Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has tried, or would know, if the 2008 Acura TL Type-S Front Brake Calipers (4 piston I believe) would fit a 2001 Prelude. If so, even with little modification, it would be a good brake upgrade investment since I already have cross-drilled rotors.

Thanks.

Here is the link to generally see what they look like: HONDA PARTS UNLIMITED... YOUR SOURCE FOR OEM HONDA AND ACURA PARTS AND ACCESSORIES!!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
you would have to get custom made brackets (most likely) and either shave the caliper or get new rims with a larger offset.

someone here got a hold of some 2nd gen RL calipers (which i assume TL calipers would fall victim to the same scenario) and had to get custom brackets and the calipers rubbed.

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
1. Cross drilled rotors don't help.

2. The best brake upgrade you can get is buy the right pads for your application. Adding _ - piston calipers won't necessarily make you have quicker stopping times. Neither is buying race only pads and using them on the street (that's a big no no).

3. If you want the look, then fine, just don't think they will help you brake any better.

4. Seeing as this is most likely to make the car look better, why not buy a real bbk (alcon, wilwood, brembo, etc)

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I have just bought some type s calipers and are doing this very same upgrade

I'm in the process of getting a bracket made
i have and old AEM big brake kit that is 12.1, the type s rotors are 12.2.

i will post some picts when im done.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
update I just bought some new powerslot big brake rotors from summit there not supposes to ship until the 20 of feb so its gonna be a bit before i have any updates.

Also powerslot says that there discontinuing the brake upgrade for the prelude but summit still offers them so i ordered new rotors, if i cant get them then ill use the type s rotors.

some might ask why i just dont use the type s to begin with.
the type s are cast (heavey) the powerslots are a 2 piece style (lighter).

still need to get my hands on a type s rotor

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
the new plan is to use RSX type S big brake rotors from power slot.
I have all the parts execpt brake lines that will go from the TL brembo to prelude factory lines.

here are some picts of the rotors. The black ones are the new power slot plus for the RSX type S

the old ones are from my original big brake kit from AEM back befor power slot took over.
you can see that the RSX are around 13.7 in dia.

Attachments

·
Unregistered
4,054 Posts
Any pics of the bracket you used?

+1 on the 'prelude'. Looks like it was written with white out

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I have some picts of the brakets.
I'm going to re-due the prelude wording when I get everything lined up.
plus the calipers got pretty beat up in trying to get everything mocked up

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
^glad it's working for you, but my .02, that "prelude" looks really tacky

Maybe used a stencil next time?
hahaha agreed. Big time. :bigthumb: its done with white out :laugh:

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
Here are what you can steal parts (rotors and calipers) from:

03-07 Accord V6 6M
02-04 Odyssey
04-08 Pilot
00-08 S2000
01-03 CL
99-03 RL
02-04 RL
99-03 TL
04-08 TL AT
01-06 MDX
97-04 NSX
04-08 TSX

Copied from OHPOC.org. A member just did a very detailed write up on this. BBK on a budget.Very nice.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
They are 18s 18X7, the "prelude' does look like crap. more importantly they work outstanding. I'm very vey pleased with the upgrade. No problems after 2000mi. I have done some heavy breaking from 120mph plus with no signs of fading like the stocks.

also some of the other honda's have a diff. rotor back spacing and are not very large dia rotors. the ones I have are 13.7 bearly fit under the 18" wheels

"white-out" huh the brakes can be repainted I have not seen any other ludes with this mod.
don"t hate
this seams to be the first lude i could finde

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
^as much as I'm glad you're brakes are working fine

Just because you're the first to do something doesn't mean it's awesome. As long as it's awesome to you that's all that really matters. Just don't expect everyone else to throw and and suck up to it.

How did you check the "fading" from 120mph? One pass? I hope this wasn't on public streets. Go for a 2 hour track day and see how well they really stand up with some better pads on there. That will tell you if they're really working correctly.

·
Preludes... nuff said
530 Posts
Nice.... i thought about doing this but it wasn't in the budget and I got a 16" wheel. Not sure if that would fit.

IMO..... leaving the word ACURA on there would have been baller!

haha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts