Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to start running autocross this weekend. I've heard and read about the power steering pump not being able to keep up with demand.

1. I'm assuming this is only in extreme circumstances such as slolom. Yes?

2. Is there a better pump to replace the OEM?

I'll admit up front I have not looked into this yet, so apologies if this question has an obvious answer.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
don't worry, you'll get used to it like i did. are you going to the one in Joliet?

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuDeGirL1004:
EVIL EVIL EVIL I say.</font>

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Yeah, I've been thinking about this some too...What about a pump from a Legend coupe? Something able to handle the excessive weight of our front driver yet not too soft...would there be any way to swap out the pump for a difference honda/acura pump?

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

·
Registered
666 Posts
yeah i want to know too! that crappy power steering pump is pissing me off! at first i didnt know about it until i went autox this past weekend. now i know, and it pisses me off that they designed such a good car with that flaw.

------------------
98 FBP Prelude SS
AEM Intake
Eibach Pro-kit
Koni Yellows
Neuspeed Strut Bar
32 Tint all around

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scriber:
I haven't noticed this yet.</font>
I don't think I have noticed it yet either. If I did I just didn't realize it.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
I don't think I have noticed it yet either. If I did I just didn't realize it.

</font>
No...if it did happen, it's impossible not to notice it. It just hasn't happened yet

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OvaDaLimiT:
No...if it did happen, it's impossible not to notice it. It just hasn't happened yet
</font>
So what happens again? You feel resistence turning to the right or something?

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
So what happens again? You feel resistence turning to the right or something?</font>
it feels like the steering wheel becomes 20lbs heavier all of a sudden...

WAIT! i know why i don't feel it anymore: i'm driving a lot smoother now, THAT'S WHY!

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuDeGirL1004:
EVIL EVIL EVIL I say.</font>

·
Registered
104 Posts
Does anyone know if there's a manual steering rack available for the '99 SH...? I hate the power steering unit - it stiffens up in some tight corners.

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:
it feels like the steering wheel becomes 20lbs heavier all of a sudden...

WAIT! i know why i don't feel it anymore: i'm driving a lot smoother now, THAT'S WHY!

</font>
Yup...it feels like you're trying to turn the wheel when your ignition is off and your car is in park.

Nawh...that's kind extreme, but that's what it feels like all of a sudden when it kicks out. Being smooth helps out a lot...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Have you read the literature that came with the car-sorry to rag but it clearly tells you that the power steering works to a setpoint and then shuts off. My dealer tells me that this is the case above 15mph. Anyway-to the best of my info there is no Honda part that is available for a conversion to manual steering. Have you driven a 3200 pound (includes driver and fuel) car without it lately. My Civic HB is hard to deal with when parking-great for cornering fast. The Prelude is very similar if you drive smooth and keep the speed up.
Just my observations.

------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jc836:
My dealer tells me that this is the case above 15mph. </font>
I've had it only happen twice and both times I was doing less then 15mph. I whipped into a parking ot once just screwing around and the other time I was going slow by my friends street and cut into the block then into his driveway...that was under 15mph as well. It SUCKS when it happens!

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BluePowder7:
Does anyone know if there's a manual steering rack available for the '99 SH...? I hate the power steering unit - it stiffens up in some tight corners.</font>
If you find one with the same or less turns lock-to-lock, let me know. I have searched, but with no success.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jc836:
Have you read the literature that came with the car-sorry to rag but it clearly tells you that the power steering works to a setpoint and then shuts off. My dealer tells me that this is the case above 15mph...
</font>
This is true to a point. FYI, the 4th gen and earlier Preludes used a speed-sensitive system that had a pressure regulator driven by the speed sensor in the tranny. P/S pressure in the rack was regulated by this dude, varying with actual land speed.

In the 5th gen we got ripped off. They went cheap, and do all the regulation in the pump itself. Therefore, assist is based on engine speed, NOT land speed.

The problem, as I have experienced it, occurs near redline (maybe above 6500RPMS) in first gear- makes sense, you're going relatively slow and losing assist, possibly even fighting the pressure that's in the rack, or at least the pump. I haven't heard is the 4th gens have this problem, but it doesn't take a genius to see that's it's a much better system.

For anyone who cares, in the course of all my 4WS research I also looked at a 4th gen p/s swap for the 5th gen. Forget it. New pump, new rack, new lines... it's not worth it.

There also is a p/s pressure sensor on the line to the rack that goes to the ECU. Anyone know what it does? There's no signal or control back to the pump or rack, so the pressure is for input only to the ECU. I haven't been able to figure out what they hell it wants to know that for. When I disconnected the pump and ran the car, the ECU didn't care (so it's probably not for failure detection).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:
don't worry, you'll get used to it like i did. are you going to the one in Joliet?

</font>
Nope, Going to the one at Triton College. It's a TSSCC (Tri-State Sports Car Council)meet. A family member is director of the organization and promised I could be "Honorary Cone Boy" if I show. Should be fun!

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Well, it only really occurs when you are driving hard and fast. You will need a better technique when you start driving faster on the course. When you are driving too slow, you dont notice it. When you are driving fast enough to actually take cones and such, then you will notice it if you are driving too hot and not using the gas properly. You need to squeeze the gas and use it to exit the turn so you get the engine at the right speed to help the exit and any turning needed. It starts to not be a problem the more you do it.

------------------
If you only knew the power of the Lude...
'98 Red Base Prelude
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - SCCA Solo2
AEM CAI, APEX-i VAFC, Neuspeed Ft Up Strut Bar, 28 mm Neuspeed RR Sway Bar, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, and SH RR Deck installed. Shock knock cure done. Installing Quaife ATB Differential.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts