Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am now on my second Prelude. My first was an 89 and I now have a 91 with only 124,000km on the clock. I also have a CRV.

As we know, there is a great deal of frustration with the non-availability of OEM parts for all Preludes and I reasonably suspect that this rings true for other Honda models also.

So, in a last ditch effort to try and do something about this, I have formally written (a letter not an email) to the new CEO of Honda Japan, Mr Toshihiro Mibe, to highlight our plight with regards to the availability of spares. Bottom line, if you don't ask, you don't get......so let's see what happens. I understand that there is a cost / benefit activity here and Honda will need to decide whether remanufacturing some or all parts for various vehicles is going to be in their best interest from a business perspective. My assumption here is that Honda still holds the intellectual property & licences for manufacture of many parts otherwise the issue of availability wouldn't exist.

Let's wait and see what happens......

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
In my experience this has not just been Preludes. I have a K24 swapped 1993 Prelude using some RSX Type-S parts.
Getting some of these key OEM parts has become very difficult and you need to get them off another car / eBay.
But, I am also not surprised. These cars are, generally speaking, 20+ years old. Expecting a manufacturer to continue providing a lot of OEM parts that are new is very unlikely.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
I'm also trying to source a bunch of parts for the possible revival of my old Prelude and am having a heck of a time finding some stuff. These cars are old as **** and the market is tiny. Sadly this is just something we have to deal with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A general word of caution.... a number of years ago I put a JDM H22A in my 5th gen Prelude. This required putting several parts for the US model on the engine. I saved some green by getting non Honda parts. MISTAKE. All the parts failed after 35-45,000 miles. They were easy to put on with the motor out of the car. This was NOT the case after installation of the H22A.
Search for NOS Honda parts. It may take a long while, but using them (or OEM sourced- say for your clutch) will save heartache.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also trying to source a bunch of parts for the possible revival of my old Prelude and am having a heck of a time finding some stuff. These cars are old as **** and the market is tiny. This is just something we have to deal with.
Hi G_Loc.
Faced the same problem the other day :( How do you handle the issue with missing parts? Buy them online?

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Hi G_Loc.
Faced the same problem the other day :( How do you handle the issue with missing parts? Buy them online?
You can find a lot on sites like eBay, CarID, and sometimes CarParts.com. For most of the stuff where there is OWEM replacement, assuming you are not looking for performance upgrades, you can use something like Rock Auto.

You can see my link to the restomod project my wife and I are doing for particular products and where we got them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts