Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellow prelude owners! i'm new to the site and new to preludes as well. i just purchased a 1994 Si and have been working on it trying to get it back on the road.

my most current issue is a massive power steering leak. i took the car to the 'experts' at meineke since they are close to where i live and i didn't want to risk any more damage by driving it too far. they told me that the rack is bad and needs to be replaced. i asked them to check the high pressure hose and they said it was fine.

when i got up under the car and looked at it, it looks as if i'm leaking from a very tiny hose that runs from the driver's side towards the passenger side just above the rack. the mechanic said something to the effect that there was a seal that was bad letting high pressure into this hose causing it to break (if i heard him correctly).

right now i have 2 questions:
1) Is replacing the entire rack necessary? Sounds like it isn't a bad option since I would probably have to pull it off to fix whatever the problem is if it isn't the rack itself.
2) If replacing the rack is the answer, is this something that I can tackle on my own using a jack and jack stands? The mechanic and shop manager were telling me that I would have to pull off a cross-member or part of the sub frame and would need to support the motor in order to pull the rack out. Basically they were telling me that I wouldn't want to do this myself and should let them fix it.

If anyone has any links to a walkthrough for this repair that would be awesome. Also, if there are any suggestions for steering upgrades while I've got the car torn apart let me know. Thanks for the help and I'll keep searching for some more info.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
mine leaked, but very slowly and using a fluid with a additive seemed to help but not sure about yours. most cars this old its usually just the seals that are bad and if the fluid only drops to the lower level and takes say a couple of weeks to do so then i wouldnt bother but if it drops in days then something bigger might be wrong.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts