Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
rotorless rotorite :(
Joined
·
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about getting some Accel plugs and wires, but i wanted to know is there a better brand out there? also what else should i be upgrading along with plugs and wires? and what size wires should i get (8.0 or 8.5mm?) is there a difference?

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,863 Posts
I am using the Accel 300+ wires.

I was skeptical about noticing too much of a difference with wires alone but was very surprised to get a noticable increase in power, especially at low rpms, from the wires.

As far as plugs go the stock NGK platinums are the best.

The only decision should be do you want the PFRG7F-11's or the PZFR6F-11's. The 7's are a little colder. The 6's have an extended electrode and are the best imho if you have anything less than forced induction or higher compression, where the colder plugs would help to ward off detonation.

------------------
Warren

93 Prelude VTEC N/A (lots of mods) [email protected]

00 Honda Accord SE (stock)
 

·
rotorless rotorite :(
Joined
·
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
err... i should have mentioned that i wasn't very plug-n-wire-literate
but from what you're saying veetec is that the Accel 300+ offer a noticable increase. and that i should get PZFR6F-11's since i'm not running FI (not yet any way)

but this part kinda confuses me

The only decision should be do you want the PFRG7F-11's or the PZFR6F-11's. The 7's are a little colder. The 6's have an extended electrode and are the best imho if you have anything less than forced induction or higher compression, where the colder plugs would help to ward off detonation

maybe because i don't have a full handle of all the parts in the ignition system. could someone please explain the common parts involved in a "plugs and wires" upgrade.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,533 Posts
I recently purchased Magnacor 8.5mm...and was shocked to find they wouldn't fit the type S engine. they where about 15mm too short.
Don't know why this was but I may go to Magnacor in Birmingham (England) to get a set made up.

------------------
 
7

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
NGK copper plugs and Magnecor wires. Even stock wires are very good. I think NGK also makes plug wires for the 5Gen. No need for platinum in my opinion. Copper works just as well. Also, the copper plugs are much cheaper, which is better for me since I change plugs every 10k miles or so.

If you're going to change the plugs and wires, you should go ahead and replace the distributor cap and rotor as well.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,931 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
copper plugs are much cheaper, which is better for me since I change plugs every 10k miles or so.

If you're going to change the plugs and wires, you should go ahead and replace the distributor cap and rotor as well.

</font>
71dsp: Do u get ur plugs, cap & rotor online? If so, what site. Thanks dood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kool-Lude:
71dsp: Do u get ur plugs, cap & rotor online? If so, what site. Thanks dood.

</font>
magnecor wires are very good (i have)....as far as the distributor cap, i've heard oem is the best
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,931 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ahcjar103:
...as far as the distributor cap, i've heard oem is the best
</font>
Pricy at the dealer...any online sites sell oem caps and rotors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
997 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andrewdelvard:
I recently purchased Magnacor 8.5mm...and was shocked to find they wouldn't fit the type S engine. they where about 15mm too short.
Don't know why this was but I may go to Magnacor in Birmingham (England) to get a set made up.

</font>
Really?



------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlueShadow:
err... i should have mentioned that i wasn't very plug-n-wire-literate
but from what you're saying veetec is that the Accel 300+ offer a noticable increase. and that i should get PZFR6F-11's since i'm not running FI (not yet any way)

but this part kinda confuses me

The only decision should be do you want the PFRG7F-11's or the PZFR6F-11's. The 7's are a little colder. The 6's have an extended electrode and are the best imho if you have anything less than forced induction or higher compression, where the colder plugs would help to ward off detonation

maybe because i don't have a full handle of all the parts in the ignition system. could someone please explain the common parts involved in a "plugs and wires" upgrade.

</font>
If you only have a few bolt ons the PZFR6F-11's offer the best performance due to their extended electrode. They also tend to last longer due to their 6 heat range which is higher, they give a more complete burn.

The PFRG7F-11's plugs will only be beneficial to you if you run your car hard for long periods of time. They have a lower heat range, but they also have a shorter electrode, which makes for a slightly less optimum burn.

The PZFR6F-11's run about $19 a piece on average and the PFRG7F-11's are about the same. The Accel 300+ wires run about $42 for a set with my discount. Add another $10+ without the discount.

The 300+ wires can withstand over 600+ degrees F and they are also made with stainless steel and brass terminals providing much better than OEM electrical conductivity. I have tried quite a few with no noticable difference and as soon as I hooked up the 300+ set I experienced a VERY noticable jump in torque throughout the rpm range with a smooth delivery. It felt as if I had added an entire ignition system.

If somebody else here has them I am sure they can vouch for the same results.

I have tried just about every plug out there and the NGK platinums have performed the best in my car before and after the internals build.

I tried the NGK coppers and experienced a slight loss in power, especially in the upper rpm range.

If heat is a concern the NGK BKR7EVX-11's have a slightly lower heat range than the PFRG7F-11's, according tot he NGK rep I have talked with. They also have a tapered ground elctrode to expose the kernel for better burn.

I used them before I went internal and they worked well also. They are also mysteriously cheaper, about $7-$8 a plug even though they are the "VX" series platinums.

[This message has been edited by VeeTec (edited April 05, 2001).]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,863 Posts
N.O.P.I. carries them, but they are on order now, checked yesterday. You can contact Accel direct and order from them.

http://www.mrgasket.com

Click on the ignition wires link.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,863 Posts
Part #7915 Blue, Red, or Yellow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
i got msd wires and denso iridum plugs

i like them i felt a little better throttel response with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
I'm running NGK coppers with magnecor 8.5's.

Magnacor's used to be known for bad fitting but their quality has gone up drastically in recent years. Mine fit perfect. When you get your Magnacor's though, make sure your shop hasn't had them sitting in the shop too long..their is a definite difference between the ones that were manufactured recently vs the ones produced a few years back.

A friend bought some magnacor's two years ago for a prelude vtec and they did not fit as good as the ones I got a few months ago.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
MSD!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
KQ
98 Pearl White SH
92 Baby Blue S (sold)

 
7

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by VeeTec:
If you only have a few bolt ons the PZFR6F-11's offer the best performance due to their extended electrode. They also tend to last longer due to their 6 heat range which is higher, they give a more complete burn.

6 is the stock heat range. Don't go any hotter. Running a plug that is too hot will cause detonation and preignition.

The PFRG7F-11's plugs will only be beneficial to you if you run your car hard for long periods of time. They have a lower heat range, but they also have a shorter electrode, which makes for a slightly less optimum burn.

You can try ZFR7F-11, they are copper plugs, exactly like the ZFR6F-11, but one heat range colder. Extended tip as well.

The PZFR6F-11's run about $19 a piece on average and the PFRG7F-11's are about the same. The Accel 300+ wires run about $42 for a set with my discount. Add another $10+ without the discount.

$19!!! Buy them from Manchester Honda or Honda Parts; $11. Coppers are $2.50 each.

I tried the NGK coppers and experienced a slight loss in power, especially in the upper rpm range.

Is that subjective or did you actually measure this on a dyno?

Do you have a part number on the 300+ wires?

Don't get the wrong idea, I am not trying to flame you, but I noticed that my car "seems" to run better with coppers (my subjective opinion). Also, copper is a better conductor than platinum. The platinum coating is supposed to be for longetivity, and from what I have seen, does nothing for performance.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

[This message has been edited by 71dsp (edited April 06, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by 71dsp (edited April 06, 2001).]
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top