Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking off my AEM CAI to clean it and cut it so it wont be banging up against the front bumper hole thingy, anyways, i was wondering while i have it off. Can i paint it silver or something, bc i really dont want to spend the $30 to get it PC, so if anyone knows if its safe or they have, please let me know :bigthumb:

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
i've painted my intake twice.

once in silver, but i didn't clearcoat it, so the paint started looking like crap after a while.

then i painted it with some black high temp ceramic based paint, cooked it in the barbeque, and clearcoated it. its a different look ;)

Normal paint would be fine, your intake shouldn't get so hot as to start flaking off paint

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was also thinking about painting my intake, with the high temperature ceramic paint. It would also act as a mild heat shield as well right?

·
less whore than before
3,648 Posts
anyone ever tried polishing theirs. I would imagine it would take a while, but if it looks good then it's time well spent.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
i doubt the paint acts as a heat barrier. i mean, the air in the intake is moving so fast, i dont think the temperature of the pipe has too much of an effect on the air temperature, unless of course its drastically lower or higher than the incoming air

·
less whore than before
3,648 Posts
^agreed, even if it did affect the incoming temp it wouldn't be in a big enough way to really make a difference. I'd polish it or powdercoat it...just my $.02

·
Registered
548 Posts
aZnLuDeR82 said:
I was also thinking about painting my intake, with the high temperature ceramic paint. It would also act as a mild heat shield as well right?
yeah, it would. drive around w/ one that's painted (ceramic) and one non, and you will feel a big difference.
give it about 3 coats and make sure you get the inside of the pipe too... it's do-able.

·
Registered
777 Posts
paint wont help, if your going all out, get some home insulation and wrap your intake in that. but i really really doubt paint is going to make any difference at all, maybe disturb airflow and do more harm then good, and have some flake off and fo into your IM. Moral of this post: don't paint the inside of your intake, outside is fine, everyone does it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
ceramic has a highter melting point. it conducts less heat (insulates)... this is a fact.

ceramic coating will retain heat and withstand high temperatures... every bit helps to keep parts cooler under the hood.

y do we have ceramic coated header and heatshield for? to keep temps lower... is it worth it? that's up to the individual as to what they want under their hoods.
i'd just prefer to keep my temp cooler under the hood.

there are other benefits to ceramic coating but i won't get into it now. ....

·
Registered
777 Posts
MadLuderX said:
ceramic has a highter melting point. it conducts less heat (insulates)... this is a fact.

ceramic coating will retain heat and withstand high temperatures... every bit helps to keep parts cooler under the hood.

y do we have ceramic coated header and heatshield for? to keep temps lower... is it worth it? that's up to the individual as to what they want under their hoods.
i'd just prefer to keep my temp cooler under the hood.

there are other benefits to ceramic coating but i won't get into it now. ....
you wont get into it? whats that about. Ceramic coating, i thought we were talkn about painting. Its all for looks

·
Registered
777 Posts
MadLuderX said:
it actually serves a purpose punk
i doubt something that thin is really going to make a difference. Ceramics for high temperature things is not the newest thing under the sun, but its for HIGH heat, i'm talkn HIGHER temps then our little 2.2 rice burners put out. Alot of tubine bearings on jet engines are made out of ceramics, not sure about auto turbines but....
:) haha ellen i know what your getting in your stocking for christmas this year. Lets see you paint your whole engine bay and engine with that stuff, then tell me if you can feeeeeeel that extra pull :p

just dont paint the inside of your intake, i could see that flaking off and damaging stuff down the road

·
Registered
548 Posts
go read up on it then tell me all this...

let's see what aem has to say about this matter.
why would they even bother coating their pipes...they do this for a freakin reason...hopefully we all want to keep thiings a lil cooler under the hood.

i never said u will gain substantial power, i said it will keep yer intake cooler hence keeping the temp a lil cooler and if that's what u want, go for it...if it's not worth it, great.

and i'm only talkin about the ceramic based paint, not regular spray paint... let me clear that part up.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
AEM probably says it because of MARKETING. people will believe anything

·
Registered
298 Posts
MadLuderX said:
go read up on it then tell me all this...

let's see what aem has to say about this matter.
why would they even bother coating their pipes...they do this for a freakin reason...hopefully we all want to keep thiings a lil cooler under the hood.

i never said u will gain substantial power, i said it will keep yer intake cooler hence keeping the temp a lil cooler and if that's what u want, go for it...if it's not worth it, great.

and i'm only talkin about the ceramic based paint, not regular spray paint... let me clear that part up.

Yeah, thats what I thought. I was talking about the high temp ceramic paint too. I know I won't gain HP, but it will help prevent loss of HP.

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
MadLuderX said:
go test it! i challenge you.
If I wrap my intake with header wrap as I am considering doing, I will do before/after IAT datalogs and post them up for everyone. I just have to get off my lazy butt and do it.

Have any of you every touched your intake pipe after you've been driving around for a while? It's fricking hot as hell!

As for any sort of spray paint helping as an insulative barrier, I'm skeptical. However, I have considered sending my intake pipe to Jet Hot to have a functional ceramic coating applied to it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts