Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading my recent issue of Car and Driver and the Subaru WRX STi is scheduled to appear in the states by late 2002 or early 2003.

Some info:

"As of this writing, enthusiasts are lining up at Subaru dealers to buy WRXs sight unseen at full sticker price-and then some. That's been enough to convince Subaru that there's enough hunger in the U.S. for small, high-performance vehicles"(duh...)

And some facts,(i'm sure yall know already)
0-60 --4.8
1/4--- low 13's
17.5psi vs 14.2 in the standard WRX
276ps(who knows what the real nubmer will be)
225/45zr-17
12.8 four piston Brembos front
12.4 in the back
"You can thrwo a STi at a corner, delay braking until the last second, jump on the Brembos, get the weight of the car forward, turn in, and jump back on the gas for a lightning-fast exit"---whoa! Can you say "completely impossible" in most cars? I thought only Skylines were capable of doing such moves. Guess not.

And for those of you pondering the Mitsu Evo VII,
"And the STi is easy to live with-relative to previous STi models and its main competitor, the Mitsu Lancer Evo VII. The Evo VII is rumored to be making a U.S.-market appearance in a couple of years. But the STi can actually be driven to work daily(i guess if you can stop driving when you get to work instead of keep driving..hahaha)."

All this for about $30,000, which would undercut the IS300 and the TL-S while spanking both and some real sports cars double the price.

Hmm..now I just gotta get used to the looks till it comes out.

I hope Honda comes out with either a sedan or a coupe(rumored) variant of the S2000. I don't know. The WRX is nice but I'm too much of a Honda fan.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Crunk + Hyphy = Sam
4,989 Posts
I doubt the Sti will be 30k. Probably more like high 30's low 40's for that kind of performance. It'll be sweet though!
SAM

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
I doubt the Sti will be 30k. Probably more like high 30's low 40's for that kind of performance. It'll be sweet though!
SAM
</font>
Naw..no way they'd price it that high. Unless they have morons pricing cars for Subaru. They priced the standard WRX's just right and should do the same for the STi.

If Subaru wants to sell this sucka like they're selling the standard WRX's they better not overprice them. I think even enthusiasts(rich ones) will be hard pressed to cough up 40k for a, well, a Subaru, even if it does perform like advertised.

Remember the SVX? I don't think Subaru wants to make the same mistake 2x. True, the SVX offered much less performance but the idea is the same. Can't price a Subaru that high and expect to sell..

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
826 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnsoncranium:
If Subaru wants to sell this sucka like they're selling the standard WRX's they better not overprice them. I think even enthusiasts(rich ones) will be hard pressed to cough up 40k for a, well, a Subaru, even if it does perform like advertised.

</font>
haha, obviously you do not know how quickly all the special edition 22B models sold overseas, and at what prices... caramba...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnsoncranium:
Remember the SVX? I don't think Subaru wants to make the same mistake 2x. True, the SVX offered much less performance but the idea is the same. Can't price a Subaru that high and expect to sell..
</font>
such was the problem for all japanese performance cars sold during the mid-90s in the states, americans were/are more interested in benz's and SUV's for that money.. but i think the tides are turning... besides that, the north american RX8 and 350Z are going to be priced less than their predecessors, so we may be pleasantly surprised...

------------------
Regards,
Kion (2001 CivicEXCoupe)
AIM - Kion821

(my car on the left, my girl Aishwarya Rai on the right)

·
Crunk + Hyphy = Sam
4,989 Posts
So your saying for 3-4k more, there gonna give you a drastic increase in performance? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT. They might as well stop making the WRX then, why not pay 3-4k more and get those specs? I still hold true to my beliefs that it will be high 30's low 40's. Ask the guys over at iclub.com if you want, I'm sure they'll agree w/ me. You know how many people who bought the WRX will be pissed to find out that a Sti will only cost 30k?

SAM

·
Registered
826 Posts
You know how many people who bought the WRX will be pissed to find out that a Sti will only cost 30k?

</font>
haha, you know how many people who bought a 2001 RS are pissed right now to find out that the WRX woulda only cost em $4k more than their $20k now-obsolete car?

------------------
Regards,
Kion (2001 CivicEXCoupe)
AIM - Kion821

(my car on the left, my girl Aishwarya Rai on the right)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by K i o n:
haha, obviously you do not know how quickly all the special edition 22B models sold overseas, and at what prices... caramba...
</font>
yeap, I know about the success of such cars overseas, namely in Japan. But like you said, that's OVERSEAS. And overseas, they aren't priced in the same category with Audi S4's and E46's. They're relatively affordable.

The tides may be turning, but the Japanese automakers need to induce this tide by offering cars like the WRX at a sensible price.

Perfect example:

MR2 Turbo died cuz no one would pay 30k for it towards the latter years. It sold well in 91' and 92' when it was in the low-mid $20k.

Great cars get killed by their makers all the time(like our ludes, in a way). Just hope Subaru keeps their sensible pricing with the STi.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So your saying for 3-4k more, there gonna give you a drastic increase in performance? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT. They might as well stop making the WRX then, why not pay 3-4k more and get those specs? I still hold true to my beliefs that it will be high 30's low 40's. Ask the guys over at iclub.com if you want, I'm sure they'll agree w/ me. You know how many people who bought the WRX will be pissed to find out that a Sti will only cost 30k?

SAM
</font>
uhh..yeah. Look at how they priced the standard WRX's. and WRX's start at $24.5k and the STi is anticipated at AROUND $30K, which is more like at least $5.5k more. And keep in mind this is estimated. For $5.5k more tho, it better have all those goods.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
713 Posts
I agree with Johnsoncranium on this one... There is no way Suburu will be able to move the STi's if they price them high 30's low 40's. Sadly, 99% of the population finds Suburus laughable. Your typical Lexus & Infinity buyer is NOT going to consider Suburu regardless of the numbers they put out - they just flat out don't know enough to appreciate them.

Who knows, Suburu's pricing "gurus" might get greedy... but if they do, they'll do the high end import business a huge disservice in the long run. Companies like Mitsubishi & Nissan will see the poor sales as an indication the US is still not ready for things like EVO's and Skylines...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Supra turbo,,Rx-7 they were sold at about high 30 - low 40 k,,,and not many people were interested,,,
so yeah,,i think it is reasonable for Subaru to sell it at 30 or low 30k,,,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts