Honda Prelude Online banner

Parking brake light wont turn off

39K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  2Frames 
#1 ·
Ok, so for the past two days my parking brake light hasn't turned off even when the e-brake is off. It happens in the mornings on my way to school, then when i get out of school it works normal. Then it happends on my way home from work every night. All I can think is that it has something to do with the cold weather. I know the e-brake is off and I have tried putting it on, then off but the light just stays on. Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it?

#5 ·
If it's not the fluid, it's probably that little sensor that gets stuck when it's cold. Mine always does it when it's cold. As soon as it warms up a bit, it'll go off. There's a post about it here somewhere where they explain where the little button/switch thingy is. I'd find it for you, but I have to get back on the clock and go back to slaving...er...work.

-Andy

#9 ·
I had that situation on my 86 Prelude. Left the car at the airport long term parking. When I got back battery was dead, and the center top rear brake light fitting showed melting signs. After jump starting car, found that the brake lights did not go off. Found that a fitting at the brake pedal had broken off and the brake pedal could not shut off the brake light switch. Installed new fitting and problem was resolved. Found that brake lights activate even with ignition turned off, that's why mine drained the battery. Normally the spring on the brake pedal will shut down the brake light switch.
Horst

#11 · (Edited)
My '00 base is doing this now too! Mostly when it is cold outside and in the mornings. The parking brake light in the gauge cluster stays on. Most of the time it cuts off when the car is warmed but will also cut on and off at weird times. When I replaced my shifter bushings and removed my center console, I checked the wires on the ebrake handle and the little switch. Everything seemed ok. Is there another sensor I can check, somewhere outside of the car? In the brakes perhaps?

*sigh* I swear, this car has more quirks than a one-eyed, left-handed, hemophiliac, retarded kid with OCD. :\

#14 ·
Prelude Intermittent Brake Warning Light

Taken from a pdf from the web:

Subject: Honda Intermittent Brake Warning Light
Vehicle Involved: 1996 – 2000 Civic
1997 – 2001 Prelude, CR-V’s
1998 - 2002 Accord

Condition: Brake warning light may come on after a cold start and remain on
for several minutes and then go out.

Repair Procedure: According to Honda, the most likely causes for the anomaly are either a clogged master cylinder reservoir filter or a defective float. Here’s how to determine which part to replace.
Begin by making sure that the brake fluid is filled to the correct height, and then release the parking brake.
Now remove the reservoir cap and use your finger to make sure the float moves freely up and down. If it sticks or binds replace the cap because it is integral with the float. If the float moves freely reinstall the cap and make sure the float rises to the fluid level. If it stays put or sinks, replace the cap. If it rises to the proper level, remove the cap and disconnect the harness connector at the top.

Now install an ohmmeter across the terminals and manually push the float up and down. You should have continuity when the float is down, no continuity when it’s up.

Replace the cap if it fails the electrical test.

If it passes replace the reservoir filter with the updated part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.