Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small oil leak that drips onto the exhaust pipe, just a few drops after a 30 minute or so drive and makes smoke when parked and engine off. Oil cooler and engine block is dry as a bone but the filter has oil residue on it. I replaced the filter and still have the same situation. I plan to replace the cooler o-ring at some point due to it's tendency to spring a leak. I've replaced the cam cap, distributor o-ring, V-Tec solenoid gasket, and valve cover gasket. I'm wondering if I have bad filters. I bought a bunch to save me trips to the parts store due to distance. Any thoughts?
2000 Prelude. Bought new in 2000. Garaged all it's life and never driven in winter.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
so I replaced the oil cooler o-ring last weekend. I still get a drip on the exhaust pipe and the drip is coming from the back of the oil filter. Engine block is dry as a bone. I bought a bunch of the OEM PN 15400-PT7-005 filters a long time ago and I'm wondering if I have a bad batch of filters. Everything indicates that the leak is from the filter.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did you inspect the oil cooler to see if it is not damaged? Maybe the filter doesn't sit flush with the oil cooler. Have you tried doing a dye test to see exactly where the oil is coming out of?

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did inspect everything and everything looks good. Everything mates up as it should. I've been the only one who has maintained the vehicle so no grease jockey got his hands on it to damaged anything. I put the car away for the winter last fall and all was well. The old o-ring was indeed bad. it was hard and flattened when removed. I bought some new OEM oil filters, the long skinny ones. Haven't tried them yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll get underneath and try again. Is there such a thing as too high oil pressure?

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. I broke out the service manual and looked at the oil pump. The oil pump has a pressure relief valve which I was not aware of. I suspect it is stuck or sticking from the car being in storage for 6 months. This might explain why I don't see a leak at idle or low rpms.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's going to be quite a bit of work to get the oil pump out and clean the pressure relief valve to get it unstuck. If you end up doing this work, could you do a step guide or video? Let me know how it turns out. I haven't done this on my Prelude, if you see some benefits I'll definitely do it on mine.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: Yes, I would definitely do a write up for the group but it's looking like I may not have to do that at least not right now.

I ran 2 quarts of Rislone through the engine and let it sit for a week or so. Took it out for a 15 minute spin today and can say, no oil filter leak on this drive unlike previous 15 minute drives. Possibly I nailed it down and that is using the original oil filter PN. Going to do another drive tomorrow just to cycle the engine temp and see what happens. If all goes well, the new oil filter PN goes on with an oil change. I'm still not confident though. Got 2 variables that need to be eliminated. One is the old filter PN, the other is abnormally high oil pressure. I bought an oil pressure gauge to test but I'm hoping I don't have to go down the road just yet and the old style filter is the issue. Cross your fingers. Keep you posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts