Honda Prelude Online banner

Poll: Whos for the JRSC who's against it, and why.

2K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  DraGen3Lude 
#1 ·
I'm personally in favor of it, but if you read my replies to the jrsc posts I think that's obvious. I think it's the best non-custom FI kit available. If I could afford it I would buy it, but car payments alone are killing me. Alot of people seem to be against it on the board, just want to see where the majority of you stand. I know Billy, is doing a NA build, so I assume he is more towards the JUN crowd (correct me if I'm wrong Billy, I'm just making an educated guess). Even I'm not a full supporter, because I would rather get a Vortec SC if they made one for the H22A.

#2 ·
i would definately get a vortech s/c over the jackson (if one existed)

the design seems to be much simpler, less pulleys, less belts whizzing millimeters from my brake lines....

I think vortech's design allows use for a small air-water intercooler as well.....come on vortech, get off your a$$es!!

#4 ·
I used to think it was great, but recently I have gotten turned off. I have read about reliability problems and some of the dynos I have seen don't seem worth the money when you could just go turbo. I am not sure about the gains for the prelude yet, but personally I would rather just wait for drag gen 3.

#6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
I wouldn't say I am against it but I would never buy one based on what I have read regarding Jackson's SC's on other various Honda's.

I am as excited as anyone to see a real dyno of a SC equipped Prelude.
</font>
i would be VERY suprised to see if anyone puts out 238 whp...im thinking more 215-220ish

#10 ·
install time is dependent on how knowledgable you are. There were no online helpers to help these guys install the vortech on the civic si because it's so new. And who's to say that the time it takes to install the kit depends on how great the kit is?

TAKE YOUR TIME ON THIS INSTALL. I'm sure you'll regret it later if you blow up your engine. "i should've taken the time to do this instead" is something we don't need to hear....or "i know what i did wrong"

do it right the first time, especially w/ FI or you 'll be sorry.

Tim

#11 ·
Oh, and I'm in favor of it as far as real world driving goes. The vortec doesn't produce maximum boost until redline as it is a cenrifigul sc. The JRSC gets full boost at 3000rpm. Turbo's also don't get boost until 4000-5000 rpm if you're are going for 350+hp.
If you go NA you will spend much more money for the same HP without getting the extra low-end torque. Let us not forgat that the Eaton SC which the JRSC is based on, is the same unit found on $40,000+ luxury cars and will last 100,00 miles. So if you're only looking for a kit that will be relatively easy to install and you aren't getting it specifically for drag racing, the JRSC is the choice.

#12 ·
The Vortech isn't simple. It's also extremely expensive, if you haven't noticed - much more than Vortech's other products.

I'd rather have a JRSC and have Endyn do its mods to it, than a Vortech. Hondas have too little power on the low-end as it is...

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

#13 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aaron97SH:
Oh, and I'm in favor of it as far as real world driving goes. The vortec doesn't produce maximum boost until redline as it is a cenrifigul sc. The JRSC gets full boost at 3000rpm. Turbo's also don't get boost until 4000-5000 rpm if you're are going for 350+hp.
If you go NA you will spend much more money for the same HP without getting the extra low-end torque. Let us not forgat that the Eaton SC which the JRSC is based on, is the same unit found on $40,000+ luxury cars and will last 100,00 miles. So if you're only looking for a kit that will be relatively easy to install and you aren't getting it specifically for drag racing, the JRSC is the choice.
</font>
if you want to compare apples to apples, you can get a t3 super 60 turbo. Smaller than a t3/t4 turbo w/ quicker spool times at the sacrifice of high rpm hp. That will esentially pu the t3 at the same levels at the jsrc (hp wise). My friend has a t3 super 60 turbo on his integra. he gets full boost (9 psi) at 2500 rpm. he beats me off the line, but i take him if we are rolling in any gear above 3400rpm (when i reach full boost)

but yes, we're beating a dead horse here, hehe.....atleast the jsrc is out. no evidence of it's greatness has convinced me to switch over yet.

Tim

#14 ·
I'm for it, but then again all my knowledge of the JRSC is based off of my friends SC'd GSR. He has had his JRSC on his car for over a year and has had no problems at all. While I know that the two engines differ a great deal, I have a bit of faith in Jackson Racing. I'll be getting a kit sooner or later.

------------------
99 Red 5spd Prelude=AutoX
90 auto Accord sedan=DD
AIM: Jvtecsho

G
#15 ·
I am not really against the JRSC, I just believe that the install is too tight, and the car and engine just doesn't lend itself to an SC install.

I am also biased because of all of the bad stories I have heard from JRSC owners (not hearsay). I have heard from plenty of ITR owners that the JRSC doesn't live up to JR's power claims, and I have heard from many Civic and Integra owners about engine issues (idle quality, etc. etc.).

Look at the JRSC install pictures. The brake lines must be bent in order to make room for the belt drive system. The PS line runs over the valve cover (which means you have to remove it to do a valve adjustment). Since the PS fitting won't fit properly, JR puts this ghetto adapter on it. They should have machined a new PS fluid line instead of using an adapter. The prototype SC had a much better setup for the PS line. I hope you don't have any injector problems with the SC installed. It looks like you would have to remove the blower to get to the injectors. It also looks like you would have to remove the belt system to get the valve cover off. Geez, doing a valve adjustment looks like it will be a *****!!!

The blower design is also very good on the JRSC, however it lacks an intercooler (or aftercooler, whatever you want to call it), so intake temps will get very high at full boost.

I question reliability of the SC and of the engine with an SC installed (with no internal upgrades). I don't have anything to say about it, I just wonder how things will turn out. The belt system is my main concern.

Oh, and it's not the price that turns me off of the JRSC. I could buy 2 JRSC's for the price that I am paying to get some good output NA.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

G
#16 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aaron97SH:
If the vortec is so simple, WHY does it take 16 hours to install on a Civic Si????</font>
I would say that springs and dampers are more complicated than a timing belt (it's just a belt!), but it takes a lot more time to do a timing belt than springs and dampers!

Besides, install time varies with experience. I can remove the front dampers from a 5Gen in less than 30 minutes now. First time took me hours.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

#17 ·
i wont be for or against it until i see some longterm results.

i guess the fact that i cant afford that thing right now is a blessing in disguise. just wait and see....

for those of you who are getting it installed as we speak -- LETTUCE KNOW. i hope it does TURNIP ok.

#18 ·
I want to wait for a Vortec really and see what they can do in terms of power and how they put the thing in there. It will be very interesting to see the numbers though on the dyno of the JRSC...

------------------
If you only knew the power of the Lude...
'98 Red Base Prelude
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - SCCA Solo2
AEM CAI, APEX-i VAFC, Neuspeed Ft Up Strut Bar, 28 mm Neuspeed RR Sway Bar, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, and SH RR Deck installed. Shock knock cure done. Installing Quaife ATB Differential.

#19 ·
I'm still undecided on the JRSC. The Vortech is great for all you peak HP fanatics, but considering most of you don't shift at redline, or anywhere near it, you can cut your power ouput by 30%plus. I'd never buy one.

The most interesting kit may be the rimmer-based kit. It's expensive like the Vortech, but could have more features from what I've seen. At this point we've got 1 in production but no real feedback on it, 1 in prototype stages, and one vaporware...

#20 ·
i'm definatly getting the jrsc, i have confidence in the company, and if messes anything up there is a warranty, or i'll be sueing some ASS! haha, no really i trust this system will deliver good reliable power.
I have i/h/e cam gears, pulleys and v-afc....correctly tuned jackson racing says possibly 250-270hp 210-220tq
peace

------------------
1997 San Marino Red Type SH
www.Micrew.net
AEM CAI, DC sports header, Apexi N1, Skunk2 Cam gears, Apexi V-AFC, UR pulleys, Autometer Sport Comp Tach, Koni Yellows, Ground Controls,
PIAA/Koito lights
Wants: Turbo...turbo...turbo and maybe Cams

#21 ·
i was going to get the jrsc for sure about a year ago when i first heard about it... it sounded too good to be true; and perhaps it is.

the price is not the issue, and shouldn't be for anyone. there are people who will spend $800 on an exhaust that might even make their car slower; $500 on headers that might net 5hp on a good day, etc etc. $3200 for a product that will get you 50-80 whp and corresponding torque is a better $/hp ratio than any mod i've heard of, especially when you consider it's not just the usual high end in exchange for low end.

the install is very disappointing though, and i'm extremely skeptical of anything that takes so much work to cram into the engine bay. i am not used to cars that don't behave exactly as they are supposed to, and because of that i've decided to basically not make any engine modifications to my lude. every single mod out there seems to have some problems, whether it be bad idle, rusting flanges, valvetrain damage, noisiness, dimming lights, check engine lights, emissions problems, etc etc etc etc.

so i'm waiting to see how people in the real world do with the jrsc. if it ever comes out for the SH, and if it seems to be reliable, i'll get one. if not, i'll just have to wait for the r35 next year

#22 ·
This is really a moot point. Any kit, be it Turbo, SC or even NOS come with inherent weak points. They can be good or bad. The end result is really determined by YOU: How well you understand the system and how you tweak & tune it.

If you put forth the time & effort to really educate yourself on what you're getting into for your specific application you can have a lot of fun. If not, maybe you learn some expensive lessons down the road...

So it's not a matter of liking or disliking a kit. It's a matter of how well you understand what you're getting into and how willing you are to spend the time & $$$ to do it right!!!

#23 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IXLR8:
So it's not a matter of liking or disliking a kit. It's a matter of how well you understand what you're getting into and how willing you are to spend the time & $$$ to do it right!!!</font>
Well, that's part of the problem. There is no way of knowing what you are getting into with the jrsc. The first hand and second hand reviews differ like night and day. Just like it says in some of the above posts, some Civic Si, and ITR owners love and have had no problems with it, others hate and have had tons of UNEXPECTED problems with it. The fit in the compartment and issues like that are obvious, the questions concerning the reliability of the system is where the focus of this question lies. Most of us know of the up and down points of forced induction, NA builds, and Nitrous. We tune our cars based off of our preferences, the problem with the jrsc, is the lack of information on it's possible unapparent down falls. We can not just look at it as a supercharger, the method of installation and implementation bring up very valid questions.

#24 ·
Well aside from all that, I wonder if it will ever come out for the 4g vtec.. especially since it is SOO Crammed into the 5g engine bay... oh well my baby has 116k miles on it so I am gonna rebuild the engine soon.. course now is the question of going N/A or FI.. it seems like either route can have some pretty scary results.. oh well GOOD LUCK to all the JRSC ludes out there!!

ANdres

------------------
1994 VTEC
Eibach Pro-kit, KYB AGX shocks, AEM CAI, AEM pullies, Thermal exhaust.

#26 ·
IMO, the JRSC is too much trouble, too risky, too expensive, and too late. I've been reading about how wonderful it was going to be for 18 months. Now I'm tired. I'd rather have a turbo.

If I were going to spend a lot of time and money modifying a car to maximize performance, I think I'd rather have a '65 GTO.

If I wanted more than 200 hp in a daily driver, I'd just pay more and get something that comes that way from the factory. The new Mercedes C-coupe (not CLK) is supposed to be pretty hot when it comes out. The BMW is already there. The Acura CL-S has the power and luxury all in one package at a very reasonable price.

The 'Lude is a great car. But remember its limits and original designed purpose. Sometimes we get carried away with all the mods that are on the market. Sometimes we get too competitive and try to make our babies into something they're not.

------------------
My Mechanic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.