Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let all of you 5th gen Honda Prelude owners know how lucky you are. I own a '97 Integra LS. A couple of days ago I decided to stop into a used car lot and see if there was anything worth test driving. They had a '98 Prelude on the lot and I decided to take it for a spin. WOW! The power was not all that impressive. I think the Prelude only posts a 7.0 on the 0-60. However, I read that it is suppposed to handle better then the NSX. And did it ever perform! I took it on a nice curvy road and on the interstate. It was fantastic! Hopefully I can compare it to an Integra Type-R and see just how it compares.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jarston:
WOW! The power was not all that impressive. However, I read that it is suppposed to handle better then the NSX.
</font>
hm..heh...hehe...hoho..HEHEH..AHAAHHHAHAHAHAH

Interesting testimonial. Now, did you really drive one?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I doubt we can out perform an NSX in the twisties and if I'm not mistaken ITR's corner better than Ludes as well.

But I bought my Lude for looks and all the toys it comes with! And I can look half decent coming out of the Lude wearing a Suit!

------------------
SlntSam

2000 Base, Sebring Silver
Member - Toronto Prelude Club

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read it in either Road & Track or Car & Driver....don't remember the particular date. Sorry.

And yes I did drive one. It did have good acceleration...as I mentioned I do have a '97 Integra LS. The Prelude did not seem to accelerate that much quicker then my car. About two weeks ago I test drove a '96 Vette. Now that had acceleration! That is most probably why I was disappointed with the Prelude's power, because I was expecting something closer to the Vette, and of course it doesn't have it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by desispeed:
Now where did you read this, i hope the salesman didn't tell you this??</font>

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
The Prelude did not seem to accelerate that much quicker then my car. About two weeks ago I test drove a '96 Vette. Now that had acceleration! That is most probably why I was disappointed with the Prelude's power, because I was expecting something closer to the Vette, and of course it doesn't have it.

IN B4 FLAMES!!!

</font>

·
Registered
997 Posts
I do have a '97 Integra LS. The Prelude did not seem to accelerate that much quicker then my car.

</font>

OMG. Hahahh

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
You must have tested a sickly 'Lude. Probably needs new plugs, clean injectors, 92+ octane, and a clean air filter. Used car dealers treat their stock like $hit.

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SlntSam:

But I bought my Lude for looks and all the toys it comes with! And I can look half decent coming out of the Lude wearing a Suit!
</font>
Hm..if i was wearing shorts and a dress shirt.. do you think i would look decent coming out of a NSX? hahaha...j/k

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by checkmate58:
Originally posted by SlntSam:

</font>
Hm..if i was wearing shorts and a dress shirt.. do you think i would look decent coming out of a NSX? hahaha...j/k

--Sam

I dunno about u. But i do!

------------------
"drive fast, be yorself, and party till she's cute!

Originally posted by some canadian guy:
Like I said, Road trip - baseball bat

·
Registered
39 Posts
Comparing a 200HP 4Cyl to a 330HP V8 is probably not a good comparison. As you probably know, you have to "wind up" the Prelude before you really get an idea of what power it has. If you keep it below about 3500RPM, you're not going to feel anything. The Vette (and most high-HP V8s and V6s), on the other hand, have lots of low-end torque; so you don't have to rev them to feel their power.

If you didn't feel that the Lude was much faster than your Integ LS, then you didn't drive it the way it was meant to be driven...

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 97SH:
If you didn't feel that the Lude was much faster than your Integ LS, then you didn't drive it the way it was meant to be driven...</font>
i wish we had the honda-tech "thumbs up" smiley here...

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
Summummabeach, you're a mod on OT now too???!!!!! You focker! :D Congrats, but wtf is going on? You've become a moderator in two forums in less than 2 months :confused: The world is gonna end :(</font>

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
If it didn't seem to accelerate much faster than your car it is because you probably never even went past 5k rpm. Trust me, an LS and a Prelude are night and day - please note we have something you lack, called vtec.

Unfortunately, the Corvette is a tad out of our league, but great comparison noneoftheless, thanks for the laugh. Whatever magazine you read that the Prelude outhandles the NSX, please burn it and cancel your subscription because it might be a little innaccurte.

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Not just that, you also have to warm up the car to get oil pressure up so it VTECs. =]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
If it didn't seem to accelerate much faster than your car it is because you probably never even went past 5k rpm. Trust me, an LS and a Prelude are night and day - please note we have something you lack, called vtec.

Unfortunately, the Corvette is a tad out of our league, but great comparison noneoftheless, thanks for the laugh. Whatever magazine you read that the Prelude outhandles the NSX, please burn it and cancel your subscription because it might be a little innaccurte.
</font>

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For your information, yes I did rev it passed the 3500 and 5500 rpm line. I reved it up to 7000 rpm. My Integra LS revs to 7000 rpm too. You guys need to remember that just because it is just an LS it still has a very nice Honda engine because Honda makes quality products.

The Prelude definitely does not have throw back power. I have felt that power before in a Vette and a Turbo-charged Buick that put it at 500 horses. Honda does not claim to put in big power. It is the handling of the car that is so wonderful. I test drove a '96 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS, what a TERRIBLE ride. Even with the turbo there is no way in hell I would buy that car. But that is also why I stay with cars, and Honda's in particular, is because I would rather have the control then the power. Look at the NSX. It does not compete in power to other cars in its price range (Viper for instance). Yet, people still buy it. Why? Because it is just so fantastic to drive.

I'm sorry if you guys can't take me comparing my $20,000 car to your $25,000 car.

As to the oil warming up...how long does that take. I took the Prelude for a 15-minute ride.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spite:
Not just that, you also have to warm up the car to get oil pressure up so it VTECs. =]

</font>

·
Premium Member
5,982 Posts
I test drove a '96 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS, what a TERRIBLE ride. Even with the turbo there is no way in hell I would buy that car

</font>
GS has turbo? I didn't know that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.