Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Prelude SH and recently have noticed some sort of knocking or ticking noise coming from the engine. I have done a valve adjustment, checked condition of the LMA's, and replaced the plugs and wires. It felt like a LMA on the intake side of cylinder 3 was a little sticky but not much different than any of the others. I have had 2 different mechanics listen to it and they both said it sounded to them like a knock coming from the head which makes me think it's an LMA from the research I have done. Today I used a stethoscope and think it is probably coming from cylinder 2 or 3 in the lower portion of the head. I have also pulled each plug wire and the noise did not stop when I pulled any of them so I do not believe it is rod knock or wrist pin knock. Also it has been idling very low, anywhere between 300-500. Not sure if the low idle is related or not, but compression numbers are all in between 10% of each another so I do not think it is a bent valve. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had A knocking Noise And it Ended up be #2 rod Bearing and had to have the engine rebuilt. The noise got louder around 2000rpm.
Good Luck
Issac

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Issac. On mine the noise is most noticeable at idle but can also be heard at around 1500 RPM but is less noticeable. Any ideas on what I should next would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a video of the engine as of this moment. It was louder today than the last time I started it, but it seems like the noise varies in loudness. I have not been driving the car and have not had time to address the issue so I have made a video of the noise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did you ever determine the cause of this engine noise. I have a similar noise when the engine gets warm. Compression checked and values were 190-205. Valves have been adjusted on the low end of spec.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is a video of the engine as of this moment. It was louder today than the last time I started it, but it seems like the noise varies in loudness. I have not been driving the car and have not had time to address the issue so I have made a video of the noise.

Any word on what the problem was? I too now, 8 years later, am having the same issue. Changed out the knock sensor, and rod bearings even though the old ones were good. Changed plugs, wires and distributor cap and did a basic lifter test and had no play in the cylinders on the downstrokes from each. I'm at a loss. Any help would be a-mazing! Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts