Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was wondering if its hard to install a phantom lsd in a 93 vtec. and what do you think about it? 60 ft times improve? not a one tire fryer anymore, easier burnouts? peace

G

·
If you have the money, get a real LSD, you will be happy you did.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

G

·
As for installation, if you can remove the tranny, that's the hardest part. Disassembling the tranny isn't that difficult. Give yourself two days to do it, though.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its too much for the kaaz and the quaife lsd. the phantom is mostly to do burnouts (prelude vtecs are one tire fryers) and to gain 60 ft times? i know the prelude vtecs has zero space to get the tranny out. peace

·
Registered
188 Posts
the phantom isn't a true LSD is it? i thought it was more like a locking differential. can anyone set me straight, or have i got it right?

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by honda_certified:
its too much for the kaaz and the quaife lsd. the phantom is mostly to do burnouts (prelude vtecs are one tire fryers) and to gain 60 ft times? i know the prelude vtecs has zero space to get the tranny out. peace</font>
You get what you pay for. I pulled my tranny out in my garage. It can be done.

Do you know how the phantom works? It puts pressure on the inner gears to make them lock. They will evenually wear, and the diff. will either lock or break. Not to mention that those metal shavings are going somewhere.....

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i know i can take out the tranny, should take some hours though. but what do you guys say about the Phamtom. yeah its cheap but i need traction and i need to warm up both tires. the phamtom is a lsd rite? ive heard many good reviews about phamtom, like auto crossing with it working better than mugen, 60 ft times improving, burnouts, stuff like that? so what do you think i should do - phantom, cheap way, easy lsd or the other lsds - more reliable, better quality, but same features or is that true? thanks

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2.2VTEC:
Or you could just scoop up a Type S LSD like I did.
</font>
Type S has no LSD. You mean SiR S-Spec.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
800 Posts
Oh and you can probably get a Quaife LSD cheaper than the S-Spec one. Unless you find a cheap used S-Spec one for sale.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

G

·
so what do you think i should do - phantom, cheap way, easy lsd or the other lsds - more reliable, better quality, but same features or is that true? thanks </font>
Did you not see my original post?

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey

71dsp.....

Is a 100% Correct.....Phantom Grip is a Cheap Knock-Off, Want-2-Be Garbage...diff.

get the real thing Quaife it's only $895.00

vnt

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
The Phantom differential is a clutch-pack type. It has friction disks that wear with use. Clutch type differentials need to be rebuilt periodically.

The Quaife differential is a true auto torque biasing gear-driven unit. As it is gear driven, it does not require rebuilds at regular intervals.

Performance-wise, they will be similar initially. But as the Phantom's friction surfaces wear, it *will* require being pulled from the tranny and rebuilt eventually.

Andrew

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aklucsarits:
The Phantom differential is a clutch-pack type. It has friction disks that wear with use. Clutch type differentials need to be rebuilt periodically.

The Quaife differential is a true auto torque biasing gear-driven unit. As it is gear driven, it does not require rebuilds at regular intervals.

Performance-wise, they will be similar initially. But as the Phantom's friction surfaces wear, it *will* require being pulled from the tranny and rebuilt eventually.

Andrew
</font>
The Phantom Grip does not use clutches, or friction rings. It achieves a limited slip by exerting force one the planetary gears in the stock differential (more friction = less slip, but more friction also means more wear), which limits the amount of slip. It cannot be classified as a clutch type or torsen LSD.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
My bad. I thought the Phantom was the clutch pack one.

Which one has clutch packs then? KAAZ?

Andrew

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aklucsarits:
My bad. I thought the Phantom was the clutch pack one.

Which one has clutch packs then? KAAZ?

Andrew
</font>
Yes, KAAZ.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
in domestic they say that welding the spider gears together, it will work like a locking differential. do you think this will work on hondas? any body got hookups to get a quaife lsd, cuz im broke?

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
in domestic they say that welding the spider gears together, it will work like a locking differential. do you think this will work on hondas? any body got hookups to get a quaife lsd, cuz im broke?</font>
Do you realize how hard it would be to drive a FWD car if the diff was welded together? Remember on domestics they're tying the rear axles together. Ever been to the track and see one of those cars chirping the tires while turning? it's because the one tire is moving faster then the other so it "skips" try doing that in our cars...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts