Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran tonight at the track, and it was my first time running so I was pretty nervous. 1st run I went to shift from 3rd to 4th and accidently put it into 2nd and dumped it and the engine revved to hell and back. The car seemed to run fine so after letting it cool down for an hour or so I ran it again and ran the exact same time and a much better trap speed than before, so it seemed as if the motor was fine. I ran it several times after that and nothing seemed to happen, everything seems fine but is there anything I should look for? Just wanna make sure my engine is ok. Thanks. :(

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
How high could it have gone? There is a rev limiter, and if you didnt hit it then you really dont need to worry...

Id say your safe dude

·
I want to be a raper
2,766 Posts
no, rev limiter only works in upshifts, not when you accidentally shift into a gear lower than the one your in and pop the clutch out

you're pretty lucky, what happened exactly? did you jam the clutch back in when you saw what you did? if you did so fast enough and the car is idling and running fine afterwards then you're ok

lucky for you you didn't bend the valves this time, you'd know if you did because either the car won't start or the idle will be extremely loppy but you're ok, watch your shifts next time

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it's just the first time i've done it and paranoia gets to me, sometimes I gotta hear it from someone else to re-assure myself.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah I pushed it in pretty much as soon as i heard it rev to hell my foot was still on the clutch so it wasn't up there very long. The car is idling fine, consisten 700 like it was before no problems accelerating, and I went on to run my best trap speed and e/t after that so I guess the motor is still strong. I was really nervous the first run and wasn't really thinking. I would think if anything happened it would have been right then like bending a valve etc. But I just wanted to make sure.
Paranoia

·
Wow! Look at that
427 Posts
I did the same thing when I first got my car, the rpms where of the tachometer (probably around 10k) for about a second. I thought I had bent for sure, but it idled find and ran great. I have not had any problems with it I guess I got lucky.
If you are real worried about bent valves I would go buy a compression tester and check the compression.

·
IM CURED!
1,165 Posts
why were you going to 4th gear? i remember when i raced i never went into 4th, red line all the way baby

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I tried staying in the 3rd but it wasn't an option I ran 3rd right up to 8k and I would have hit cutoff before the strip came to an end. I was trapping consistent 92.7+ best trap being 93.9. I was going to give it a compression test but I don't think it would be worth it given I went to run my best trap and 1/4 about an hour later. No way it could have done that with a bent valve.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
you'll hear the engine pop. :laugh:

just get used to VTEC, you'll hear it then you'll know how long it takes for it to get to 8000rpm, then on down shift, you just have to remember that it always rolls up a 2000 rpm+. I think.

if it throws you back suddenly and you hear the tires screech hard, that's another sign of over downshift.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I believe me I know what it sounds like lol. I was just wondering if there was anything I should look/listen for having overreved (top of 3rd downshifted to 2nd meant to hit 4th). But given the 1/4 and e/t's I ran after I'm convinced the engine is perfectly healthy. Especially to get a 14.98 e/t out of it later.

·
Registered
409 Posts
do a compression test.

when i bent mine car still felt just as fast, but idle was a lil lumpy.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Our engines are pretty tough. I have shifted back into 2nd about 3 times now, and my engine is fine. Eventually though, a valve will float, and the old check engine light will come on. I havent done it in a while now, I used to get so nercous at the track, I am much more calm now. You'll know if something is wrong, cause it will run like crap and your CEL will most likely be on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts