Honda Prelude Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to look into about how much building up my bottom end is going to cost me. Of course I want either Arias or JE 9:1 pistons and Crower rods, but unsure of the exact ones I need for my car. Plus I don't know what dome type to get on the pistons, or what all those added features(like gas porting, shape, etc.) are all about. Also pricing is ???

Also, I know that to build a bottom end of an H22A, I need to resleeve my block- where can I find a resleeving kit for it?>how much?

I think these are the correct Crower rods for the H22A

PART: B93748- but am unsure about "pressed fit" or "bushed" types

I think these are the correct JE pistons...

165052 with the ring set>JC001-3425

OR these Arias pistons...

Honda-87.5TK with the ring set>1515403445

I can't find the compression ratio of the Arias though. Also which do you think is better? Going to try to build up to 15 psi, 18 max, but use 7 now.

Thanks!
Spocko

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am sure other companies do also, but JG Engine Dynamics has replacement sleeves for the h series motors I know.

Not sure on pricing though, sorry.

[This message has been edited by Luder-xhpx (edited May 01, 2001).]

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well you're on the right track. JE or Arias are both great quality. If you read anything on Endyne's board they take the pistons another level and incorporate slightly more efficient flow characteristics by altering the shape of the piston head. JE is 9:1 and I want to say arias is that or 8.8:1... can't remember. JG seems to do really solid work too, so you might talk to them.

I don't know where you could buy the resleeve kit yourself. I was going to leave that to whoever does the resleeve for me.

Depending on how carried away you wanna get you can have the crank lightened & balanced and replace all the rod bearings too while everything's out. OEM Honda bearings are still the best.

I was talking to Jeff at Atomic about doing my complete bottom end this way. Resleeve the block, Rods, Bolts, Pistons, Pins, Rings and completely lightened & balanced crank with new bearings etc and I wanna say it was going to run around $3500.....??? I don't remember if that also included a clutch and lightened flywheel. Obviously you could just resleeve and do rods & pistons for less, but if it's all gonna be out... I figured I may as well go all the way... Maybe it was only $2400, I really don't remember, we kept getting off on tangents and covered a lot of topics.

Also - Just FYI - I don't know if you were thinking about doing it, but there's some debate regarding getting your pistons coated too. Some people have had problems with the Swain Coatings cracking under high HP / Heat applications... but there's no real consensus. Not enough people have had it long enough or been back inside their bottom ends to really come to a conclusion.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Do not use the JE piston rings. JE has been using stock rings recently. Instead, I would go with Total Seal rings. They are around the samr price but total seal quality is a lot better. I currently have Crower's and JE's in my car. Cost to rebuilt my bottom end was $4000. Expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$4000!!! Are you serious! The pistons, ring seals, and rods should run about $1200. Then, add resleeving= $400, plus lightening and balancing the crank= ? plus labor= ? plus opening the head= $300. I come up with about $3000 at most for a complete job. $4000 seems a bit high. Anyone else? Also, I talked to ben at ImportParts today, and he said...

>Dan,

It is not a requirement to resleeve. It is a requirement to have the walls
honed. I would recommend pistons that are 0.20mm over so you can hone the
walls to the specs of the pistons.

Ben Huynh
<

So does JE make a 9:1 CR piston that would fit these specs?

Anyway, I would most likely do the L&B of the crank while it was all open. Maybe even do the stage 1 crower cams, and replace my valve train too. But not until Zdyne releases their ECU. No point in building a bottom end that can handle 18 psi without having a fuel delivery system that can support it.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alberttien:
Do not use the JE piston rings. JE has been using stock rings recently. Instead, I would go with Total Seal rings. They are around the samr price but total seal quality is a lot better. I currently have Crower's and JE's in my car. Cost to rebuilt my bottom end was $4000. Expensive but worth it.</font>
I have HEARD (so take it with a grain of salt) that people using Total Seal rings have experienced a lot of blowby after only a few thousand miles. Even Larry suggests sticking with stock rings.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spocko:
$4000!!! Are you serious! The pistons, ring seals, and rods should run about $1200. Then, add resleeving= $400, plus lightening and balancing the crank= ? plus labor= ? plus opening the head= $300. I come up with about $3000 at most for a complete job. $4000 seems a bit high. Anyone else? Also, I talked to ben at ImportParts today, and he said...

>Dan,

It is not a requirement to resleeve. It is a requirement to have the walls
honed. I would recommend pistons that are 0.20mm over so you can hone the
walls to the specs of the pistons.

Ben Huynh
<

So does JE make a 9:1 CR piston that would fit these specs?

Anyway, I would most likely do the L&B of the crank while it was all open. Maybe even do the stage 1 crower cams, and replace my valve train too. But not until Zdyne releases their ECU. No point in building a bottom end that can handle 18 psi without having a fuel delivery system that can support it.
</font>
Spocko, Spocko, Spocko, if you want quality, you're going to have to pay. Don't take your block just anywhere. Now, you need to ask these guys EXACTLY what is done on their build ups. I would suggest replacing the water pump and oil pump, so there's $150 to $200. Rod bearings and crank bearings are going to run you almost $200 (USE HONDA BEARINGS). Rings are $120 to $150 a set (USE HONDA RINGS). Resleeving isn't too expensive, as long as you don't get those big ass sleeves that people have been using lately (you will run into cooling problems as well).

Don't use a block guard either, unless the engine builder fits it to the block, and drills coolant passages in it. If not, you will have cooling problems.

If you want your engine builder to go over every last detail, check every last clearance, it's going to cost you. You need to figure out how much it's worth to you.

Honing shouldn't cost that much, maybe $80. However, I am unsure about the compatibility between the JE and Arias pistons with the stock bores. What about Endyn? The rollerwave pistons are killer.

If you're going turbo, don't lighten the crank too much, you will compromise its strength.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.