Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whoever did my last oil change overtightened my oil drain bolt BAD!!!! when i tried to do an oil change tonight, i couldn't break it loose for nothing and ended up stripping it
do you guys know if i can find a replacement one at pepboys or kragens or something? or do i need to go to a honda dealership?

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
BEECH! :D Your a corrupt mod I tell ya! :D ........You're my hero :D</font>

·
Registered
419 Posts
got mine from honda... cost less than 2 bucks. did you get it off? my bolt was rounded as well but i applied intense force onto the top of the bolt and bleh.. other people suggested you drill a slit into the bolt and use a screwdriver.. you'll need strong grip on a screwdriver though. also i tried and failed but you can apply tape around the bolt and jam the socket wrench over this tape as to mold your own hex.. and it should come off.. the reason i failed was cause i did not have duct tape and was forced to use scotch, which really didn't go to well so i gave up and went bezerk on the damned bolt.

------------------
-Eric
97 Nordic Mist Prelude

while i go take more.. "pleasing" pictures you'll just have to deal with this one. now wheres that dig. cam?

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:
whoever did my last oil change overtightened my oil drain bolt BAD!!!! when i tried to do an oil change tonight, i couldn't break it loose for nothing and ended up stripping it
do you guys know if i can find a replacement one at pepboys or kragens or something? or do i need to go to a honda dealership?

</font>
What did you use to try to get the bolt off with?? That's why I hate 12 point sockets and wrenches. For high torque use, only use 6 pt. wrenches and sockets.

I would buy a new one from the dealer.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
What did you use to try to get the bolt off with?? That's why I hate 12 point sockets and wrenches. For high torque use, only use 6 pt. wrenches and sockets.</font>
thanks you guys! yeah i had to use a 12-point wrench, since the space there is too tight and i couldn't get my ratchet/6-point socket in there. and hey, i didn't know 33lb-ft is THAT tight either

no etherealude, i couldn't get it off, so i think i'll have midas help me out (again). i'll have them break the sucker loose and then i'll go home and replace the bolt.

thanks guys!

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
BEECH!
Your a corrupt mod I tell ya!
........You're my hero
</font>
[This message has been edited by o0OO0o (edited April 14, 2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts