Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took advantage of Specialque's Rotora GB and got myself 4 slotted rotors and Axxis ultimate pads. I finally had the time to install them this weekend. All I can say is holy sh*t, I am tired! It took me a good 4 1/2 hours to do everything and that was all under the hot Texas sun. It's all pretty straight forward just like the NTPOG write-up. The caliper bracket bolts on the rear caliper are damn hard to get leverage on, but you can do it with enough trial and error. I also didn't reinstall the stock shims on the rear pads because they did not fit perfectly. The fronts matched up fine.

While I was doing everything I decided to paint my calipers also. I cleaned them up while I still had the old pads and rotors on and spray painted them bright yellow with high temp paint. They look awesome because I have an EGP lude with gunmetal rims with a polished lip. The yellow really stands out and reflects off the polished lip. Yeah yeah, I still don't have a digital camera so I will have to take a bunch of pics of all my mods someday.

The one thing I would say is save the $10 on the tool that twists the rear piston in. It's handy, but I could saved $10 and found something else that would have worked. Also, make sure your C clamp is large enough to go over the caliper completely or pay the $10 to get the brake piston compressor for the fronts. My clamp was not large enough so I had to rig it with a screwdriver which I used to compress the piston with the aid of my clamp pushing it in.

As far as braking, I won't know anything until the pads settle in and I can start putting them to the test. They don't seem any noiser than the stockers so I am pleased about that. It was not an easy job, but you can do it with common tools and a little effort. I like working on my car, but I am relieved it is over. Time to drive! :bigthumb:

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
awesome....how easy was it to paint the calipers and such???

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was easy for me because I just put paper over the splash shield and went to town with the spray paint. Overspray didn't matter because I was junking the old rotors and pads. It would be difficult to paint your rotors on the car if you wanted to keep the pads and rotors because it's hard not to get overspray on them--really hard. You almost have to remove the rotor assembly completely and disconnect the lines. That's quite a bit of work just to paint your calipers if you ask me. That's why I did it when I was already doing everything else. It's not a perfect job, but you can't tell with the wheels on. If I get SS lines, I'll disconnect the caliper assembly completely and do a better job. I didn't feel like bleeding the brakes this time on top of everything else so I just painted them while they were still attached.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts