Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Prelude, a 94 Vtec, and I have a little girl that I would like to transport in this vehicle from time to time. Has anyone had any success locating the tether anchors for child car seats?

·
Registered
620 Posts
the rear seats in a prelude are already child seats! lol. i dont know i couldnt help you there but since this is your first post welcome to po.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
Funny story. My girlfriend and I walk out of a resturant and there's a nice blue 4g sitting there, dropped, body kit, 17" rims, exhaust.

I drive over to him to say what's up and the guy rolls down his windows and he looks like he's in his late 30s or 40s! :eek:

He had two kids in the back in child seats I think, but I can't remember for sure. So it can be done.

Also, just for story's sake, I'll finish.

I talked to him some more and asked him what kit he had, because I'd never seen it before. He said he didn't know and it was put on in Germany and was poly-urethane! Looked like nothing I'd ever seen before.

He also had custom dual exhaust (they were both wider than they were taller), custom interior it seemed, 17" rims, and an h22. He let me know about frequent autocrossing down here in Tucson, AZ too. What a good connection I made that day. Good thing I decided not to be shy-boy or something. Hahaha.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Does anyone know if the 4g Prelude is even equipped with anchor points?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
technically, couldn't you take out the rear seatbelt, and bolt down tethers/straps to where the seatbelt used to be using the same bolts? Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I think prelude styl has a good idea, my wife is due in sep so I'll
be doing the same the above if there arent tether straps:D

Congrats on the buy, welcome:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yeah.. I say something smart every once in a while:p

PS, iamlost, welcome to PO :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes. The problem with using the existing belt spot is a) it is offset and tethers are designed to go straight back, and b) you still need the belt to hold the lower part or base down.

I don't know when the law went into affect requiring them, but most vehicles built after '89 have spots for the anchors, but the local Honda dealership is just shrugging at me.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
yeah, I can't think of any place 'straight back' that you could attach the straps without drilling 'n such. Interesting.

·
I'm back baby!
907 Posts
I posted on the thrread in General Discussion, but I will reply here too.

As far as I know the rear tethers didn't startt showing up in cars (or on car seats for that matter) until the late 90s..... the lower anchors (the LA part of LATCH) came into being in 2002 I believe when LATCH was first brought about. There are kits to retrofit LATCH seats into non-LATCH equipped cars, but I don't know how much they cost or whether they require permanent installation (I would assume yes since it's the life of a child at stake here)

You could prolly buy a rear anchor part from a different Honda, such as a newer civic or something and just install it in yours, of course it has to be anchored to something solid, but I think that would be the easiest way to do it.

And like I said in the other thread, if your child seat is rear-facing your out of luck as far as it fitting back there, but you could prolly tell that just by looking :)

Oh yeah, welcome to PO :bigthumb:

·
Registered
927 Posts
read the manual! theres a section in there that shows the anchor point specifically made in the rear deck. although i think there is some drilling required.

·
KG6TWI
1,796 Posts
I have let my friend borrow my car a few times, he has 2 children in carseats.. but I belive he has the kind that just use the existing seatbelts. His kids are 3 and 5.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have the manual, but it does mention them?

If the child is older you can use the seats as a booster and don't need the tether since the shoulder belt crosses them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That's how I got my lude :) The guy that had it before couldn't get his carseats in the back... so it went up for sale and now that beautiful 4th gen is mine!

I don't know the details though as far as whether or not he COULDN"T get them in the back or he just didn't want to mess with it all the time... Good Luck though... I hope you don't have to sell your lude... and welcome aboard...

·
I'm back baby!
907 Posts
Hi.... this is fleshbox's wife :) Using the top teather isn't required. If you still want to use it, you can hook it to any non moving part of the car. So, hooking it to a seat wouldn't work because they move. Again, you don't *have* to use the teather. Just make sure you get the seat installed properly and that it doesn't move more than an inch in any direction and your little girl will be safe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you. Luckily there isn't an inch to move around back there anyway. I would just prefer to use the anchor I guess. It prevents the seat from lurching forward and babies heads hitting the back of the seat, and in a prelude it is a short trip.

·
I'm back baby!
907 Posts
If the seat is installed properly it won't move... top or bottom. I'd recomend going to a dealership and asking them, they're more likely to know. Or you could contact your local fire department. They sometimes do carseat checks (at least around here) and they'll probably be able to help you.

·
Banned
262 Posts
I have a two year old and a two month old. I have gotten both in my lude at once using only the seat belts for the placement. You gotta torque down the belt really tight and depending on how big the car seat is it will prolly touch the seat in front of it. I much rather take the two year old because her seat fits better than the rear facing baby seat. However I have not had one problem with the set up and actually it works out better because of the closeness to the next seat making the baby seat fit so snug. I have a 2000 Odyssey and it doesn't have any anchors. Neways it can be done you just gotta make sure the seats are in tight and you will have no problems. peace

Matt

1 - 20 of 24 Posts