Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is odd. my 2001 prelude with stock shocks and springs seem to have a larger wheel gap compared to a <=2000 prelude with stock shox&springs....

its like 8cm or something!! what the heck!

·
Registered
653 Posts
there might be spring spacers there maybe? probably they werent removed when it arrived in america.

------------------
My Prelude! The patented multi-jumping makes you crazy sprinter and spin happy!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Might I suggest you measure from the ground to the lip thru the centerline of the wheel.
The measurement I have is 26.5" rear and 25.5" front for the stock setup on a level surface.

------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road

·
Registered
50 Posts
Are they both the same model??? Because I know for a fact that the SH sits a little higher then the Base model but not by much. So if yours is an SH and you measure it to a 2000 Base yours will be slightly higher.

------------------
2000 Prelude Type SH
Premium Pearl White

MODS: AEM CAI, DC Header, Greddy PE Exhaust, Vitek Wires, AEM CamGears, AEM TruPwr Pulleys, UR Crank Pulley, Apexi V-AFC, ACT XT Clutch, DC ShortShift Adaptor, ZEX 55 Shot Nitrous

V-Spec Coilovers, DC Fr. Upper Strut Bar, CarbonFiber Hood, OEM Bodykit, 17" Nippon Racing/NittoNT555ZRs, Type S shiftknob........

·
Da Monkii
3,076 Posts
i think its because its a new car man. Anyhow i have 2001 prelude and my friend got 98 both are base by the way. and my cris higherthan his.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've wondered about this myself. I have a 2000 base with koni's and eibachs. When it was stock, I regularly parked next to a friend with a stock '98 SS and my suspension was 1/4" higher (measuring the fender gap, I didn't measure ground clearance). I've heard settling occurs within the first few weeks/months, but my car was still taller. I've also seen other 2000/2001's and they look like SUV's compared to stock 97/98's (arg!!!). I'm convinced the ride height for '00/'01 (and maybe '99's) was increased. Hence, the '97/'98's being lower.

Also, the SH's are LOWER than bases not higher.

Drives me nuts the '00/01's are so tall from the factory. Well, I fixed that!

------------------
OOkie
2000pearlWHITEbase

Cripes! Another white 5th gen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
the SH are lower than Base??? You sure about that??? Let me know how you came up with the conclusion that SH are lower than Base.....just wondering.

------------------
2000 Prelude Type SH
Premium Pearl White

MODS: AEM CAI, DC Header, Greddy PE Exhaust, Vitek Wires, AEM CamGears, AEM TruPwr Pulleys, UR Crank Pulley, Apexi V-AFC, ACT XT Clutch, DC ShortShift Adaptor, ZEX 55 Shot Nitrous

V-Spec Coilovers, DC Fr. Upper Strut Bar, CarbonFiber Hood, OEM Bodykit, 17" Nippon Racing/NittoNT555ZRs, Type S shiftknob........

·
Registered
666 Posts
hmm yeah i ve noticed the preludes being higher also.. i remember going to a dealership to look at some preludes and man it looked like it was stilts.. but maybe its cos i was used to my lowered car. but still it looked much higher than mine did stock

------------------
98 FBP Prelude SS
AEM Intake
Eibach Pro-kit
Koni Yellows
Neuspeed Strut Bar
32 Tint all around

·
Registered
129 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SH22A4:
the SH are lower than Base??? You sure about that??? Let me know how you came up with the conclusion that SH are lower than Base.....just wondering.

</font>
I don't really remember where I heard it from first, but there are a lot of people on these and other boards that will agree. It makes sense to me. Why would the 'handling' version of the 'lude, with ATTS, come with a HIGHER center of gravity and with more suspension travel? I'm sure someone more technically savvy than me could explain it better.

------------------
OOkie
2000pearlWHITEbase

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, from what I remember. I might be wrong but the SH is slightly higher than the Base. The front shocks for the SH has a little lower seating then the Base and also thicker. But the SH's springs are slightly longer than the Base also. I don't know how it equates but it ends up the SH being I think around 8-10 MM higher than the Base. Also......just because a car is lower to the ground doesn't mean it will corner better
You need suspension travel for good handling. I see some people slam their cars and leave no travel what so ever and thinks their car can pull 2Gs on the Lateral..

------------------
2000 Prelude Type SH
Premium Pearl White

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
this would be an interesting thing to measure... on cars with similar mileage, etc. i always thought (just based on eyeballin') that the sh was lower, but who knows... i'm not lowered at all, except for the 1/4 inch or so that results from the tire/rim combo.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YES, 8-9cm!! not mm! i had my car for 2 months now.

i noticed that when i had my 2000 sport shift model, the "shock knock" started occuring within a month. its been two months since i bought a new 2001 5speed now and i dont get "shock knocking" at all. they must have done SOMETHING to spacers or bushings to fix this.... as a result making the car higher off the ground?

i have no idea.. but asap, i'm getting shocks and springs hhee hee.

[This message has been edited by jkoc (edited April 18, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Hmm, 8-9cm seems a little high, but that's about 4 fingers.

Possible reasons why your 2001 is higher than a 2000:
- did one of the cars have a full tank of gas/stuff in the trunk (when I load up my race tires/gear in the car, the added weight lowers the rear substantially)
-did you measure it after you had just jacked the car up (takes some time for the springs/shocks to settle after you put the car back on the ground)
-same size tires? same pressure? were the tires worn on one car (measure a brand new tire and one that's at the wear bars and there's a huge difference)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pork Chop:
Hmm, 8-9cm seems a little high, but that's about 4 fingers.

Possible reasons why your 2001 is higher than a 2000:
- did one of the cars have a full tank of gas/stuff in the trunk (when I load up my race tires/gear in the car, the added weight lowers the rear substantially)
-did you measure it after you had just jacked the car up (takes some time for the springs/shocks to settle after you put the car back on the ground)
-same size tires? same pressure? were the tires worn on one car (measure a brand new tire and one that's at the wear bars and there's a huge difference)
</font>
no to all the questions above...
brand new car, stock bridgestone crap tires, nothing in the trunk except a spare tire.

odd isnt it? i just went outside and measured it... its actually around 7.5cm wheel gap. still, thats around 3".

anyway.

·
Registered
129 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SH22A4:
Well, from what I remember. I might be wrong but the SH is slightly higher than the Base. The front shocks for the SH has a little lower seating then the Base and also thicker. But the SH's springs are slightly longer than the Base also. I don't know how it equates but it ends up the SH being I think around 8-10 MM higher than the Base. Also......just because a car is lower to the ground doesn't mean it will corner better
You need suspension travel for good handling. I see some people slam their cars and leave no travel what so ever and thinks their car can pull 2Gs on the Lateral..

</font>
But lower center of gravity does equate to better stability and less weight transference, and I'm not talking about slammed cars (The M3 is lower than the normal 3 series, right?). The wheel travel most cars come with is to make them more compliant for the average driver and average road conditions. I still think you have it backwards (SH being 8mm lower). Lower perch equals lower ride height and taller spring just means it's compressed more, right? I'll have to see some official Honda #'s to be convinced SH is TALLER. You should have seen my car stock! No way an SH was taller than my car. I thought I was driving an SUV!!!

Oh, damn! I finally got a star!!! Whoohoo.

------------------
OOkie
2000pearlWHITEbase

[This message has been edited by OOkie (edited April 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:
this would be an interesting thing to measure... on cars with similar mileage, etc. i always thought (just based on eyeballin') that the sh was lower, but who knows... i'm not lowered at all, except for the 1/4 inch or so that results from the tire/rim combo.

</font>
i must admit, YOUR CAR LOOKs Swwwwweeeeeeet

1 - 20 of 24 Posts