $) in 1 year. Gotta be under $30K.

It's between

Late 5th gen Prelude SH (the hot blue color)
JRSC
Bolt Ons
$5K stereo system
body kit, rims, all the **** right off the bat
With bolt ons, JRSC, and anything else, how much HP can I get at the crank? To the wheels?

Supra TT (MKIV)
BPU 460+ HP
Minimum money for other ****

Only advantage of lude is...INSURANCE!

Anyone know of insurance of Supra TT if i'm 16 and under my dad's name as "primary driver" or "regular driver"

What is the advantage of being the primary driver?

I want Supra but I can more heavily modify the lude and insurance on Supra is prob gonna be a mother ****er...

HELP!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Well first off with 30k your never gonna be able to afford the Prelude plus all those extras you listed. I would decide which route you wanna go first, looks or speed? Then take it from there.

And secondly your definitely right about the insurance on the supra being high, plus your gonna have a hard time finding one.

But anyway, Good Luck on whatever you decide

·
Registered
713 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant Prelude Base, not SH.

What were you laughing at?

Prelude=19K or so(used)
3K for JRSC
5K for Stereo
3K for body kit, bolt ons, wheels.

I can always mod it later...

When is the last year of lude?

How much HP to the wheels w/ JRSC and bolt ons?

·
Registered
188 Posts
16, get a prelude. no 16 year old needs a 400+ hp car. i don't care how good a driver you think you are, every 16 year old that i knew that had a remotely sporty car wrecked it, even if it only had 150 hp. other than that, i'd also say to choose between speed or stereo, they really just interfere with each other. if you want to be fast your car is going to be louder and thats just going to interfere with the stereo, if you want a stereo then you're going to have tons more weight and your car is going to be slower. they really don't mix well.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
HAHA....sorry. </font>
Hey man!!!???
:

PAL- good luck trying to find an EBP Lude, regardless of base or SH! I doubt u will find one that easily....

IMO u should go for the Lude, w/ur young age and limited driving exp., the Supra is gonna be a ***** for u to handle.(No offense, the MKIV is just a VERY POWERFUL car not for anybody) plus like u said ins. is gonna be a BIG PITA!!!! And having a RWD where ur at is another minus. Good luck

------------------
01' Base 5-Speed
AEM CAI, Neuspeed Frt.Bar, Neuspeed Sports & KYB AGX, Type-R Wing

Parts to be installed-
Apex V-AFC- anyone wanna help me out w/this one??

G

·
Either of those cars are going to be 3k+ per year in insurance for a 16 year old. If I had that choice, I would get the Supra, but at the same time, I will warn you. I was 16 just 2 years ago, I am 18 now. My first car, was an 88 Toyota Celica. I am so glad I got a cheap car for my first car, because I beat the living crap out of it, and ran it into the ground, then a wall. Although I didn't claim it on insurance because it was a minor wreck, and would've cost more than I paid for the car to get it fixed, I do think it was a wise decision to get a beater for the first 6 months or so. I then got a '99 Accord Coupe EX-V6 and then went to my Prelude because I feel I am a confident driver now.

------------------
Malken00 - 2534
[email protected]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jspec81:
oooooo :D Ever since he admitted to being ***, I've had many fantasies :D </font>

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Well, both cars are very nice, rare cars that grab lots of attention when modified, if you're into that sort of thing. Preludes with tasteful bodykits look extremely kickass; likewise with the Supras.

However, all the money spent on upgrading the prelude isn't gonna make it nearly as fast as a supra w/ the BPU (damn japanese TT!). Hopefully in a week and half you'll have a dyno of my car with a JRSC (I'm guessing 260-270 at the crank).

Both have awesome handling and will prove more than capable on a track (although the Supra has an edge in this department).

But as other newbies have been told, get used to a stock car before you modify it...you'll learn to appreciate it in the long run, even more so if you do your own modifications...but that's just my philosophy and you're entitled to your own.

As long as you're enjoying it and having fun...

------------------

'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor
Going to replace the springs w/ a set of GC's

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
man... I wish I had 30k when I was 16...

You're going to spend 19K on a Prelude, and you don't know what year you're gonna get?

Either you're extremely lucky (which might explain the 30k), or you haven't done enough homework.

I'd say you could pick up a '98-99 in 2002 for that price. JRSC, you should be looking at 3k minimum just to buy it, and another 1k to make it work well (tuning, other crap), add another 1k for clutch/flywheel, another 1k for suspension setup, another 1k for cheap I/H/E, 2k for wheels, another 2k for bodykit installed and painted.

And then you'll just end up with a Prelude modded to the max that you could do for $30k, minus stereo.

As for how much power a JRSC puts out, I don't think anyone really knows the potential there yet. Try JR's website.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:
Either of those cars are going to be 3k+ per year in insurance for a 16 year old. If I had that choice, I would get the Supra, but at the same time, I will warn you. I was 16 just 2 years ago, I am 18 now. My first car, was an 88 Toyota Celica. I am so glad I got a cheap car for my first car, because I beat the living crap out of it, and ran it into the ground, then a wall. Although I didn't claim it on insurance because it was a minor wreck, and would've cost more than I paid for the car to get it fixed, I do think it was a wise decision to get a beater for the first 6 months or so. I then got a '99 Accord Coupe EX-V6 and then went to my Prelude because I feel I am a confident driver now.

</font>
He's got a point. Both cars are extremely nice and the last thing you'd want to worry about is fixing a minor scratch or dent. Then again, you don't want to drive around all paranoid thinking something's gonna happen to your car, and not enjoy the driving sensation.

Malken's right: get an old 5.0 and beat the living crap out of it...then move on to a more "mature" car like the prelude.

(Although I didn't necessairly adhere to this believe, FYI, i got my prelude at age 16 as well...but i didn't begin modifying until a year ago...btw im almost 19)

------------------

'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor
Going to replace the springs w/ a set of GC's

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:

</font>
The thing is i'll be driving my sis/parents cars for the first year, that should give me enough experience to at least handle a Prelude!

3K for only being a primary driver on a prelude? What the ****?

What is the advantage of being a "primary driver" than a regular one?

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
Ask your insurance company.
I think the way to get your insurance down cheaper is to put your dad's name as primary driver, and your name as secondary.

·
Registered
507 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">3K for JRSC
5K for Stereo
</font>
Get the lude, and put on minor mods!!

Your 16, how about investing the extra cash!!!!

Pal, let me give you some advice, if you are going to spend that kind of money on your car you are crazy, put it in the bank!!!

I cant stand it when i hear people who spend like 10 grand on bull,,,,and can barely make the car payment!!!

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pter:
man... I wish I had 30k when I was 16...

You're going to spend 19K on a Prelude, and you don't know what year you're gonna get?

Either you're extremely lucky (which might explain the 30k), or you haven't done enough homework.

I'd say you could pick up a '98-99 in 2002 for that price. JRSC, you should be looking at 3k minimum just to buy it, and another 1k to make it work well (tuning, other crap), add another 1k for clutch/flywheel, another 1k for suspension setup, another 1k for cheap I/H/E, 2k for wheels, another 2k for bodykit installed and painted.

And then you'll just end up with a Prelude modded to the max that you could do for $30k, minus stereo.

As for how much power a JRSC puts out, I don't think anyone really knows the potential there yet. Try JR's website.
</font>

Don't be such a little ****ing asshole. I earned every dollar of that 30K with hard ****ing work. I am doing my homework, 1 year early infact.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PAL:
I meant Prelude Base, not SH.

What were you laughing at?

Prelude=19K or so(used)
3K for JRSC
</font>
I thought that kit was $3800 and unless your a good mechanic and have worked on 5th Gen ludes before your going to have to pay for an install.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">5K for Stereo</font>
That's a hell of a system and a sh1tload of added weight.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
</font>
$850 for OEM kit $1500 for nice but not over the top rims and tires doesn't leave you with alot left over for bolt ons. If your going to go with the JRSC you'll need a short ram intake, free flowing catback exhaust and a header...well over a $1k there.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I can always mod it later...

When is the last year of lude?

How much HP to the wheels w/ JRSC and bolt ons?

·
Registered
6,314 Posts

Don't be such a little ****ing asshole. I earned every dollar of that 30K with hard ****ing work. I am doing my homework, 1 year early infact.
</font>
I think you need to relax a little bit, he was jsut pointing out that few of us had $30k at 16 and that your plans cost differently then you see them. I know having a nice car at that age seems to make sense now but that $30k you worked hard for won't be worth all that much when your done. You might want to think of driving something nice and investing that $$$$ for a few years and then you can drive something REALLY nice.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts

</font>
End of this thread.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts

</font>
End of this thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.