Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does this mean? i think i have an idea but i want to be sure.. i hear people talking about the fmax and drag kits running on both modes..

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
LakeMountLude said:
what does this mean? i think i have an idea but i want to be sure.. i hear people talking about the fmax and drag kits running on both modes..
the wastegate controls boost pressure. When the set boost level is set the wastegate opens up and lets out exhaust gases. These gases can go out into the OPEN atmosphere, OR they can be rerouted back into exhaust system (closed loop).

OPen loop offers better flow, at the cost of noise and possible engine bay dirtying (the hole the opens is sometimes pointed right at the engine or car chassis, dirtying it up)

you can see this downpipe here. The smaller tube connects to the wastegate and brings the gases back into the exhaust when it opens up.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
and of course open is more illegal than closed... depending on what state you're in any turbo might be illegal, but i don't believe anyone lets you vent exhaust gases straight into the atmosphere.

LakeMountLude said:

·
Registered
75 Posts
This term also refers to engine control..Closed loop means OBD2 is controlling emitions and Open loop ...the car is out of emitions controls...

but you guys are right about the turbo side of it.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
right, those of you with an a/f gauge can see this in action. when you're just cruising around, the a/f ratio will bounce back and forth from quite lean to slightly rich. it bounces too fast to really tell what's going on at times. when you give it just enough gas, it'll bounce to a certain spot and stay there (hopefully a not too lean spot!) it's actually kinda neat, but fairly useless given the accuracy of the 02 sensor and gauge.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
hopen_luder said:
Closed loop means OBD2 is controlling emitions and Open loop ...the car is out of emitions controls...
Just being a little picky, but OBD 2 has no specification on closed loop control. OBD only specifies how to monitor the Oxygen sensor and detect fault not how to use it to correct fuel. Closed loop auto correction using the O2 sensor is used on almost all ECU's including ones that are not OBD compliant.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Re: Re: Open Loop vs. Close Loop?? im lost

Pure Lude said:

the wastegate controls boost pressure. When the set boost level is set the wastegate opens up and lets out exhaust gases. These gases can go out into the OPEN atmosphere, OR they can be rerouted back into exhaust system (closed loop).

OPen loop offers better flow, at the cost of noise and possible engine bay dirtying (the hole the opens is sometimes pointed right at the engine or car chassis, dirtying it up)

you can see this downpipe here. The smaller tube connects to the wastegate and brings the gases back into the exhaust when it opens up.
That's a sweet downpipe, I wish it was for our car :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts