Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so i just rebuilt my head and my car is running great and is much faster. (my old valves were burnt and had tons of sludge on them) so i just noticed my car is leaking alot of oil from the back of the engine. it looks like its coming from the my head gasket :eek: my question is, can you leak oil externally from the head gasket and still have the car run perfectly?

·
Registered
77 Posts
BUMP. Looking for a similar answer.

I've been searching the forums to educate myself as to how detrimental an oil leak from the head gasket is... having trouble finding a thread that relates exactly to my situation.

My situation:
97 Lude has had a slow oil leak originating from the rear side of the engine where the head and block meet. (head gasket leak?)
The head has never been removed (so it's not like i f***ed something up by doing a rebuild or anything.)
Have had this leak for the last 20k miles at least.
Leak not getting any better or worse.
I wouldn't even notice the problem if it weren't for the oil spots on my driveway.

Not causing any real problems yet. Question is.... will it likely develop into a case of "blown head gasket" in the future? Not having any coolant leaks or any coolant issues at all.

:rolleyes: i hate asking newb questions like this but i've been a little preoccupied with medical school anatomy to really devote any time to honda prelude anatomy lately...

·
Registered
59 Posts
uh, I wouldn't drive if there is any oil coming out of the head gasket. Are you sure its not the valve cover? I would also check the coolant for oil and vice versa. I would also look at the cam seals, a picture would really help. Oh BTW what brand and where did you purchase this said gasket OP

·
Registered
77 Posts
uh, I wouldn't drive if there is any oil coming out of the head gasket. Are you sure its not the valve cover? I would also check the coolant for oil and vice versa. I would also look at the cam seals, a picture would really help. Oh BTW what brand and where did you purchase this said gasket OP
def not a valve cover leak. oil driping can be traced to where the block and head bolt together, on the back side. original factory gasket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i got the same problem and im searching around to find out if i should change the head gasket, but mine has oil coming from all around were the head meets the block

·
It's a V6, right??
427 Posts
You said you had the head rebuilt so....they probably machined it flat. Did you check the block with a straight edge to ensure it didn't need to be machined? Or could there be any contaminant on either of the mating surfaces that was not cleaned off, ie: sand, old gasket material?

Now to admit the biggest mistake in my life as a mechanic, which caused a problem IDENTICAL to yours.......I installed the headgasket on an Accord upside down:dumb:

What I'm trying to say overall, as crappy as it is, is that your head needs to be removed again.....sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts