Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a oil cooler on there 5th gen prelude? Greddy makes a oil cooler and oil block adapter. I know there is not much clearance where the filter screws on but, is it possible? The greddy block adapter is for all hondas and the cooler is for a accord.

------------------
~Aem CAI~
~Neuspeed STB~
~Apexi VAFC~
~UR SS Pulley set~
~Catz Zeta 00~
~18" Katana Ducati w/Nitto 450's

·
Registered
188 Posts
i've seen an oil cooler on a 5th gen, but i can't remember what his name is. so basically i'm not much help, but it has been done, so there ya go.

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eluder:
Does anyone have a oil cooler on there 5th gen prelude? Greddy makes a oil cooler and oil block adapter. I know there is not much clearance where the filter screws on but, is it possible? The greddy block adapter is for all hondas and the cooler is for a accord. </font>
There really isn't enough clearance for a thick sandwich plate and the filter. If you're going to do it, you will need to use a block off plate with a remote oil filter, thermostat, and cooler (of course).

What are you planning on using the car for? An oil cooler is completely unnecessary on a stock car, or even one that only sees a little racing.

By far the best coolers on the market are stacked plate coolers, e.g. Mocal, Setrab, and Earl's. I believe GReddy's is a stacked plate design, but far over priced, in my opinion. You don't need a very large cooler either, as the Prelude already has a cooler on the block. A 13 row full width Mocal is more than sufficient for a slightly modified 5Gen race car.

As for tubing, I would NOT recommend using rubber tubing. Use braided stainless all the way. -8AN minimum. I would suggest -10AN. Keep in mind that this tubing is almost the size of a garden hose, so you will have to figure out how to run it through the engine bay (a problem I am dealing with). Also, stainless bradied tubing is VERY abrasive, so you don't want it rubbing on any engine components.

A thermostat is not 100% necessary, but if you're going through the expense, you should just go ahead, spend $100 more, and buy one.

When using a remote oil filter mount, I would use a larger filter. The PH8 Ford size filters work wonderfully, but they are quite large. The upside is the added oil in the system, the downside is finding a place to mount it.

All in all, I would expect to spend the following amounts;

Oil cooler; $120
Tubing; $100
Fittings; $70
Thermostat; $80
Oil filter mount; $30
Block off plate; $30

If I remember correctly, the Greddy kit does not include a thermostat.

If you are wanting to try a sandwich plate, I have a very low profile thermostatic sandwich plate (i.e. it has a built in thermostat) made by Mocal, with a custom bolt for the H22 block. The sandwich plate is off the shelf, but the bolt is custom made. That way, you have two options; replace the stock oil cooler with the sandwich plate, or put the sandwich plate on top of the stock oil cooler. I believe that the clearance would be VERY tight with the sandwich plate on top of the stock oil cooler. If you remove the stock oil cooler, there's plenty of room for the oil filter. The parts are threaded for the Honda oil filters. If you are interested in it, let me know. It's never been used, and I am willing to sell it for a good price. I am not going to use it because we are working on a block of plate for a remote oil filter.

Again, assess your needs. Oil needs to be kept at a particular temperature, and daily driving does not elevate the temperature to dangerous levels, so usually an oil cooler is not needed.

If anyone is interested in that thermostatic sandwich plate, let me know.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
You can get one of these at J.C. Whitney for less than $20. Probably a lot of other places, too.

It wraps around your oil filter. The fins dissipate some heat. Maybe a gimmick, but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited April 13, 2001).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 71dsp. You're information was very useful. I was considering the mod because a friend of mine has a neuspeed oil cooler in his vW and it substantially decreased engine temperature. The temperature was around 170. Plus relocating the oil filter will make it alot easier to change it.

------------------
~Aem CAI~DC Short shifter
~Neuspeed STB~Catz msx
~Apexi VAFC~
~UR SS Pulley set~
~Catz Zeta 00~
~18" Katana Ducati w/Nitto 450's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts