Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this done to a 4th gen? I have a 94 si, and was thinking about getting this done. Can you feel the difference? How much $$$ am I looking at? Thanks

G

·
It definitely makes a difference (if the person knows what they are doing). Price depends on what you want done. Price can go from $750 to over $2k.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
another SS->5spd!
1,373 Posts
How many gaskets that are needed to be replaced when doing P&P on H22A?

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
I'd try and find someone who's done this on the H23. I'd be curious to see how different it is than the H22; I know, though, on the H22 that there is a fair amount of room for improvement.

If it's the same manifold I'd suspect that a p/p wouldn't do much... Unless you have some seriously hot cams, I'm betting your airflow is a good 20% less than that of an H23 at redline.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So...if I get a port and polish job, I have to also port the exhaust/intake manifolds? Anything else I have to do? So with everything, how much do you estimate it will cost me? Anyone? Also, is it worth the money?

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hoosierluder:
can you reccomend me some places that will do a nice job? I don't want to spend more than $800. Thank you</font>
You get what you pay for. It will cost you quite a bit just to pull the head off. If you're going to go through the trouble of pulling the head, I would replace the timing belt and water pump while you're in there, that's about $120. Then you have to replace the head gasket, $50. Ideally you should replace the head bolts as well (although you don't HAVE to, but it's a good idea), $50. There are a bunch of misc. gaskets that have to be replaced, including, valve seals, valve cover gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, intake gasket, etc. You're looking at over $200, just in parts to pull the head!

If you want cheap, that's what you're going to get. Porting a head is an art that takes a lot of skill. Anyone worth a damn is going to charge for their skill. If you want someone to go in there and hog out the ports, I am sure you can find someone cheap, that's easy to do. Then you're going to kill low rpm velocity, and you're going to make **** low rpm power.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hoosierluder:
So...if I get a port and polish job, I have to also port the exhaust/intake manifolds? Anything else I have to do? So with everything, how much do you estimate it will cost me? Anyone? Also, is it worth the money?</font>
You would need to have the intake and exhaust manifolds port matched. For a good port job, expect to pay at least $1k, then tack on the extra $200 or so for the parts to remove/reinstall the head.

It's worth the money, if you get it done RIGHT.

You need to realize that when you port a head, you need to port it with a specific setup in mind. A particular porting job doesn't work for ALL cams. If you have a really hot cam, larger ports are in order, but the larger you make the ports, the worse your low rpm power is going to be. If you're looking at just high end power, large ports and a hot cam are best. If you want low end power, smaller ports and a milder cam is what's best.

It all depends on your setup.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
www.portflow.com Tom charged me 7 bills and he and a friend did it overnight! he is a great guy with alot of experience. my local mechanic charged me 6 bills to yank the head and reinstall it with all the goodies. i paid like 2 bills for the cam seals, head gasket, intake gasket, etc...and something like 3 bills to overnight back and forth. email me if you want pictures...

d

------------------
Resist, and you'll be overcome

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
how was the power before and after the p&p danny? didn't you have some other stuff done at the same time?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HRC:
www.portflow.com Tom charged me 7 bills and he and a friend did it overnight! he is a great guy with alot of experience. my local mechanic charged me 6 bills to yank the head and reinstall it with all the goodies. i paid like 2 bills for the cam seals, head gasket, intake gasket, etc...and something like 3 bills to overnight back and forth. email me if you want pictures...

d

</font>

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:
how was the power before and after the p&p danny? didn't you have some other stuff done at the same time?

</font>
yea, the s-cams, jun sprockets, new valvetrain, etc...the results are well worth it. the car just wants to keep pulling past cutoff. i need ecu tuning...bad! you must come over for a ride, plus i haven't seen your mugens in person yet. also, you can feel what a fully done suspesion feels like compared to yours

------------------

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
hah hah - everyone trying to get me to do my suspension (read DROP)

i think i drove your car after all that stuff, didn't i? that day at the pac bell park lot? it felt pretty... eager. maybe we could get together and do a valve adjustment.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HRC:
yea, the s-cams, jun sprockets, new valvetrain, etc...the results are well worth it. the car just wants to keep pulling past cutoff. i need ecu tuning...bad! you must come over for a ride, plus i haven't seen your mugens in person yet. also, you can feel what a fully done suspesion feels like compared to yours

</font>

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:

i think i drove your car after all that stuff, didn't i? that day at the pac bell park lot? it felt pretty... eager. maybe we could get together and do a valve adjustment.

</font>
i mean sitting in the car when i shift at 8K's & stuff...

you know your more than welcome to stop by almost anytime, it's up to YOU to find the time!

d

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
Warren, I thought you had problems with KMS?

------------------
AIM screename: jsarino
'99 Ficus Green Pearl Type SH:
AEM cai, DC Sports SS header, Mugen exhaust, RH Evo CP-035s, GC/Konis, Spoon bars, and more!

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacques:
Warren, I thought you had problems with KMS?

</font>

No, I was disappointed when I first ran my car after getting the work done, but it was out of tune and had a bad clutch.

After changing the clutch, not to mention the flywheel, and changing the spark plugs its running very nicely.

Judging from the G-Tech I should be able to beat my previous best now, but won't say until I run at the strip.

I was just mad because of running low 14's with a slipping clutch and fouling spark plugs. I really should have been impressed it ran that good with that handicap.

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
Warren, how much did KMS run you for the work? I remember it being steep, but I'd like to know...for my future reference

------------------
AIM screename: jsarino
'99 Ficus Green Pearl Type SH:
AEM cai, DC Sports SS header, Mugen exhaust, RH Evo CP-035s, GC/Konis, Spoon bars, and more!

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
$6,150 for what I had done, port and polish, head milled .30, moderate cams, honed, 5 angle valve job intake, 3 angle exhaust, higher rate springs, retainers, narrowed and tapered valves with a swirl finish, rings, etc..etc...

Compression is about 11.5. The crank remained stock.

·
Registered
37 Posts
HRC,

Who's the local mechanic that you had pull your head and how long did it take him? I'm thinking of replacing the pistons with some high compression ones and I don't want to do the work myself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts