Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I already have I/H/E, plug wires, wheels/tires, GC/Koni, Power Slot/Axxis, Strut bar, Corbeau Carrera seats, Momo boot,knob, pedals, and belt pads, OEM carbon fiber kit, and indi-glo gages.

This is what is being planned for the weekend:

1. Pistons (Type S)
2. Cams (Crower Stage 2)
3. Valve springs/retainers
4. VAFC
5. Flywheel (Fidonza)
6. Clutch (Exedy)
7. LSD (Quaif)
8. Cam gears (Skunk 2)
9. Fuel Press. Reg.
10. Pulleys
11. Wings West RS kit
12. Sabelt 3 points.

I am looking for any suggestions, so there you have it.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
god damn.....slow down! heheeh looks good to me.....

as long as you are spending so much $ and you'll have to pull the head, get some head work done at the same time....

Tim

·
Registered
662 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99ludelover:
Ok, I already have I/H/E, plug wires, wheels/tires, GC/Koni, Power Slot/Axxis, Strut bar, Corbeau Carrera seats, Momo boot,knob, pedals, and belt pads, OEM carbon fiber kit, and indi-glo gages.

This is what is being planned for the weekend:

1. Pistons (Type S)
2. Cams (Crower Stage 2)
3. Valve springs/retainers
4. VAFC
5. Flywheel (Fidonza)
6. Clutch (Exedy)
7. LSD (Quaif)
8. Cam gears (Skunk 2)
9. Fuel Press. Reg.
10. Pulleys
11. Wings West RS kit
12. Sabelt 3 points.

I am looking for any suggestions, so there you have it.
</font>

Why not save all that (except for Quaif)
and get JRSC instead?
What is that (all of the above) cost'n you?
including installation?

do u expect to get major horses added
with the above? i think you'd be in for
surprise when u bring it in for dyno after
all of the above mod..

KC

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of it I will get at cost for the parts.
Install is free. A GOOD! friend of mine is a certified mechanic w/ his own shop. He'll only charge for lunch and a 12 pack (after the install). The reason for not getting the charger is I am not sure of the reliability. I don't think that these mods are too extreme and too much for the engine. Plus I am going to go for more of a handeler than straight line speed. I just want to up the power alittle. I plan on more suspension mods in the future. I also quoted with the JRSC and it came to almost a grand more. That's with gages and other things I would get if I went Forced Induction. SO I guess that's how I arrived at my decision.

[This message has been edited by 99ludelover (edited April 03, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
You'll need to buy him more than lunch and a 12-pack, more like 7-14 lunches and several kegs. Do you realize that this is more than a weekend install?

You'll also need to plan on some serious dyno time to tune all of that.

Any reason you want a 3-pt harness instead of a 5? Are you planning to actually race it?

·
Registered
662 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlackMagic:
is that damn thing even out yet?

</font>
Yes it's out. You can just stop by
part store and pick one up (almost).
I will wait however until the first
round of guneapigs land their show and tell.
KC

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dyno yes! there's a guy in my town thats charges $75 or so for five runs. He also helps tune.

Really the only racing I plan on doing is the fun weekends at a local track and auto-xing. But by next year I will probably get more serious. 3 points for now are fine, if I need more then I'll get the 4 or 5's. See, I have the money to blow so that's my reasoning.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen engine swaps done in 10 hrs. I mean the whole thing, they took out the old engine (95 Civic Si) and put in a GS-R motor. I mean they swapped the tranny, half shafts, took out the heater and air condition, and ECU, etc. Only 10 hrs. It will be more than just him working in it. Most likely him, me and another very car smart mechanic on it at once. We're gonna each take a piece of the pie. One will the pistons, the other do the valve train and I'll the tranny stuff. So it wont take too long.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most importantly (this is for 71dsp) I ordered the Helm manuel. We're gonna go over that before we start to make sure that we have everyrthing we need to do it correctly.

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99ludelover:
I've seen engine swaps done in 10 hrs. </font>
Um, an engine swap and dismanteling your engine and putting it back together are two totally different things. It probably will take 10 hours to get the engine in and out but it will probably take over twice that long (with all three of you working on it) to get the engine apart and everything installed.

All I can say is I hope the guy who's doing it owns his own shop. I don't think the owners would be too happy if one of their mechanics had an car/engine tore down in one of their bays that will take the next week to get finished and out.

Gabe

·
Registered
12 Posts
You realize to do the pistons, you have to take the engine out, and rebuild it from scratch right? That isn't exactly fast.

On another note, screw the damn body kit, and get yourself a rear sway bar. You said yourself you are going for a good handling car. Well besides tires, this is the most important modification to making your stock Prelude handle better.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sway bar is in the works, another month or two.

This is his own shop. One big bay. I'm not saying it will take one night but I don't think it will that long! But I'll keep you posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts