Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this phrase on an earlier post and I wanted to get an opinion as to what constituted "tranny abuse". I have a lot of VTEC guilt sometimes, and I try to limit my forays into the upper rpm range, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything terribly abusive... for example... how bad is it for me to miss the gear and grind it? I probably do that once every 2 or 3 months. Is that tranny abuse. If so, how bad is it on the gears? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
power shifting, grinding gears, and constant hi-RPM shifting would be considered tranny abuse in my dictionary. Actually hi-rpm shifts are more abusive to the clutch than tranny on 2nd thought

When u grind/misshift, ur wearing out the gears as well as the synchros. Any tranny experts out there pls feel free to elaborate on this.

------------------
01' Base 5-Speed
AEM CAI, Neuspeed Frt.Bar, Neuspeed Sports & KYB AGX, Type-R Wing

Parts to be installed-
Apex V-AFC- anyone wanna help me out w/this one??

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Elaboration:
Using too much force when shifting gears, say when the gears are grinding (high RPM) or when the gears won't mesh (at low RPM) can damage the shift forks/rods. By damage I mean bending or wear, either of which will cause misalignment of the gears and further damage, even if you are gentle on it thereafter. Ham-fisted shifting like what you'd do with a Tremec or T-5 is WAY to abusive on Honda trannies. Also, leaving pressure on the shift lever after landing in a gear can cause the same damage.

Essentially everything in our trannies is delicate when it comes to racing. You HAVE to be accurate and "gentle" if you want it to last. Synchros, bearings, and block rings all wear fast in these trannies with excessive grinding.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't clutch-drop or powershift but I do redline gears constantly and am still on the original clutch after 113,000 miles. No signs of giving up anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
if you take all that away:

power shift
high rpm's
clutch-drop

preludes wouldn't be as much fun. Which would bring up the post question.. why did you buy a prelude?

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
A Question related to this subject:

What about shifting really quick? I mean step on clutch-shift into next gear-let out clutch, but done really quickly.( like in less than 0.5 sec) Does that damage the drivetrain? Or do we have to shift nice and slow in non-aggressive driving situations?

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bronx99:
if you take all that away:

power shift
high rpm's
clutch-drop

preludes wouldn't be as much fun. Which would bring up the post question.. why did you buy a prelude?
</font>
Who are you directing this too? There's a difference between being a good driver and being an abusive one, though Honda trannies ride a fine line between taking abuse and being fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EBP Lude:
A Question related to this subject:

What about shifting really quick? I mean step on clutch-shift into next gear-let out clutch, but done really quickly.( like in less than 0.5 sec) Does that damage the drivetrain? Or do we have to shift nice and slow in non-aggressive driving situations?
</font>
Shifting "quick" isn't the problem, it's shifting *hard* or harder than the tranny can physically move. If you're not fast enough with clutch disengagement (or if your clutch fluid is mud, and compresses too much, not moving the clutch as fast) you can be essentially shifting w/o the clutch. Doing this can grind the gears, synchros, and block rings, as well as bending the fork/rod for that gearset.

Speed doesn't have anything to do with it, provided things are meshing properly. That means keeping the clutch fluid clean and a good fluid (Honda MTF) in the box. Redline may (I stress MAY) make it feel better, but I think it does so at the expense of decreased protection against wear.

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Tranny abuse? hm..how about taking off at every stop light at 4-5000 rpms..and also power shifting...

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Who are you directing this too? There's a difference between being a good driver and being an abusive one, though Honda trannies ride a fine line between taking abuse and being fun to drive. </font>
wth.. why would i be telling ppl to abuse their cars and **** up their engines?
let me be more clear:

have fun with your car.. life is short, don't die regretting what you could have done

1 - 10 of 10 Posts