Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
pin stripe removal... possible paint damage?

when i had my car painted almost 2 years ago, the body shop went ahead and put pin stripes down the sides, even though the car didn't have them when i took it to them.

now, I will need to get some body work done. could a body shop remove the pin stripes for me with minimal to no paint damage? i did it before on my old car, but i dont want to risk damaging my paint and i figure a body shop has more experience with that

·
Registered
200 Posts
Are they painted on or just stickers?? Either way they can be easily removed. If they are painted on... a medium buffing compound should take them off... if not... they can be wet sanded off easily. If they are stickers... you can take them off yourself. You could try a hair dryer or heat gun and your fingernail. Or find a auto parts store or auto body supply store that sells pinstrip remover wheels. You put them in a drill and it's like a big pencil eraser... you just run the wheel along the pinstripe and it turns it to dust without messing up the paint at all. Good Luck.

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
If your talking about the pin stripe stickers, I did this myself. The best time to do it is when its hot out on a sunny day. Let the car bake in the sun for a couple of hours and get the stripes all gooey. Then, just use your fingernail and kinda scratch it off gently.

Sometimes some of the goo stays on though, and you can wax or compound it off somehow.

I will say it looks SOOOO much cleaner though. :bigthumb:

·
`\ (^_^) /`
1,732 Posts
when i got my car, there were some crappy pin stripes through the length of the car and rubber seals on the edge of the doors...and it had been stuck there for probably a year and a half. just put the car out in the sun for awhile, put those fingernails to use, and use some wax to fix it after :) there shouldnt be any damage to the paint.

·
wasting my youth
1,349 Posts
Same, I had the rubber stuff on all the fenders and the doors. Just get a hair dryer, some 3M Adhesive Remover, and some healthy fingernails and have at it.

Claybar/Polish/Wax the paint back to health.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha, i have that rubber stuff on the doors. i put em there cuz the edges of my doors hit my mom's car when i open them in my garage, so i dont wanna chip her paint or mine. heh :)

thanks for the suggestions

1 - 7 of 7 Posts