Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, all. Not sure if you saw the other thread, but...

I'm doing an analysis of filters available for the Prelude (to fit the stock location). So far I've cracked open:

- Bosch Premium
- Fram Extra Guard
- Fram Tough Guard
- Honda (Canada)
- Honda (JDM)
- Honda (US)
- Mobil 1
- STP

I should be able to get Napa and Wix as soon as I get my lazy ass to the store. I've found out some VERY interesting things about these filters.

What I'd like from everyone out there is if you have a filter of choice, or know of a filter NOT on thie list, please let me know. I will do my best to procure one but donations of the filter would be even more appreciated : ) I will dissasemble the filter and take measurements as I have done the others.

If you want to see what my analysis will look like, check out:

http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html

My page/analysis will be patterned after this one. I also plan on providing more data related to flow as well as analyzing the filter rate of the media.

Again, I'm going to need help to come up with more filters- I've about exhausted what my local stores carry. I'll be happy to give credit on the NTPOG site to anyone kind enough to donate a filter (plus you get to see what you're putting in your engine!).

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Some of the filters I've used before are:

• Purolator
• Quaker State

------------------
94 Prelude VTEC

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Marcucci,

I can get a hold of a "Mighty" brand filter. It's what a place uses that I used to work at. As far as I know, you can't get them as a comsumer, but if it would be worth it to you, I'll go out there and see if I can't get one of the managers to snag me one. Send me an email and let me know!

[email protected]

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smoothludey:
Do you want new or used filters?</font>
Preferably new (not as messy) and I can get a better idea of what the media looks like. I was going to take apart a used (Canadian) Honda one to see what the Frams look like with some hard miles on them. I'd prefer new, though, for one I haven't seen yet.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pete:
God bless you, Marcucci!
</font>
Thanks. I get tired of asking questions people don't know the answers to, though. God Bless Billy while we're at it : )

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:

I'm going to call them on Monday to see if I can get a Spoon drain plug set.
</font>
Last I checked they did not carry them yet, but if they do tell me cause I want to get some (Spoon drain plugs that is). I think Godspeed might have them though.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

[This message has been edited by Gabe (edited April 20, 2001).]

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gabe:
Last I checked they did not carry them yet, but if they do tell me cause I want to get some (Spoon drain plugs that is). I think Godspeed might have them though.

Gabe

</font>
OK well I'll try them first so I can get that filter at the same time if thye do have them. Do you have a link for Godspeed?

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thatchmaster:
Marcucci,

I can get a hold of a "Mighty" brand filter. It's what a place uses that I used to work at. As far as I know, you can't get them as a comsumer, but if it would be worth it to you, I'll go out there and see if I can't get one of the managers to snag me one. Send me an email and let me know!

[email protected]

-Erik

</font>
Sorry for the delay, I completely missed the post. Yes, I'd be interested. If it's not available to the general public, how do you get it? Like only to lube places or shops, or fleet vehicles?

Thanks!

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
OK well I'll try them first so I can get that filter at the same time if thye do have them. Do you have a link for Godspeed?</font>
Yeah it's http://www.godspeed-motorsports.com but they don't have online ordering. The only reason I haven't got one from them yet is I'm too lazy to call.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
...If it's not available to the general public, how do you get it? </font>

I used to work at this lube shop. I'll stop down there and see if I can get one..

-Erik

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am interested in the HAMP Oil Filter. Yeah, yeah, they cost $12 each, but I say if you can afford a Lude, you can spend $72 or so on good filters. I am currently using the US made OEM filter and would love to get a hold of the Japanese made OEM filter or the HAMP filter. Does anyone have any thoughts on the oil filter situation? I only want what's best for my Prelude.

------------------
2000 Prelude Base 5sp.
1989 Accord 4DR LXi Auto

"If They Don't Like It, F*ck 'Em"

·
Registered
416 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Honda 1:
I am interested in the HAMP Oil Filter. Yeah, yeah, they cost $12 each, but I say if you can afford a Lude, you can spend $72 or so on good filters. I am currently using the US made OEM filter and would love to get a hold of the Japanese made OEM filter or the HAMP filter. Does anyone have any thoughts on the oil filter situation? I only want what's best for my Prelude.

</font>
sheez.

i thought i was doing right by buying honda oem(us) filters..

that's all i've been using...got like 6-7 in my garage right now.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Im using the Purolator

------------------
If you only knew the power of the Lude...
'98 Red Base Prelude
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - SCCA Solo2
AEM CAI, APEX-i VAFC, Neuspeed Ft Up Strut Bar, 28 mm Neuspeed RR Sway Bar, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, and SH RR Deck installed. Shock knock cure done. Installing Quaife ATB Differential.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
i have a couple of Castrol MaxPro filters lying around, but they're for my bro's Maxima. i've already used up the Honda ones.

I've also used Purolater PureOne filters.. i've read somewhere that it's as good as the Mobil One filters..

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm not sure if they are available for our cars but how about NAPA. I heard that their Napa Gold filters are really good. I've been using a K&N.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think the Castrol Max Pro filters are made by WIX ... but that's merely a guess. WIX makes NAPA filters and NAPA has two grades, a "Gold" and a "Silver." I'm think the Castrol filters are the "Silver" ones and I'm almost positve that the NAPA Gold are the better ones made by WIX. If you hold the two and compare them side by side, the Gold filter is significantly larger.

Looking at a cutaway of the WIX/NAPA Gold #1334, I'm a little disappointed in the small filtration cartridge stuffed into an oversized shell.

I'm sticking with the $4 OEM filters.

Purolator Pure One filters are very good but in the following cut-away comparison, the Honda/Filtech filters had the most amount of filtration area and their internals are well made ... unlike the Fram's cardboard innards.

http://www.tech2tech.net/library/oilfiltr.htm

--- Bror Jace

1 - 20 of 27 Posts