Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
grrrrrrr
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you tell me what you think of my engine. Looks like some kind of sludge buildup. I'm not really losing oil, just a tad over 4 months so I'm thinking its nothing but to me it doesn't look very good. Basically its building up all down the timing belt side of the motor - right near the end of the motor.

zoomed out shot looking up at the engine. If you look just to the left of the middle, just below where the shadows are you can see the sludge. Oil filter is on the right to orient you

zoomed in shot. Better shot of it:

Add .orig.jpg for bigger shots. So I'm wondering do you think this is just normal crap being thrown up from the axel or do you think this is leaking from that seam running up the engine. I don't have a clue but it looks bad :mad: :(

Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
seems to me like that's old crap built up there. Looks all baked.. like it's been there a while. Doesn't really look like anything that's been happening lately, it's probably just crap from when you had a leak at some point a while ago.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
I think you have a problem with the inner CV joint. That looks very similar to mine when I didnt get the outer band clamp on the boot tight enough. Grease got flung all over the place and built up in certain areas (almost a perfect "ring" of greese was deposited in a circle around the outer band).

It looks way too thick to be oil (oil wouldn't build up in little "piles" like that, it usually forms nice uniform coatings). Stick your finger in it to see of it has the consistency of grease, and check for other areas of build up in an imaginary "ring" around the CV boot.

If it is indeed coming from the CV boot, best bet is to just buy a new axle for like $80 from the autoparts store. You can try rebuilding it yourself, but that is really messy and I found it hard to get the new clamps on tight enough.

·
grrrrrrr
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
red92s said:
I think you have a problem with the inner CV joint. That looks very similar to mine when I didnt get the outer band clamp on the boot tight enough. Grease got flung all over the place and built up in certain areas (almost a perfect "ring" of greese was deposited in a circle around the outer band).

It looks way too thick to be oil (oil wouldn't build up in little "piles" like that, it usually forms nice uniform coatings). Stick your finger in it to see of it has the consistency of grease, and check for other areas of build up in an imaginary "ring" around the CV boot.

If it is indeed coming from the CV boot, best bet is to just buy a new axle for like $80 from the autoparts store. You can try rebuilding it yourself, but that is really messy and I found it hard to get the new clamps on tight enough.
This was my only rational thought too (after the initial freaking). You can see a lot of grease on the joint itself. I'm just not too good at this stuff so thought I'd check with the experts. But yes, it is a greasy sludge, that's actually pretty fresh - not baked on at all. Nice and gooey. Anyway, I'll have to check my helms to see what an axle swap would be like - sounds out of my league.

Thanks for the heads up!

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
axle swap is easy, provided you have a breaker bar and/or an impact wrench.

i had trouble taking that axle off in my car since there's no real place to wedge something to pry it off. i had to sort of improvise a lever with a big 1/2" wrench to get it off the inboard axle.

·
Registered
677 Posts
red92s said:

i had the same situation, and i totally agree with red92s
marsh

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
An axle swap is not too difficult. The most intimidating part is removing the axle nut, which usually requires a breaker bar or long extension. Other than that, its just a matter of taking off the shock fork and seperating the ball joints. I can do it in half an hour after doing my engine swap.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
No biggie, I got the same thing, get some rebuilt axles.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Also adding that it is the CV joint/boot... had the same thing (noticed it sooner, so less grease to clean up) happen about a year ago. Just get it fixed and dont worry. :)

PS: The grease comes off really easy, as far as cleaning goes. After you wip off most of it, spray some "Simple Green" to get it all of. :D

·
grrrrrrr
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
argh - well lets hope it holds up a while longer. I'm driving up and back to Canada this coming week. 600 miles both ways. Should be a good test no doubt.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
yield said:
argh - well lets hope it holds up a while longer. I'm driving up and back to Canada this coming week. 600 miles both ways. Should be a good test no doubt.
Do you hear any noises while driving? You will usually start to hear a "clicking" noise while coasting through turns when the joints are on their last leg. The noise usually gets more persistant as the joint wears.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
yield said:
Ahh, good then - no noises yet but I will keep an ear out for it now :bigthumb:
I don't want to lure you into a false sense of security, because people DO have CV's fail without any noises. However, most of the time (on Hondas at least), a dying axle makes clicking or popping noises while turning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts