Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just polished and then waxed my car a couple days ago... If I decide I want to polish it again in a couple weeks, but the wax is still on there.. is there anything wrong with having layers of polish/wax/polish/wax?

Also, how long will the polish last on a car without waxing afterwards? will it be gone after the first rainfall?

·
¡¡¡ǝɹǝɥ sɐʍ sdnʇuǝɯǝɔ
5,891 Posts
I was wondering the same thing actually. I gave my CRX a good clean and wax and was thinking about going over the wax with a polish and another coat of wax. How bout some input guys?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've never tried it... but a polish is designed to brighten the paint and depending on the brand... might have a very fine cut to it. By putting polish over the wax... I would think the wax would just keep the polish from doing what it is supposed to do and/or breaking down the wax, therefore leaving you with less protection. The best way would be to claybar the car... then polish and then wax.

·
Putt Putt...Vroom Vroom!
2,821 Posts
no, it won't work. if the polish is even the slightest bit aggressive, you're most likely to buff off the wax that its going onto

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DudewithaLude said:
no, it won't work. if the polish is even the slightest bit aggressive, you're most likely to buff off the wax that its going onto
So if the polish just removes the wax, and then we wax again after... then there really isnt a problem right?

Its just that first layer of wax is gone

·
Putt Putt...Vroom Vroom!
2,821 Posts
yea, that would be the only thing, kinda wasted effort on that first wax. as for polish alone, it doesn't stand up to the elements that well at all; thats the waxes job :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DudewithaLude said:
I havn't tried any, but I doubt their effectiveness will be as good as using seperate polish/wax
I need to buy a buffer :)

It took me about 3 hours to detail my car this past week, and its already rained 3 days in a row

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Durability depends on the wax and where you live, where your car is parked, etc. If you get alot of acid rain or live near the beach where you get alot of salt in the air, etc then the wax won't last as long. Also factor in rain and how often you wash the car. In general, I'd say 1-2 months...

As for polishing over wax: you need to polish the paint for the polish to be effective. I haven't done it either, but there is a chance the wax would cake up on your pad/applicator if you're taking it off with a polish. It might also haze the wax if it doesn't completely remove it. I would recommend stripping off the wax before you use any polish to get the best results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts