Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to take the doors completely off so I can run a set of wires from the inside into the doors. 5th gens have no easy way to do this so I'm going to remove the doors and drill holes. I checked in my Helms manual and it says to reffer to the 97 prelude body manual for door removal. Well I'm not going out and purchasing this manual so I can remove the doors. Has anyone done this before? I'm looking for any problems I might encouncer and/or things I shouldn't do. Thanks.

Daniel

grnlude97

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rf7475:
Try going here before you remove the doors to do this. Just a thought before you go drilling your doors.
</font>
I'd did that in my friends Integra and I'd rather take the doors off!!! That took along time and was a major PITA. On top of that I wanted to use 11ga for my door speakers...yeah that's right 11ga and there's NO WAY you'll get that through the factory plug using that method.

·
shake dem haters off
2,422 Posts
What? Daniel I remember a nice, sunny day a while back when you helped me put my door panels back on!!
You can put em on, but not take em off?!? Anyways, I took mine off about 2500343 times so if you need any help just call me up.

BTW - I need to take mine off (again) cuz I am going to repaint the lime green part to silver...

------------------
°º CTEC Racing º°
°º Houston Prelude Club º°
°º My Homepage º°

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuDeGirL1004:
What? Daniel I remember a nice, sunny day a while back when you helped me put my door panels back on!!
You can put em on, but not take em off?!? Anyways, I took mine off about 2500343 times so if you need any help just call me up.

BTW - I need to take mine off (again) cuz I am going to repaint the lime green part to silver...

</font>
I'm pretty sure he means the entire door not just the door panel. Really it's the best way to make new holes to run speaker wire through as well as opening up the factory speaker hole to make room for a larger driver. Also if your goig to dynomat the door it makes it much easier then as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Lisa I do remember that day but THATPRELUDEGUY is more on target
I have taken my door panels off a million times as well but I need remove the entire door. In fact right now my car doesn't have the door panels. The only way to effectively use a drill to make a hole would be to take the door off completely. So I need to get it off but I need to make sure it's feasable and that I can get it back on straight! Also I think it would be cool to drive around with no doors HA HA! Anyway THATPRELUDEGUY is right on. The NTPOG way will just plain not work. I need to run 6 wires of large gauge wire so I need to make a hole. So any suggestions?

Daniel

grnlude97

Oh yea... you gonna make your interior look like mine Lisa? I think it would look good... you thief

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
ok, heres an idea!
First park next to a pole. Then open your door and just floor it in reverse!! Kinda like in tommy boy! hehee

no but seriously..thats a good question. I also wanted to take mine off at one time to run some wires but i just dropped that idea.

------------------
93 Prelude SI
Houston Prelude Club

·
Registered
828 Posts
IF you search my name you might find a post where i got ina wreck when i backed into a garage wit hmy door open (long story). Several kind people supplied me with diagrams to take the door off. Its a snap. Like 4 bolts and a wire harness. when u take the door off u should use ur car jack to support the door.

------------------
----99 Prelude----
NTPOG

·
Registered
725 Posts
You can try running the wire to the outside of the car, then drilling in from the outside! Better yet, just drill through your door panel!!

Like I told you earlier, I remember reading that there is some type of alignment stuff that you need to do AFTER you take the door off and try to put them back on so that they fit right. You'd most likely need another person there to help you hold the door in addition of the support from the jack. You can goto an auto body shop and ask them, seeing as how they take doors off all the time.

Why don't you try it out and just wing it? You're a smart guy, I'm sure you can figure it out.

ps: I haven't done the adjustments for my gains yet, been too lazy, wanted to get something to eat and be back in time to watch Boot Camp
. I'll let ya know when I do it, hopefully I won't blow my eardrums

------------------
'00 Prelude
Black 5spd

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HA HA! Buckwild you're crazy! Yea I'm going to drill from the outside in
Funny thing is I could have told you about Boot Camp cause I was watching it 2 hours earlier than you. Actually in the Helms manual it explains how to align the doors if they're not sitting right. There is a perfect explanation on how to align it but when you look at removal it reffers you to a different manual. I think I will ask the body shop since they're wet sanding my kit at the moment. I wonder what they'll say. Regarless I'm going to try it because it's the only way I can think of. Anyone have any idea how much a door weighs? I would imagine it's very heavy. Actually I just want to take them off so I can do driving ala dune buggy

Daniel

grnlude97

1 - 10 of 10 Posts